Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Noticed something today, when using the DC (Chademo) you can charge to 80% or for a max of 40 mins if you select time

When using the AC side no such time limits for charge levels seem to exist, at least not ones you can configure.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Depends on the rapid. MK and others let you charge to 100% and do not limit time either (on DC).

Seems to be pot luck.
my point was more that there are controls that allow you to vary the time or charge level on the DC side, on the AC side there are none, so I wonder if they cut out at 80% or 40 mins like the DC side (MK excluded :)

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
so this could cause some people to get annoyed at tesla owners, if the charger just keeps running for a long time (1-2 hours) the owner may not return, so others could be left waiting. If it cut out every 40 mins at least you know the owner will return

·
Premium Member
8,939 Posts
so this could cause some people to get annoyed at tesla owners, if the charger just keeps running for a long time (1-2 hours) the owner may not return, so others could be left waiting. If it cut out every 40 mins at least you know the owner will return
Or if we get organised and get ChargeBump out there... ;)

But yes, you could have folk sitting on chargers for hours. I myself am guilty of this once when I got caught in a meeting that took a rather unexpected turn and I was plugged in at IKEA. Fortunately with the LEAF others can unplug it when it's full, or I imagine I may have really peed off a few people.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ref chargebump - was not going to mention that

The tesla locks the type 2 into the car so none can unplug you :-(

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Doesn't the lock only apply to the slow charge port? The Chademo connectors are locked by the charger not the car.

Reactions: Simon Hewison

·
Registered
964 Posts
I came across a red 85 Kw model S recently charging on the Warwick South rapid. I needed a small charge to get home from the Formula E test session on 3rd July and had 3 people in the Leaf.

It was charging on the AC side so I got out to look at the timer clock to see how long it would be on charge and there wasn't one:confused:.

From memory I thought it could be charging at 11kw or 22kw on the AC side so potentially there for a very long time so after I checked there was no phone number visible in the car I went inside looking for the owner as I assumed he would be keen to be keeping an eye on his nice new car.

I asked several people in the right area in the golfish bowl if the Tesla was theirs but most looked baffled at the Tesla clue. I was a bit surprised I couldn't find anyone so we went to leave and as we drove off my eagle eyed passenger looked back to see 2 guys getting in quick and driving off without wanting to be socialble before we had reversed back on to the charger in seconds.

It would make a great get away car!

Hopefully more Tesla owners will be like you Jon and take the trouble to at least leave a note (prefferably a tenner:p) to cover for the lack of info on the screen of the DBT chargers when the AC side is in use.

·
Premium Member
446 Posts
It was charging on the AC side so I got out to look at the timer clock to see how long it would be on charge and there wasn't one:confused:.

From memory I thought it could be charging at 11kw or 22kw on the AC side so potentially there for a very long time:p
AC charging on the ecotricity rapids is at 43kW but the display on the charge point offers no clue about how long we've been plugged in. I have my Zoe set to leave the dashboard illuminated whilst charging so that anyone wanting to know how long I'll be can see my SOC and time remaining to fully charge. I return at least 5 mins before the end as I never wait for 99% to roll over to 100% and the whole process takes less than 30mins with a 22kWh battery

Reactions: Paul

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
No the tesla will charge at either 11kw or 22kw on the AC side, depending if they have upgraded their on board charger or not.

Why don't these multi standard rapids allow two cars to be connected the same time is beyond me... OK the unit is rated at 50kW. Surely that output can be shared proportionally to both plugs.

Saying that, it's a wonder when a DBT charger is working anyway, with out complicating matters with sharing the load between two plugs on these units :)

·
Premium Member
446 Posts
I hadn't realised that the Tesla can only use 11 or 22 kW on the AC. That's a bit of a waste of the rapid charger. I hope Tesla owners that arrive at sites where a 22kw unit is also available will use this out of preference so as to leave the 43kW AC available for those that can use the full load ( like the Zoe).

Reactions: Edd Beesley

·
Registered
964 Posts
So Zoe has the facility to leave the dashboard lit to alert someone waiting for a charge of the time remaining that the AC side will be in use and the Leaf has the blue lights visible to all in addition to the timer clock on the rapid DC side.

Can any model S owner let us know if there is any means built in to the car to pass on this useful and important information for someone waiting to charge after it like the Zoe and Leaf has please?

Even with the best intentions it is possible to forget leaving a note on the dash and of course that is especially important if the charger contunues to charge the car for several hours with the connector locked to the car preventing any one else charging.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I hadn't realised that the Tesla can only use 11 or 22 kW on the AC. That's a bit of a waste of the rapid charger. I hope Tesla owners that arrive at sites where a 22kw unit is also available will use this out of preference so as to leave the 43kW AC available for those that can use the full load ( like the Zoe).
Yes however sites like south mimms that have a separate 22kw do t have the new dual head chargers. I am unaware of any that have both

·
Registered
666 Posts
So Zoe has the facility to leave the dashboard lit to alert someone waiting for a charge of the time remaining that the AC side will be in use and the Leaf has the blue lights visible to all in addition to the timer clock on the rapid DC side.

Can any model S owner let us know if there is any means built in to the car to pass on this useful and important information for someone waiting to charge after it like the Zoe and Leaf has please?

Even with the best intentions it is possible to forget leaving a note on the dash and of course that is especially important if the charger contunues to charge the car for several hours with the connector locked to the car preventing any one else charging.

Whenever I've seen Teslas charging they had a dashboard display showing the state of charge. No idea if that is 'normal' or if they have to turn it on.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Yes that's where my wires were crossed. CHAdeMO controls lock on fast, car controls lock on type 1 (on LEAF). So far as I understand.
Don't want to get you ac and dc wires crossed.....could go bang.....resulting in heavy metal landing on you......

(.....I've got my coat, am going, call off the joke police....!)

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
Whenever I've seen Teslas charging they had a dashboard display showing the state of charge. No idea if that is 'normal' or if they have to turn it on.
Unfortunately, that display (and the coloured lights next to the chargeport that show status) goes out once the owner walks away and the doors lock.

Apparently it's like that to avoid drawing unwelcome attention when left parked outside on charge - though you could argue that really only applies to slow charging.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts