Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had 2 trips this month to london (about 130 miles each way) on my 41kwh zoe, so i definately needed a good 1h-1h30 (rapid) charging there

i was there on both trips for 5-6 hours doing a job, but sucks that i couldnt charge while working because of the 60-90min limit at chargers
While there was plenty of chargers and mostly available, they all have limits, so i had to do all my 5-6 hours of work, and then sit at the charger for 1 hour+ waiting for it to charge, which at the end of a days worth of work was a bit of a pain.

Does anyone feel that there should be more car parks with slower charging, for example you pay per hour for a car park (price is irrelevant) but then there would be 3/7kw chargers available there for long parking? a "7kw" long parking charger would have avoided me from having to sit at the charger on both my trips.
Are there many chargers like this out there or when you're away you either "fast charge" or park on a normal car park and then have to sit at a charger?
Thoughts?

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
17,717 Posts
Does anyone feel that there should be more car parks with slower charging, for example you pay per hour for a car park (price is irrelevant) but then there would be 3/7kw chargers available there for long parking?
Yes.

But the obsession is with rapid chargers right now.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Does anyone feel that there should be more car parks with slower charging, for example you pay per hour for a car park (price is irrelevant) but then there would be 3/7kw chargers available there for long parking? a "7kw" long parking charger would have avoided me from having to sit at the charger on both my trips.
Agree it's a pain not to be able to charge while you were busy.
Also agree on the need for a good mix of charging points. In our area train stations seem to be the most common spot to find a 7kW post, which makes sense for commuters who use the train. A new train station I was at had like 8 x7kW posts and 1 50kW rapid. If the rapid had worked, it would have been an impressive setup :)

·
Registered
135 Posts
Destination charging is key long term. I would happily see twice the number of 3kW posts in somewhere like a station car park or other long dwell time area than there is 7kW - and the obsession with rapids is damaging to any kind of progress in this area.

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
Oxford's Westgate shopping centre has about 50 7kW free chargers straight ahead from the entrance, so though it's more expensive than the Park & Ride, I'll deffo be using it when we go there in Ioniq, as the value of the charge will defray the difference, and the extra convenience is huge. Already used it in Ampera, but that can only take 12 kWh from the EVSEs.

·
Registered
Zoe ZE50 GT Line R135
225 Posts
Agree - we need more chargers at different speeds so that the time taken to charge matches the time you want to spend parked up. Or just more chargers in general, so overstaying is no longer a problem!

As much as I like rapid chargers, more often I find that my car is charged sooner than I need.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Personally i find the lack of destination charging more frustrating than the lack of rapids. There are "enough" rapids about that you can generally find one and get a charge. But i dont want to have to sit at a charger for half an hour+, especially if you've been somewhere all day and just want to get home. The result is if i'm going for a day out somewhere with the family, which is far enough outwith the range of the car that its going to require such a charge, and theres no suitable destination charging, i'll end up just taking the V8 instead.

I guess its an issue thats more relevant in smaller battery cars too, as generally in a larger battery car, journey lengths get long enough that by the time you need to charge you want a stop anyway, and can line it up with a rapid.

The OP's example is sort of a perfect storm. Its a journey where each leg is a significant portion of the cars range, but not really long enough to need a stop enroute. Combined with a car that charges very slowly. I am surprised theres not some slow chargers about though, i'd have thought in a big city there would be lots of them!

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Personally i find the lack of destination charging more frustrating than the lack of rapids. There are "enough" rapids about that you can generally find one and get a charge. But i dont want to have to sit at a charger for half an hour+, especially if you've been somewhere all day and just want to get home. The result is if i'm going for a day out somewhere with the family, which is far enough outwith the range of the car that its going to require such a charge, and theres no suitable destination charging, i'll end up just taking the V8 instead.

I guess its an issue thats more relevant in smaller battery cars too, as generally in a larger battery car, journey lengths get long enough that by the time you need to charge you want a stop anyway, and can line it up with a rapid.

The OP's example is sort of a perfect storm. Its a journey where each leg is a significant portion of the cars range, but not really long enough to need a stop enroute. Combined with a car that charges very slowly. I am surprised theres not some slow chargers about though, i'd have thought in a big city there would be lots of them!
there was probably many 3/7kw chargers in the area, (west london) but obviously while i had 20 rapid chargers within 3 miles, i didnt have any long parking charging point nearby where i could just park before heading to the job. Would of been nice if i could just park someone, leave it charging all day, do the job and come back to a charged car, or partially charged car, wouldnt even minded if was just 3kw, 7 hours on 3kw would probably given me enough charge to drive back home

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
Could you not just go out after 60mins and restart the charge? Stop it then start again or use a 22kw AC destination charger nearby maybe?

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
Had 2 trips this month to london (about 130 miles each way) on my 41kwh zoe, so i definately needed a good 1h-1h30 (rapid) charging there

i was there on both trips for 5-6 hours doing a job, but sucks that i couldnt charge while working because of the 60-90min limit at chargers
While there was plenty of chargers and mostly available, they all have limits, so i had to do all my 5-6 hours of work, and then sit at the charger for 1 hour+ waiting for it to charge, which at the end of a days worth of work was a bit of a pain.

Are there many chargers like this out there or when you're away you either "fast charge" or park on a normal car park and then have to sit at a charger?
Thoughts?

On the flipside, how would you feel if someone could park there for 5hrs without penalty and did the same with their Zoe?
I bet you'd feel a bit peeved about it and wish they would do something about it.

·
evezy referral code d6540
3,158 Posts
Westfield Shopping Centre?

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
On the flipside, how would you feel if someone could park there for 5hrs without penalty and did the same with their Zoe?
I bet you'd feel a bit peeved about it and wish they would do something about it.
there was 20-30 rapids within 10 miles, all available/not in use. that's my point. there's plenty of rapids without any cars on them, I wouldnt stop anyone from being able to charge. My point is that i couldnt charge while i worked, and instead had to work while my car was sitting on a car park with empty battery and then charge after work for 1 hour when i could be driving home. I rather have more 7kw+long parking chargers than 5x 43kw chargers from different suppliers on the same street but with 60-90min limits, or at least at every rapid, instead of 1-2 rapid bays, have 1 rapid and 2-3 slow ones (7kw type 2) with longer parking

1 - 12 of 12 Posts