Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My ID.3 is due here next Thursday. I'm hoping my home charger will be installed by then and I'm planning to use this for the majority of my charging needs.

Thinking about when I will need to charge while out and about, what are the recommended services I should be looking to sign up for and install associated apps / register accounts etc? Is the VW "We Charge" service worth signing up for?

·
Registered
ID.3 1st
308 Posts
Zap-Map and PlugShare are probably the best 2 apps to find chargers, ABRP for route planning, and I wouldn't bother with We Charge unless you're going to be able to use IONITY regularly.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Zap-Map and PlugShare are probably the best 2 apps to find chargers, ABRP for route planning, and I wouldn't bother with We Charge unless you're going to be able to use IONITY regularly.
I’m hoping I won’t be using any of them regularly. I’m thinking of maybe trips back from airports (once we are allowed to fly again). I expect for non-domestic charges, time will be more important than cost, so I’d be looking to use the fastest availible. Is that Ionity?

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
You can set filters on Zap-Map for the charger power. The 58kWh ID.3 can currently use up to 100kW and the 77kWh version up to 125kW. You will only get these speeds when the battery is hot and the remaining charge is low. The car instructs the charger to reduce the current progressively as it fills. You can plug the car into any CCS charger (non-Tesla) and it should work. You can therefore select filter in ZAP-Map for chargers that are over 100kW. It's worth looking at the chat page to see if people have been reporting problems with the chargers recently. If you can set off with a full battery and plan to charge your car when the battery gets low. This way you get the highest charging speeds. When you get to around 80% the charging rate will have dropped to around 50kW and will continue to fall. It's usually quicker to stop before the car is full and stop at another charger on your route on really long drives.

The car locks the charging cable when charging. You can set the car to automatically release it when the charging stops on the touch screen. You can also release the connector by pressing the unlock car button a couple of times on the key fob.

·
Registered
ID.3 1st
308 Posts
I’d be looking to use the fastest availible. Is that Ionity?
Any charge point that operates at 100kW will do, IONITY don't have a monopoly on those and they only have a dozen or so sites around the UK at the moment. Even a 50kW point will get you from 20-80% in about half an hour, and there are MANY of those.

I do have a We Charge card, but at the moment I only use it as I got £500 credit by buying a 1st Edition ID.3 - if it wasn't for that I wouldn't have used it yet (in 5 months)

·
Registered
ID3 1st Edition in Glacier White
450 Posts
Not sure where you live but Engie are offering free charging in some regions, mainly in the North, until end of October.
I got an Engie RFID card to save the faff of using their website.
You may wish to consider a few RFID cards for any ‘on the road’ chargers you may use. You just swipe them rather than using sometimes fiddly apps. They can cost around £10.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Not sure where you live but Engie are offering free charging in some regions, mainly in the North, until end of October.
I got an Engie RFID card to save the faff of using their website.
You may wish to consider a few RFID cards for any ‘on the road’ chargers you may use. You just swipe them rather than using sometimes fiddly apps. They can cost around £10.
All good stuff - replies much appreciated. I’m off to get me some apps.

·
Registered
84 Posts
The car locks the charging cable when charging. You can set the car to automatically release it when the charging stops on the touch screen. You can also release the connector by pressing the unlock car button a couple of times on the key fob.
Prospective new ID.3 owner here (still awaiting order confirmation). Is it possible to stop the cable releasing from the car even if the charging has stopped on a public charger? I mean, in order to prevent cable theft? I have seen you can unlock the cable with the key fob, but I was wondering if this is overridden in someway when the charger stops (say at 80%).

·
Registered
ID.3 1st
308 Posts
Prospective new ID.3 owner here (still awaiting order confirmation). Is it possible to stop the cable releasing from the car even if the charging has stopped on a public charger? I mean, in order to prevent cable theft? I have seen you can unlock the cable with the key fob, but I was wondering if this is overridden in someway when the charger stops (say at 80%).
It doesn’t release by default, but there is a setting you can turn on to make it release if you want.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Why would you want to do that?
If you're on a tethered charger & your car is done charging, someone could unplug to use it. If it's locked, they can't obviously.

Though I'm not sure if I would even try to remove a cable from someone else's car if it were plugged in (or particularly like the idea of someone taking it from mine). I suppose it's one of those things that could become commonplace when there are more EVs on the road. No green light on your charging port? You must be done here...

·
Registered
84 Posts
I was more wondering why someone would turn off the default so the cable is unlocked when charging is finished.

Wouldn't this allow the theft of the cable?

Is there an advantage to turning this default off that I can't see?

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 Worst Edition & Tesla M3 LR
6,646 Posts
I was more wondering why someone would turn off the default so the cable is unlocked when charging is finished.

Wouldn't this allow the theft of the cable?

Is there an advantage to turning this default off that I can't see?
He was referring specifically to tethered chargers, where the cable belongs to the charging unit?

They’re not very common, the only ones I’ve seen are usually attached to rapid chargers, I agree I can’t see a scenario where you’d want to automatically release your own cable at the car end, even though it would still in most cases be locked at the post end.

·
Registered
2021 Hyundai Kona Ultimate 64kWh
1,663 Posts
If you're on a tethered charger & your car is done charging, someone could unplug to use it. If it's locked, they can't obviously.

Though I'm not sure if I would even try to remove a cable from someone else's car if it were plugged in (or particularly like the idea of someone taking it from mine). I suppose it's one of those things that could become commonplace when there are more EVs on the road. No green light on your charging port? You must be done here...
On Chademo, the connector itself locks, rather than the car locking it in place. So with a car like a LEAF it's locked while charging, but releases at the end of the session. For close to a decade now I have been used to me unplugging a car that has finished, or them unplugging me if I happen to be a couple of minutes late to return to a charger after it finishes. It's never really caused any issues and we all just carefully unplug and close the flap.

·
Registered
150 Posts
The setting to release the connector also only applies for AC charging. It has no impact on the CCS DC rapid charging connector.

·
Registered
27 Posts
It's probably useful for if you have a charger at home and have more than one electric car. My other half's getting one in a couple months so it might come in handy if they want to charge and mine's finished. Saves them finding my keys etc, or not being able to charge if it's plugged in and I'm out and about.

·
Registered
150 Posts
That's pretty important information...

It was a little while before I read the equivalent info in the manual... that you shouldn't charge to more than 80% in normal/low usage, and that you should drive off asap after charging to 100% (and definitely within 12 hours).

I would have thought they'd make it a bit more dang obvious.

·
Registered
145 Posts
That's pretty important information...

It was a little while before I read the equivalent info in the manual... that you shouldn't charge to more than 80% in normal/low usage, and that you should drive off asap after charging to 100% (and definitely within 12 hours).

I would have thought they'd make it a bit more dang obvious.
yeah. no harm to have a printed card with the vehicle. What happens if this guidance isn't followed, could the battery warranty be void ?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts