Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020 64KWh
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Interesting and slightly annoying query - I am due to do a 66 mile round trip in a couple of hours to take my mum to a vaccination hub to get her covid jab. So I thought I'd take the opportunity to charge my Soul EV up to 100% last night for only the third time, as it has not been done since November and I am conscious it is a good idea to do it every so often. Most weeks, a 30% top up is covering the week at the moment.

So I set the Ohme app last night to hit 100% by 4.30am to stick to my cheap hours. But the way the app works, it saw that it had some slack (it was already at 80%) so it set off at 12.30am at a much reduced rate to hit the target by 4.30am on the dot. However, presumably because of losses as you reach the limit, I woke up this morning to find it only actually reached 97% and am now topping it up to the brim on my full fat rate.

Is there any way to set the Ohme app to overcome this other than staying up to 12.30am and manually switching it to max charge when my Go cheap hours start?

Registered
Hyundai Ioniq 28
First world problems that worry people always amuse me. This concerns around 2 kWh of power at a differential rate of a few pence per unit. A 20p worry when the car value is depreciating at a rate of 拢10 per day.

Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020 64KWh
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
First world problems that worry people always amuse me. This concerns around 2 kWh of power at a differential rate of a few pence per unit. A 20p worry when the car value is depreciating at a rate of 拢10 per day.
I know, I thought that as I typed it up. ;)
It just puzzles me, that's all.

Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020 64KWh
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Have you got 'Optimize for Battery Life' switched on in the app settings? This may reduce the rate of charge as the battery nears capacity.
Yes, optimise for battery life is on. Not sure what it does as when I looked at the planned charge graph it started slow because it thought it had the time spare and then planned to ramp up to full power 7.4kw towards the end. It treats the end time you set as a target stopping point not a deadline, so always aims to hit that time to finish rather than starting at full speed and finishing earlier than the deadline if it can. It doesn't take into account in its plan that the car itself will slow the charge to as little as 1.4kw by the end, even though it knows the SOC.

In fact, even more annoying :) - it keeps sending bloody alerts to my phone saying "car charging slowly, is the battery full?". Yes, you know it full, you can see the bloody SOC!! Stop sending me alerts!

Registered
Hyundai Ioniq 28
I don't have a split rate price for energy so that any of my timing issues are different. But this must be like a lot of so-called smart features that a human must sometimes fool into doing what is required rather than let it make its own smart decisions. In your cited circumstances you needed around 12 kWh's to get to 100%. That's around two hours of full rate charge on a 32 amp unit. Perhaps telling it a lie that you wanted to be on the road at 2:45 would have solved the problem as it scrambled to satisfy your demand. My boss used that tactic over deadlines a lot. Another first world problem.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts