Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

81 - 100 of 145 Posts

·
Registered
693 Posts
Took the Zoe to an indie this morning. Just had a phone call saying they have a fault code indicating that there is a fault called charging termination connection, I assume they mean the plug at the front of the car. They are going to get a price to replace this, but they can’t guarantee this would fix it. I have to take the gamble. Or take it to a main dealer. I’ve told them to go ahead as involving the main dealer would mean at least a two week wait to book it in. I will let you know the outcom.
Its worth asking the garage to check for a connection netween the Neutral pin on the charge point and any of the Live pins, if there is connectivity between them, this indicates a fault inside the charging unit in the car.

Cheers.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #82 ·
I had a call from my Indie this morning, saying they will not be able to continue with the repair of our Zoe, because they cannot get the parts required from Renault. It seems the main dealerships are being defensive when asked to supply parts for electric cars. :devilish:
So I have had to make a booking at my local dealership to have the problem diagnosed again, another 2 week wait and £135 just for the diagnostic test. It’s becoming a bit of a problem owning an electric car that needs a repair.:(

·
Zoe Devotee
8,984 Posts
refused to start and needed to be pushed any morning there was a heavy dew.
Late to the party, and totally off topic but this made me chuckle. I mean how do wet points magically get dry with a push start? Surely it was a crap 12v battery that was the issue not damp in the dissy! Having driven a classic points mini I'm well versed in removal of the dissy cap, and a wipe over with the bottom of my t-shirt to get the car running again if you went through a big puddle. Do you diagnose your EV by licking your finger and jabbing it at anything Orange or with a warning sticker? :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: cah197

·
Zoe Devotee
8,984 Posts
It’s becoming a bit of a problem owning an electric car that needs a repair.:(
The good news is it might be under warranty, you did extend the warranty didn't you?

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
1,102 Posts
I had a call from my Indie this morning, saying they will not be able to continue with the repair of our Zoe, because they cannot get the parts required from Renault. It seems the main dealerships are being defensive when asked to supply parts for electric cars. :devilish:
So I have had to make a booking at my local dealership to have the problem diagnosed again, another 2 week wait and £135 just for the diagnostic test. It’s becoming a bit of a problem owning an electric car that needs a repair.:(
I think its illegal for manufacturers to deny parts to indies or owners. This was all sorted out then the EU ended block exemption, which also opened the door to third parties making parts.
Might be worth phoning your Trading Standards to check. If they say its illegal, argue for the £135 fee being cancelled.

·
Registered
ID3 Life
186 Posts
I wonder if there are restrictions and certain standards that have to be met with anything to do with the traction side of things.

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
1,102 Posts
A friend who does training courses for the motor trade told me that insurers are now insisting on trained EV technicians carrying out insurance work. A driver was killed when the onboard camera/radar caused a fatal accident due to being misaligned after a bumper replacement. I think the car steered itself into an on coming truck.
So maybe manufacturers are right to refuse to sell EV vehicle electronics to anyone not trained.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #90 ·
Just a bit of an update. Zoe went to main dealer today for a fault diagnosis (£130). Had a call saying they cannot find the fault using their diagnositic procedure, but it has showed up it is TRIPPING THE MAINS!!! That’s what I paid the £130 for, so they could tell me what was causing it to trip the mains. Anyway they say they will have to carry out an electric circuit test, which will be a 3 hour job. (Sounds like another £450). And It could point to the car needing a new electric filter, parts only £800+vat.
Is it just electric vehicles that cost so much just to diagnose a fault? £580 before a repair is even started, seems like a lot of head scratching to me. I have no choice but to plow ahead as there is not the open market for EV repairs. I will let you know how things go.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Late to the party, and totally off topic but this made me chuckle. I mean how do wet points magically get dry with a push start? Surely it was a crap 12v battery that was the issue not damp in the dissy! Having driven a classic points mini I'm well versed in removal of the dissy cap, and a wipe over with the bottom of my t-shirt to get the car running again if you went through a big puddle. Do you diagnose your EV by licking your finger and jabbing it at anything Orange or with a warning sticker? :ROFLMAO:
Not sure you actually read my reply since I said "Don't know if it was Lucas or not " - it was dk who brought up Lucas, I was just referring to some 40+ (eek!) year old memories of my dad cursing the car's electrics. I wasn't specific about what caused it for the perfectly simple reason that I didn't know what caused it then and don't know today.

·
Speak, Eevee!
1,431 Posts
Just a bit of an update. Zoe went to main dealer today for a fault diagnosis (£130). Had a call saying they cannot find the fault using their diagnositic procedure, but it has showed up it is TRIPPING THE MAINS!!! That’s what I paid the £130 for, so they could tell me what was causing it to trip the mains. Anyway they say they will have to carry out an electric circuit test, which will be a 3 hour job. (Sounds like another £450). And It could point to the car needing a new electric filter, parts only £800+vat.
Is it just electric vehicles that cost so much just to diagnose a fault? £580 before a repair is even started, seems like a lot of head scratching to me. I have no choice but to plow ahead as there is not the open market for EV repairs. I will let you know how things go.
Ouch

It's hard to say at this point but maybe it's time to cut your losses and take it to someone who knows what they're doing? CleveleyEV (if I've spelled it right) for example, they were even on ITV Tonight earlier, and are very well regarded from what I've seen in the Zoe community. They have various answers for if you're nowhere near them geographically

Is this indie HEVRA approved out of interest, or just a randomer having a try?

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
20,366 Posts
Personally I wouldn’t be paying if they can’t work out what the problem is.

Sounds like they’re just throwing parts at it at your expense. Go find a better garage.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
6,729 Posts
The advice from @cah197 would seem to apply both to your "indie" and the main stealer. :devilish:

Don't conflate the inability of garages to keep up with the technology being an EV thing - all modern cars suffer the same complexity issues.

·
Registered
556 Posts
I'm not quite sure what you expect dealers to do. Are they supposed to do your work for free and live off unicorn f***s? Would you expect a plumber to come out and find your leak for free? Are the dealer supposed to know instantly what your problem is and magically fix it? Or do they have to run a business servicing complex cars, eliminating issues till they find the root of the problem?

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
1,102 Posts
I'm not quite sure what you expect dealers to do. Are they supposed to do your work for free and live off unicorn f***s? Would you expect a plumber to come out and find your leak for free? Are the dealer supposed to know instantly what your problem is and magically fix it? Or do they have to run a business servicing complex cars, eliminating issues till they find the root of the problem?
The bad rep the garage trade has is because they don't know what they are doing, rather than bad workmanship. This means trial and error fault finding rather than knowledge based. The customer then has to foot the bill for all the parts replaced even when they're not needed. Never take an EV to an ICE garage unless they are an HEVRA member and have certifications displayed. Also, many insurers won't let non certified garages touch an EV if they are paying for the repair, and I expect the garages own insurers will not cover them for working on EVs without the same certifications or qualified technicians.

·
Speak, Eevee!
1,431 Posts
It's more somewhere in the middle. Speaking as someone who's done a fair share of PC repair which is similar stuff on a smaller scale - yes obviously in some rare cases you have to try a few things at the customer's agreed expense to get to the root of the problem. But once you have a bit of experience, you learn what causes what fault and how to diagnose things in more of a "try the most likely cause first" basis that tends to follow the universal 80/20 rule (in this case it'd be something like 80% of problems resolved by the most likely cause that an experienced tech knows about)

Someone who's just dabbling at PC repair might jump first to "I have to charge you a data rescue fee and format your drive and see if a fresh installation of Windows works" to resolve a blue screen with a certain code on it, and then just throw a few other parts like a new PSU at it (80% likely the cause if it won't turn on. Less likely if it's acting funky) and see what sticks while an experienced repair shop would say "ah yes that error code is
80% of the time caused by bad RAM" and spend 5 minutes running memtest and isolating the problem. Very similar stuff with cars I think. This dealer sounds like they're the "throw things at it randomly and see what sticks" level of experience when it comes to their EV offering.

Obviously I sympathise with those trying to get a foothold either as indies or main dealers getting started with an EV workshop. Experience has to come from somewhere, you don't just wake up one day with a list in your head of the top causes of every little problem. But that means you're learning how to do the job and might have to charge a bit less rather than jumping to the same kind of prices as the experts.

There's less of an excuse for a main dealer though, they should know how their own car works and have fault finding flowcharts etc. But I dare say some of them are in it for the money and it's always been a terribly exploitative practice to charge 3 figures just to plug in a diagnostic tool and click a button.

Reactions: ThudnBlundr

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #98 ·
Latest update from dealer is, they have run the 3 hour electric test and it has not fixed the charging fault, they now say the car will need an electric filter, trouble is this seems to have gone up from £850 +vat to £1400+vat. Plus at least 3 weeks lead time before they will have the part. I have been in touch with Renault customer service and they say they may consider contributing to the cost of the part. I can see this repair costing about £2500. Not to happy as the car has only 1800miles on the clock. The trouble with electric cars apart from servicing, you cannot carry out any preventative maintenance. With my Range Rover I get the oil in the diffs changed, the gearbox flushed even the steering fluid changed along with its Annual service. With an Electric Filter you just have to hope it will carry on working after the warranty. 18000 miles works out at about 200 charges at 80miles per charge, divide that into the cost of this repair and that works out at £12.50 per charge + electric. I would expect a starter motor on an ice car to operate a lot more than 200 times.
I just been offered £5000 part exchange against a 2020 gt line or a 2018 BMW i3. So by the time I have paid this bill, it looks like I will only have £2500 liquid cash to put down on our next car.
Lesson to be learned, keep the warranty up. But what is then classed as a service item on an electric car?

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
6,729 Posts
Electric filter?

The advice from @cah197 would seem to apply both to your "indie" and the main stealer. :devilish:

Don't conflate the inability of garages to keep up with the technology being an EV thing - all modern cars suffer the same complexity issues.
I would politely suggest that "your dealer" is not providing you with appropriate service and that you should look elsewhere, regardless of their "Renault" status. Like Nissan, there are only a handful of dealers that know about EVs and you clearly are paying them whilst they learn and charge you premium prices.

·
Registered
ID3 Life
186 Posts
I not sure I’d be too happy with the poke and hope technique on premium rates either but haven’t really got a good alternative. That said, it sounds like the ‘electric filter’, whatever that is, is just the next poke so I’d be In cutting my losses mode at this point.

81 - 100 of 145 Posts