Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

221 - 240 of 245 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
I've ordered a New-Motion card for when I next visit Oxford as one of these EVolt posts has appeared at the Redbridge Park and Ride and the existing Polar post there is getting a bit elderly!
I tried out my NewMotion card on the new E-Volt unit at the Redbridge Park and Ride last week and it didn't work. I did however find a label on it saying it was on the Swarco E.Connect network which is run by the owners of E-Volt. Unfortunately, the map on their website doesn't work, so I have no idea how much it costs or whether there are any other units anywhere else in the country! They did however send me a free RFID card which has just arrived, so I will have to try it the next time I visit Oxford

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yeah, don't think they have updated the page much - in fact, it has taken as long as just a few weeks ago to get most of them sorted I think. My personal cable channel solution works brilliantly (especially now the students are gone for the summer!) and I get the space outside my house all the time. Even when they are here I get it more often than expected.

Also started using a few of the others, one of which is ideally located next to my son's football club and one about half a kilometre away (when mine is ICEd) that has an evolt charging post and reserved EV space. The Newmotion bit seems to be working well (though all trial users were supposed to get some favourable rate which I still haven't seen... :rolleyes: ) Co-Wheels, the car club co-op that is taking part has also started to introduce some electric cars including this Zoe on an adjacent street to ours using the Ubitricity lampost charger:

View attachment 102162 View attachment 102164 View attachment 102166 View attachment 102168
Thanks for pointing me to this thread. You say you always get the space directly outside your house - have you tried charging when parked one or two spaces away?

In my road we don't have a pavement so the channel would be very short. There's also no space for pop-up posts.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I’ve just come across this thread after almost 3 years of ownership of an Audi A3 etron with no offstreet parking. Like GTEJesper I’ve solely relied on running a cable to the car using, in my case, a cable cover (one of those hard plastic industrial ones with a yellow flip cover) to charge my car outside my house with a 10m 16A EVSE.

I hassled my local council about solutions but they weren’t interested (about 2 years ago) and would love to now get back with the cable channel idea along with a suggestion of a marked EV a space (my area is CPZ but can get busy in the evenings). I don’t use the car daily so often move it outside to charge at night and have already done ~80% EV miles. I contacted the Oxford council department running the trial about a week ago for details but not heard back so pleased I stumbled across this thread.

I might be in a fortunate position to get a Tesla S or X in the future and could rely on superchargers but would love to be able to top up over night with my current solution - which would be slightly cheaper to charge. I’ve never had any problems from neighbours or vandals and often get positive comments from passerbyers. Maybe this is because I can charge in just over 2hours and often do this after the watershed - so most hooligans should be tucked up in bed Unfortunately the only offstreet parking in my area are in the “big” £1.5M+ semis and can’t really afford to move just to get offstreet parking.

I’m glad that there are trials out there with potential solutions for people like myself without offstreet parking and hope that other councils across the country will follow suit.

I'm in a similar position, with no pavement between me and the road. I'm considering a BEV and using a charging cable from an upstairs window. Following your experiences can you see this being an issue? Thanks

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter #224
Thanks for pointing me to this thread. You say you always get the space directly outside your house - have you tried charging when parked one or two spaces away?

In my road we don't have a pavement so the channel would be very short. There's also no space for pop-up posts.
I don't always get it (especially not during term time when the students are back) so yes, have charged several spaces away quite a few times. They ended up giving me a 16m cable so it can stretch two cars in either direction. It works really well when I know the car(s) and it's a neighbour's as they all know to just give me a knock. If it is a car that I don't know I have sometimes left a note saying sorry about the cable around their car and please just give me a knock when you need to leave. This has usually worked well although once someone just drove off which could have caused issues if the next car arrived and parked on top of the cable. So a bit more careful with this now.

Two pictures attached of other cars in front of our house and me running a cable around their cars. I tuck it into the pavement on the street and under their cars and around their wheels to eliminate trip hazards.

Picture1.jpg Picture2.jpg

·
Registered
4,504 Posts
Two pictures attached of other cars in front of our house and me running a cable around their cars. I tuck it into the pavement on the street and under their cars and around their wheels to eliminate trip hazards.
That would be so much easier for you if everyone didn't have to park on the pavements.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter #226
That would be so much easier for you if everyone didn't have to park on the pavements.
Indeed, but alas Victorian streets were never made for cars. It's the only way to get the bin lorries and fire engines down the street...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thought I would provide an update on my experience of the trial. Overall it is working better than I had hoped and even with the students here and the street really busy I'm getting a surprising amount of charging done. Some random observations and thoughts:
  • It definitely helps that we only use the car 2-4 days a week and don't commute in the car. If we had to move the car regularly we would get our space back less often I think
  • I have gotten over my fear of the cable / car being vandalised at night and now leave the car plugged in all the time. Fingers crossed, all good so far
  • I think leaving it plugged in has actually made more people notice that I charge my car here which has had a positive effect on the space being left free for me
  • I have almost naturally started looking out the window regularly to see if the spaces outside our house are free so can often run out quickly to move the car into a charging space
  • As I have a 16m cable I can stretch it two cars either direction from my house and have a few times run the cable around other cars just for 2hrs15min (tucked under and around their tyres) which has worked well. Mainly do this if I know the neighbour whose car it is but also done it a few times when a car has been parked for 6 or 7 days in a row blocking the charging space . I always leave a note in their window saying sorry, just give me a knock and I will move the cable. Once someone drove off without knocking though which has made me think twice about this as it left my cable exposed and anyone could have parked on top of it; I do keep an eye out though so wasn't for very long
  • I've realised that I'm not sure I would be too happy with this solution if my charging port was on the side of the car rather than the nose like the Golf or a Leaf. As we have to leave two wheels just on the pavement and it is narrow on the street side as well I wouldn't want the cable and flap open as can see cars and pedestrians hitting it.
This final point is arguably the main thing that would stop me from getting (certain) BEVs as otherwise I'm increasingly convinced I can charge often enough to run one - especially with new infrastructure in Oxford through this scheme and the Westgate Shopping Centre with its 50 chargers
@GTE Jesper, I just wanted to comment that I love your idea that you've managed to get the cable from your house accross the pavement to your car, I also have the same problem with my house, I bump park it on the pavement every night and because of this I am struggling to home charge it, I don't think people would be to happy with me if I did that, I'm sure neighbours would complain as its not my land its the councils so I'm sure there would be problems, but bravo to you for doing that! I wish I had your courage to do it!

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter #229
@GTE Jesper, I just wanted to comment that I love your idea that you've managed to get the cable from your house accross the pavement to your car, I also have the same problem with my house, I bump park it on the pavement every night and because of this I am struggling to home charge it, I don't think people would be to happy with me if I did that, I'm sure neighbours would complain as its not my land its the councils so I'm sure there would be problems, but bravo to you for doing that! I wish I had your courage to do it!
Thanks, Alice. Wish I could say it was courage, but it's actually council sanctioned and part of trial (Go Ultra Low Oxford) which with any luck will see this rolled out more widely in the future. :) If you read from the start of this thread you will get the background on the trial too.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks, Alice. Wish I could say it was courage, but it's actually council sanctioned and part of trial (Go Ultra Low Oxford) which with any luck will see this rolled out more widely in the future. :) If you read from the start of this thread you will get the background on the trial too.
Wow! shock ok! Didn't realise apologies. I would love Cheshire council to support this! This is great news to get your council on board with you and actually implement this - fantastic! just reading the info on the link you posted now... thank you!

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter #231
Hi All - I've been quiet for a long time on this but wanted to share the official report on Phase 1 of these trials that I have recently been sent:

Longish read but with some interesting findings. Key things I'm taking away:
-public charge posts in residential areas are not commercially viable
-we are likely to see an explosion of lamp post chargers though, as they are much cheaper to install and as meters will now be allowed to be installed and therefore special cables won't be required
-the private cable channel (that I trialled) works very well if you live in a controlled parking zone (CPZ) / or don't have parking pressures, but will never be funded as it is a private rather than public solution (understandable). However, councils will make it much easier for you to get planning permission to put one in

Overall my own experience has shown that it can work really well and I'm ready to go to a BEV next year when my GTE lease runs out. When the trial started we didn't have a CPZ and I could go a whole week without getting access to my charging point but we have had a CPZ since the summer and now almost always get the space. It has aroused a lot of interest from neighbours and passers by and the reaction has been very positive. A neighbour has this week decided to buy a Nissan Leaf and hopes to install a cable channel too.

In fact, there are an increasing number of EVs in our area with people coming up with interesting (!) solutions to charge - see pictures attached. This highlights the need to start installing chargers in as many lamp posts as possible and allowing people to pay for and install cable channels easily.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter #234 (Edited)
Judging by the photos above they could try disguising bollards as green recycling bins.
:ROFLMAO:

Don't even start... one of my real pet hates people not putting their bins away after bin day in our area! Though to be fair this was bin day...

·
Registered
4,504 Posts
:ROFLMAO:

Don't even start... one of my real pet hates people not putting their bins away after bin day in our area! Though to be fair this was bin day...
How about disguising the bollards as drunk students then? Nobody is going to notice a few more of those in Jericho.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter #236
How about disguising the bollards as drunk students then? Nobody is going to notice a few more of those in Jericho.
Haha! :) This is actually East Oxford but same very much applies!

·
Registered
180 Posts
Great thread! 2 questions - What might be the solution for those of us without kerbside lampposts or CPZ? And - where can I get a cable cover like the one in the photos connected to the i3? (as that is the only solution for us I think...)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter #238
Great thread! 2 questions - What might be the solution for those of us without kerbside lampposts or CPZ? And - where can I get a cable cover like the one in the photos connected to the i3? (as that is the only solution for us I think...)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The lamppost not being kerb side is an issue in a lot of places, but the report suggests you could combine the cable channel idea with lamppost chargers - so that would be one solution for you. They typically work better than other solutions in areas without a CPZ too because you can install so many more so you have more options to park. As for where the i3 guy bought the cable cover I have no idea - but will ask him for you the next time I see him or even give him a knock!

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
... where can I get a cable cover like the one in the photos connected to the i3?...
ebay search on Industrial Cable Protector then try the links at bottom gets me sites like this:
https://www.theramppeople.co.uk/cable-protectors/heavy-duty-cable-protectors
and take your pick! Screw fix have a relatively lightweight protector, but looks like you'ld be poking the cable through the rubber seal every time you use it; the one shown above looks nicer, I suspect you just open the lid & drop the cable in, or something simple like that.

221 - 240 of 245 Posts