Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So we picked up Evie today :) :) :) my question is, can she charge on a rapid whilst switched on? Basically I'm sat at Clacket Lane on a rapid and would like to log in to carwings as I haven't yet had a chance to do it. Will this do any harm? Is it even possible?

Thanks lots :)

·
Registered
964 Posts
No problem, switch it on. But you cant start a charge with it on. You did it by accident if you see "error" on the rapid charger. You can run the heater and aircon to stay comfortable too. Mine is Gen1 but I think the loaner Gen 2 worked the same. Enjoy your trip with or without carwings!

·
Premium Member
1,347 Posts
Not sure about your LEAF but mine has to be totally switched off when charging. I'm sure it won't do any harm if the car lets you – there will be safety interlocks to protect it.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Excellent! Thanks guys :) really appreciate it :) going to finish our dinner and then give it a go. Love it already :)

·
Registered
7,249 Posts
I don't think I've actually rapid charged mine with it switched off :)
As has been said... it must be off to start the charge but then I nearly always turn the car on while it charges and listen to the radio or my book. I can follow the charging progress too.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
There can be something strangely satisfying about being sat in the Leaf having a cuppa and listening to the radio while charging. It is doing something and doing nothing at the same time, like fishing, permission to be in the moment.

Medium Wave seems interfered with by the rapid though! Still, have streamed it from my phone via bluetooth to the car stereo if football on....:)

·
Registered
89 Posts
dose anyone know why when I plug my phone into the USB port on the car the phone shows the power logo but dose not actually charge. Any advise kindly recived

·
Registered
7,249 Posts
If I am listening to something on the phone I find that it doesn't charge or barely charges. I suspect that the voltage on the USB is quite low.

In fact, when I did my London to Edinburgh trip I was using the phone a lot as I had Glympse, LeafSpy, my audiobook app, bluetooth and mobile data all active. With that lot running on the phone it didn't last more than half a day and that was with it plugged in. I had to leave the car switched on when charging with all the phone apps turned off just to charge the phone back up!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Re phones charging, it'll not be voltage on the USB line that makes it charge slowly, it'll be current.

I've had a bunch of problems and have a solution as well, as someone who makes heavy use of phone as sat nav etc.

With a standard car charger, it runs down slowly, even with it on charge. I tried buying a higher current rated one, and still no joy because your phone needs to recognise it as a 'fast charger' in order to draw that current.

Some newer phones, in particular Samsung Galaxy Note/S5 types use a weird charging protocol where they talk to the charger and actually increase the voltage to either 9v or 12v and fast charge. Now I got a charger that supports that, it charges fast regardless of what I'm doing.

The protocol is called Qualcomm Quick Charge. If your phone supports it, make sure you get a cigarette-charger that does too, and it'll charge nicely!

·
Registered
267 Posts
The rapids around here have a note to leave the car off while charging to avoid errors... but if I am staying with the car I just forget the notice and turn it on, sofar no errors related to the car being on.
Radio and AC/Heater makes the 20-30mins more tolerable, now if only I could get netflix on the center console :D

Both times where I had a rapid chicken out with "charge error, cable unlocked" I was not at the car so...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts