Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

Which car will win public acceptance

• Total voters
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't like to burn gas at all but, I can carry a small 2400 watt suitcase generator in the trunk of my converted Saturn SC2. The generator can level 1 charge the car. Charging at home and at work makes most of my driving easy and worry free. I would still like to believe that long trips and shorter charging times are possible but, for now, it takes 4+ hours to charge the car at level 2 and chargers are scarce.

I am planning a hypothetical trip of 240 miles, from Jackson MI to Ludington MI, in a car with 62 mile range. Some of the chargers are 62 miles apart and there is only one cord. I must assume the charger will be in use when I get there. Without the generator I might be totally stranded. It seems to me that as more and more pure electric cars are in use we will need a ridiculous number of chargers located everywhere or, we need to develop electric charging lanes on the highway as are being developed in some parts of Europe.

There might be other options for a long highway trip, a battery swap, swap the whole rental car for a charged one, and finally, save my EV for the shorter trips and drive my ICE car on the occasional long haul. This last option seems reasonable and a better alternative than driving a less energy efficient hybrid. The EV is running at about 126 miles per gallon equivalent for 96% of my driving for the year. My old ICE car, 34 mpg highway for 4% of my driving. But, what is the future?

·
Conflicted Ecoworrier/Petrolhead
3,214 Posts
The other option of course being that over time batteries will store more kWh and distance between chargers will decrease. So you'll have a 200 mile range car with 10 - 20 miles between charge points. BEV will get there eventually.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
The other option of course being that over time batteries will store more kWh and distance between chargers will decrease. So you'll have a 200 mile range car with 10 - 20 miles between charge points. BEV will get there eventually.
Yes, I believe this to be true but, there are several unanswered questions. I wonder if the next generation of battery will charge faster or, take longer to charge due to its increased capacity? We all want a 100% fully charged battery and we want it charged for free so, I can see the same car parked at a charger for many hours. If charging can be reduced to 15 min. then we can avoid long lines and the fighting over the charger cords. There are already many incidents of "charger rage" in California today. Can we keep the chargers off of the grid? In the USA we have a power grid that dates back to the 1960's and even with higher taxes, I don't see any significant growth in infrastructure coming from the government. So, I guess the bottom line for me is that we need a new type of faster charging battery of any capacity to make it really go mainstream. Some privately funded solar chargers would help too. Tesla is building charging stations but only for their own models. Perhaps Ford, GM and other car makers should do the same.
However, to answer some of my own questions- The Chevy Bolt has the SAE Combo fast charging port. The claim is that it will charge to 80% in 60 min. Maybe it would go 40 miles after a 15 min charge? With a 200 mile range and a lower price tag, I believe this is a winner. Now we need more SAE Combo fast charging stations if this is finally the standard.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
The problem you have is that your car has no rapid charging capability.
Yes, it looks like the new standard is the j1772 combo which is so new that very few exist. I looked for a receptacle for my car and it costs $800. What I would need next is to know is how to connect it. there must be an onboard unit that governs the charge but I have not found any such thing, just the plastic receptacle. For now I am using the J1772 with an Elcon charger unit. The CHAdeMO is very scarce here and the standard is on the way out. If anyone knows how to install the SAE Combo please let me know.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts