Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

201 - 220 of 245 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Looks good - I'm assuming it's a dual 7kW post? I've ordered a New-Motion card for when I next visit Oxford as one of these EVolt posts has appeared at the Redbridge Park and Ride and the existing Polar post there is getting a bit elderly!
I pick my daughter up at Redbridge most days. I've never seen anyone charge on the EVolt post. The bays are unmarked and permanently iced as they're right next to the bus terminal.

·
Registered
223 Posts
The EV bays are normally clear at the weekends though which is when we tend to visit. I think the spaces next to the Polar post are marked as being for EV's, as to whether that is actually policed......

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter #204
What kWh rate do you have to pay for these? I can't see this unit on the newmotion map so I'm assuming they are a private network
i can;t find the rates so had a look at my charge history on my NewMotion app - currently not showing any charge! Will let you know when it does....

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter #205
The joys of on-street parking in busy areas...!

·
Registered
4,505 Posts
I'm not sure how this fits in with the existing trials, but it looks like Oxford has found something else to try out:

Oxford to trial ‘pop-up’ on-street charging points
The successful bid was made in partnership with Duku and Urban Electric and will see Oxford residents who currently have electric vehicles access to 20 ‘UEone’ retractable pavement bollards which will be installed on streets with on road, off pavement parking.
Edit to add the Oxford City Council announcement: Nominate your street for the world’s first ‘pop-up’ electric vehicle charging points | Oxford City Council
The scheme has seen 100 electric vehicle charging points installed in residential streets across Oxford. It is thought to be the first on-street charging pilot of its size in the world.
"Has seen ... installed"? Does that mean they have actually installed 100 by now?

·
Registered
5,777 Posts
I'm not sure how this fits in with the existing trials, but it looks like Oxford has found something else to try out:

Oxford to trial ‘pop-up’ on-street charging points

Edit to add the Oxford City Council announcement: Nominate your street for the world’s first ‘pop-up’ electric vehicle charging points | Oxford City Council
"Has seen ... installed"? Does that mean they have actually installed 100 by now?
What is the difference between a permanent post and one that 'pops up' ? If it's out of sight normally then surely there is more chance of an ICE parking there than if it was permanently 'popped up' and visible.

·
Registered
4,505 Posts
What is the difference between a permanent post and one that 'pops up' ? If it's out of sight normally then surely there is more chance of an ICE parking there than if it was permanently 'popped up' and visible.
Maybe if they install enough of them it won't matter if 90% are ICEd. Plus of course they're only usable by residents who have Ubitricity cables so no use for visitors.

Here's a description of the posts: Urban Electric Announces UEone Pop-up Charge Point for Residential On-street Charging of Electric Vehicles

·
Registered
5,777 Posts
Sounds like an expensive option to me. Probably possible to install six basic doubleheader posts for the price of just one of these. Rolec sells a much simpler unit that sits in a hole in the ground with a lid to gain access to the socket. Same thing without the complexity of mechanism to levitate it. And less to go wrong.

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
It looks from those various press releases as if there's only 20 of the pop-up posts, with 100 being the total for the various different options being trialled in the scheme (cable ducts, lamppost points, conventional street-side posts etc).

·
Registered
2,603 Posts

·
Registered
4,505 Posts
Further info about the suppliers involved, for those interested, to save you googling...

Urban Electric, a recent start-up...
http://www.urbanelectric.london/

Duku, a design consultancy...
Innovative Product Design & Development - Duku

Once again, I find myself trying to see the advantages, but not be being able to, except for the suppliers who might be making a few quid out of it.
The point of the Oxford trial is that it is, in fact, a trial.

They have selected a number of different suppliers so they can see what advantages or disadvantages of each vendor's solution is in practice. I guess dropping bollards have advantages in not obstructing the pavements when not in use but they may break in which case not so good. The trial should weed out the ones with potential from the also rans.

Sent from my Pixel C using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,264 Posts
The 'pop-up' one might also get iced in during a cold winter spell. :)

Hope they test in all seasons.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter #216
Any info on how this trial is coming along? I was looking for an update from the go-ultra low oxford webpage but it hasn't been updated since the website was built nearly a year ago...

Go Ultra Low Oxford
Yeah, don't think they have updated the page much - in fact, it has taken as long as just a few weeks ago to get most of them sorted I think. My personal cable channel solution works brilliantly (especially now the students are gone for the summer!) and I get the space outside my house all the time. Even when they are here I get it more often than expected.

Also started using a few of the others, one of which is ideally located next to my son's football club and one about half a kilometre away (when mine is ICEd) that has an evolt charging post and reserved EV space. The Newmotion bit seems to be working well (though all trial users were supposed to get some favourable rate which I still haven't seen... :rolleyes: ) Co-Wheels, the car club co-op that is taking part has also started to introduce some electric cars including this Zoe on an adjacent street to ours using the Ubitricity lampost charger:

IMG_3278.JPG IMG_3275.JPG IMG_3276.JPG IMG_3277.JPG

·
Registered
223 Posts
That Ubitrity box does look very vulnerable hanging like that although I guess it needs to be there so that it isn't sitting in water on the ground. I still believe the cable duct that you have is by far the easiest to implement. If treated like a dropped curb, where the resident pays the installation costs, then it needn't be any burden on the council's funds either

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
...If treated like a dropped curb, where the resident pays the installation costs, then it needn't be any burden on the council's funds either
If you have a dropped kerb outside your house, it means that no-one can park next to it.

I don't think that the same rules could apply to a cable duct.

·
Registered
223 Posts
If you have a dropped kerb outside your house, it means that no-one can park next to it.
I merely meant that it could be dealt with process wise in the same manner i.e. you apply and if approved by the council then you engage an approved contractor to undertake the work and sign it off. Not looking for a dedicated parking space or anything like that

201 - 220 of 245 Posts