Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m planning our summer holiday and I reckon if I left with a full charge, I’d reach the airport with about 30% left, give or take. This would not be enough to get us home again and I don’t really fancy stopping on way back for an hour or so to recharge it. So I was wondering if anyone knew of any airport parking outfits that are offering a “recharge while you are away” service so you come back to a fully charged car? I have had a quick Google but nothing is really showing up.

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro MY20 64 kWh - Gravity Blue
644 Posts
Why would you have to stop for an hour? If you use 70%, you can find a charger on your way back and charge from let's say 10% to 70% in maybe 30 minutes or so. Or you charge your car to 80% just before arriving at the airport and do a 10 minute top-up on the way back.

You are looking for an option where you park your car and leave it occupying the charger for 2 or 3 weeks until you return. I'm guessing there's no such service available.

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq 28
7,717 Posts
Purple Parking appears to offer that service. I suppose it depends on which airport you use and if that is offered at yours.

Airparks Drop and Go with Electric Vehicle Charge (purpleparking.com)

Other than that there are many airport hotels that have a charger and some will offer a combined overnight stay with 14 days free parking. Worth investigating if the outbound is early morning and you could then supervise an overnight charge before you put the car in the parking bay.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Purple Parking appears to offer that service. I suppose it depends on which airport you use and if that is offered at yours.

Airparks Drop and Go with Electric Vehicle Charge (purpleparking.com)

Other than that there are many airport hotels that have a charger and some will offer a combined overnight stay with 14 days free parking. Worth investigating if the outbound is early morning and you could then supervise an overnight charge before you put the car in the parking bay.
That’s exactly the kind of thing I was looking for, thanks.

I know I could charge on the way back or even before setting off, but I prefer to be able to do it in one uninterrupted run.

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020 64KWh
540 Posts
Perhaps a fear of something new and untried, but I would be a bit concerned about the possibility of them sticking it on a charge on day 1 because it suits their workload, and it's one done and out of the way, and your car then being sat there for 2 weeks at full charge. Which wouldn't be good.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Perhaps a fear of something new and untried, but I would be a bit concerned about the possibility of them sticking it on a charge on day 1 because it suits their workload, and it's one done and out of the way, and your car then being sat there for 2 weeks at full charge. Which wouldn't be good.
I suppose you could set the car to only allow charge up to 80% to mitigate this.

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020 64KWh
540 Posts
I suppose you could set the car to only allow charge up to 80% to mitigate this.
Guess so, as long as you tell you have done this because that's the max you want, and tell them not to turn the limit off.

·
Registered
Peugeot e-208
612 Posts
Which airport is this?

I've heard of Purple Parking etc offering this, but then I've also heard that the parking guys actually have no idea what they're doing. You might find that you get the car back with 'oh yeah, we didn't know how to charge it mate. Never had one of these before', and wish you'd spent those 15 minutes at a rapid charger.

·
Registered
5,718 Posts
Given the horror stories around 'serviced' airport parking in general I would never leave my car keys (EV or ICE) with a parking company. I park it, I leave it and (hopefully) I come back to find it still there and undamaged.
It may be less convenient but I'd rather not risk the second most expensive purchase of my life to possible muppets.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I've just had a search via Holidayextras. They highlight certain parking options that are EV friendly. Had quick search for Heathrow & Edinburgh.

At Heathrow there's 2x3kw at NCP on the Pulse network, take your keys with you. No idea if prebookable or if Pulse have overstay? Thereay be other options just clicked the first one with the green car symbol.

At Edinburgh Secure Airparks let you prebook on 1 of 10 3kw Type 2s (looks to be about an extra £7 per week) you take your keys with you.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT-Line Rapid Charge
3,138 Posts
Which airport is this?

I've heard of Purple Parking etc offering this, but then I've also heard that the parking guys actually have no idea what they're doing. You might find that you get the car back with 'oh yeah, we didn't know how to charge it mate. Never had one of these before', and wish you'd spent those 15 minutes at a rapid charger.
The link given is for parking at Birmingham airport, which (IIRC) does have a rapid onsite, as does Liverpool (Both are EH, so may be replaced as part of the Gridserve deal).
Manchester on the other hand, has a single (currently broken) 7kW unit in one of the hotel car parks.

·
Registered
ID3 Life
188 Posts
The other option is to factor in a stop on the way to the airport to top up so you’re not leaving it on 30%

That also has the benefit of building in some travel contingency getting to the airport, which if you need that time you‘ll have to top up on the way home but at least you still got to the airport on time in the first place.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts