Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Ampera Positiv MY12
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. Currently researching my next move to a full BEV from an Ampera.

I'm aware the ZS doesn't have any onboard charging, and the only option for this is an Ohme/Zappi/Rolec fix. I'm also aware the UK version doesn't have any kind of app for preheat, etc. So generally speaking, when you plug it in, it charges immediately to 100%, if you leave it long enough? Is there no control to tell it to stop at x%? I think for example the new Ioniq has this via Blue Link, and the old one has some kind of onboard scheduled departure time feature. No idea about other cars, they're not on my list.

If this is so, do people charge at home for x hours and manually unplug when they hit 80%? I would find that a headache.

With my Ampera I habitually charge to 100% without a thought, partly out of necessity, but partly because the BMS is good, especially considering the design is a decade old.

Happy to be corrected on any of these statements, as I've searched as best as I can and these are my conclusions.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
6,907 Posts
Everything that you say is correct, the MG is a relatively cheap EV due in part to it's missing features. But why are you worried about charging it to 100% unless you aren't going to use it for many days? The rate of battery degregation is relatively low and unlikely to affect you unless you intend owning the car for at least 5 years. If you sell it within that time no buyer will be able to see the degredation of the batteries on your car so it will not be a problem.
If you do insist on charging to 80% you'll need a charge point where you can vary the time the charge is available for (i.e. most apart from PodPoint) and get used to how long it takes to increase the charge a certain % and adjust the timing accordingly.

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,923 Posts
I agree with @dk6780 I put mine on charge at 21:30 and leave it on until I unplug sometime the next day. It's a myth that you mustn't charge to 100%. Just don't leave it unused for several days/weeks in a fully charged state. You have a Battery management system that cares for the battery. It's a 44.5 kWh battery of which you can only use 42.5 kWh of. The 2(ish) kWh is there to prevent you from fully using the whole battery capacity and therefore help protect the battery against misuse.

You should regularly charge to 100% to balance the cells in the battery. This also necessary to maintain the health of the battery.

Reactions: Squasher

·
Registered
2015 Ampera Positiv MY12
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's more a case of planning and managing my charging routine, given that I want to maximise my Octopus Go rate as best as possible. Plus, given the threads here about duff BMS software updates, it sounds like battery degradation is not just affected by charge habits!

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
6,907 Posts
Well that's simple then, charge for four hours each night unless you are not using the car the following day (says the man with his car not plugged in).

·
Registered
2015 Ampera Positiv MY12
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Except there's no way of stopping the charge once the 4 hrs are up unless I configure the evse. (I've got a smart evse with an app, which I've not configured up to this point because the current car has scheduled charging.)

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
I have an Ohme which knows the cheapest time to charge, whether on Octopus Go or Agile.

I have a bunch of charge profiles set up. 20, 30,...90 miles. I don't usually let the car go below 25%. When I need to charge, I just select how many miles to add before plugging in, I usually charge to about 80 to 85%, very roughly, I don't worry exactly. If I'm going on a long journey I'll charge to full.

I have an OVMS unit, and am hopeful that Ohme will decide to add support for that. All they need to do is poll the server that my OVMS unit uploads data to.

You can manually condition the car. Make sure you have the emergency key to hand. Turn car on fully, wind window down, get out, lock car by leaning in and wind window up. Go and have breakfast. Come back, unlock car with key, unplug, go.
But the heated seats and effective heater generally means car is comfortable within minutes.

·
Registered
417 Posts
As Paul says an Ohme cable and charging up from 20-30% will pretty much give you a full charge on Go Faster (the slightly pricier 5.5p for 5 hours that I’m on). In the Ohme app it’s set to not charge when the rate is above 5.5p on my profile, and you can always override this if you want to say balance beyond the cheap Octopus rate (when the car is only taking around 300amps from the charger to do the balancing so it’s relatively cheap)

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,923 Posts
given that I want to maximise my Octopus Go rate as best as possible.
Except there's no way of stopping the charge once the 4 hrs are up unless I configure the evse
I've got a dumb charger. If I want to keep the charging to the 4 hours of OctopusGo I need to make sure that I plug in before the battery gets less than around 40%. That should stop charging, including balancing, within or close to the 4 hours. For me that's about twice a week.

·
Registered
431 Posts
It's reasonable to want to charge your EV at specific times and within your own chosen parameters. Many people are happy to charge to full every time they plug in; but some of us prefer to look after our batteries. The only way you can do so with an MG is to use a smart charger of some kind.

Just be aware that (even with the latest update) timed charging doesn't reliably work with some smart chargers. The Ohme and Zappi have both been shown to work, but others still have issues as the car requires a specific workaround outside the parameters of the charging standards.

·
Registered
2015 Ampera Positiv MY12
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the replies. I'll definitely look into the Ohme and also try setting up my smart charger to get the hang of it. If I master that side of the puzzle, if/when I get a new car, I'll have one less variable to worry about.

Slightly off thread, shame this car is lacking features (preheat, schedule) which are taken for granted in others these days. Surely it's a deal breaker to omit software which other makes have and which surely don't have that high development costs. They are effectively putting off prospective buyers and getting them to spend (more) money elsewhere. And they're not even offering these missing things as optional extras, or available on higher end variants. Odd, I think.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
I produced a video about using the Ohme cable.

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,923 Posts
Surely it's a deal breaker to omit software which other makes have and which surely don't have that high development costs.
You'd think so, but I've had 2 Zoe with most of these features. The extra comfort and features like MGPilot drew me away from the next Zoe, the 50 (I got to do the reveal at my dealers). I had a long thought and considered that I could live without timed charging and preheat. Which over the last 11 months I have found that I can. Yes, they could be nice, but I've only missed them a couple of times.

Renault have done a big naughty AFAIK by making CCS an extra £1000 on the 50, whereas it's fairly standard in cars of the same price (or less in the case of the MG).

Reactions: LeafMatters

·
Registered
431 Posts
Thanks for the replies. I'll definitely look into the Ohme and also try setting up my smart charger to get the hang of it. If I master that side of the puzzle, if/when I get a new car, I'll have one less variable to worry about.

Slightly off thread, shame this car is lacking features (preheat, schedule) which are taken for granted in others these days. Surely it's a deal breaker to omit software which other makes have and which surely don't have that high development costs. They are effectively putting off prospective buyers and getting them to spend (more) money elsewhere. And they're not even offering these missing things as optional extras, or available on higher end variants. Odd, I think.
I used pre-heat exactly once in the Leaf 40. Many of the apps are unreliable anyway. I just turn my MG5 on (while still connected to the charger) to preheat it but the heater is powerful enough to clear a frozen windscreen in seconds anyway.

The missing features are why the MG5 is under £20k for a 214 mile WLTP range. There is no other EV even close to that value, not even second hand.

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,923 Posts
You could just go outside and manually turn the charger off. It's what I do.
For me that is just about feasible. My 4 hours end at 01:30 and I'm a late sleeper/late riser. I don't do that though. I just let it run.

If you had the 20:30 start it would be quite feasible to stop the charge at 00:30.

·
Registered
2015 Ampera Positiv MY12
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
You could just go outside and manually turn the charger off. It's what I do.
In the middle of the night, walk down the driveway when it's raining and 2 degC? No thanks. (When was the last time you had to make sure you pressed all 4 door buttons down to ensure the car was locked?)

The missing features are why the MG5 is under £20k for a 214 mile WLTP range. There is no other EV even close to that value, not even second hand.
I agree, MG EVs are great value. I still can't help thinking they missed a trick, and of all the things to exclude, why these features? Why not offer them as optional extras? Are they less of a relevance to creature comforts than heated seats? (Sorry for going off tangent.)

·
Registered
360 Posts
I don't know if the Thailand or India cars have things like scheduled charging but they do have apps. Due to the supposed restrictions in Europe that has prevented the app just think how frustrated you would be if everything you wanted was on the screen but greyed out hence we got the older cheaper head unit. Can only hope the newer versions come equipped with what people want. Now MG know there is a sizable demand for their cars it would be in their interests to make improvements even retro kits. I think people would snap them up if not too expensive.

·
Registered
2015 Ampera Positiv MY12
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I don't know if the Thailand or India cars have things like scheduled charging but they do have apps. Due to the supposed restrictions in Europe that has prevented the app just think how frustrated you would be if everything you wanted was on the screen but greyed out hence we got the older cheaper head unit. Can only hope the newer versions come equipped with what people want. Now MG know there is a sizable demand for their cars it would be in their interests to make improvements even retro kits. I think people would snap them up if not too expensive.
I certainly would! Especially since I spoke to a Brink distributor today who told me there IS a tow hitch available for bike carriers for the ZS EV. (Brink part no. 689900, if you're interested.) No such luck for the MG5 yet though.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts