Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can get the e-Niro 4 to schedule the intended charge accurately if I require all the charging to be within the "reserved period" (i.e. night time rates). But tonight I want it to charge to 100% so some charging will have to be outside the reserved period as I am using a 3.5 kilowatt charger which will take approximately 11 hours from 53%.
I have set departure time to 10.30 tomorrow. If I alter the charging preferences from "off peak tariffs only" to "off peak times prioritised" and connect the car it begins charging immediately which will mean that it will have finished charging fairly early in the off peak period. I want it to prioritise the off peak period. How do I do that?

·
Registered
298 Posts
I can get the e-Niro 4 to schedule the intended charge accurately if I require all the charging to be within the "reserved period" (i.e. night time rates). But tonight I want it to charge to 100% so some charging will have to be outside the reserved period as I am using a 3.5 kilowatt charger which will take approximately 11 hours from 53%.
I have set departure time to 10.30 tomorrow. If I alter the charging preferences from "off peak tariffs only" to "off peak times prioritised" and connect the car it begins charging immediately which will mean that it will have finished charging fairly early in the off peak period. I want it to prioritise the off peak period. How do I do that?
Set to "Off peak times only" then extend the Off peak ending time to 10:30. The car will start charging at the off peak start time and continue charging until 10:30am or when the car gets to 100% whichever is first.

Don't forget to reset the off peak end time afterwards.

John.

Reactions: peterca

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
1,399 Posts
Change your charge limit to 100%, otherwise the charging will stop early!

Reactions: peterca

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Set to "Off peak times only" then extend the Off peak ending time to 10:30. The car will start charging at the off peak start time and continue charging until 10:30am or when the car gets to 100% whichever is first.

Don't forget to reset the off peak end time afterwards.

John.
Thanks very much. A great suggestion.
I am still puzzled as to why it does not prioritise the reserved charging time as requested - but your suggestion is a good work around.
Oh for the simple life of the Leaf where you just set a starting time and a finishing time!

·
Registered
298 Posts
Like all eNero/eKona owners, my self included, we have all assumed that "Off Peak Prioritised" means that the car should start to charge at the off peak start time and continue charging until the SoC set limit is reached. That is NOT what the car does!

The car looks at the SoC and the target SoC limit that is set (100% in this case) and calculates how long it will take to reach that SoC. If it's longer than the off peak charge period you've configured (say 7 hours for an E7 tariff), then the car just starts charging immediately.

To me, that's "Charge Limit Prioritised".

The only way to get round that is to use the method I sugested above

Off Peak Only:- Set mode to Off Peak Only and set start and end times to match your tariff. The car charges from start time to SoC set limit or end time, which ever is sooner.

Off Peak Prioritised :- Set mode to Off Peak Only and set start time to match your tariff start time and end time late enough to allow a full charge. (I set end time 9 hours after start time, which means I have a 2 hour buffer at the end of my seven hour period if I need it).

This means that I can set the charge limit to 80% and know that the car will always get to that limit within the 7 hour E7 time period (unless I've run the battery well below 20%), or if I need a full 100% I'm happy for it to run an hour or so into standard rate to do that.

John.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The only way to get round that is to use the method I sugested above

Off Peak Only:- Set mode to Off Peak Only and set start and end times to match your tariff. The car charges from start time to SoC set limit or end time, which ever is sooner.

Off Peak Prioritised :- Set mode to Off Peak Only and set start time to match your tariff start time and end time late enough to allow a full charge. (I set end time 9 hours after start time, which means I have a 2 hour buffer at the end of my seven hour period if I need it).

This means that I can set the charge limit to 80% and know that the car will always get to that limit within the 7 hour E7 time period (unless I've run the battery well below 20%), or if I need a full 100% I'm happy for it to run an hour or so into standard rate to do that.

John.
Thanks very much for this suggestion. It worked very well last night. I shall ignore "Off Peak Prioritised" in future.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts