Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

241 - 245 of 245 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
ebay search on Industrial Cable Protector then try the links at bottom gets me sites like this:
https://www.theramppeople.co.uk/cable-protectors/heavy-duty-cable-protectors
and take your pick! Screw fix have a relatively lightweight protector, but looks like you'ld be poking the cable through the rubber seal every time you use it; the one shown above looks nicer, I suspect you just open the lid & drop the cable in, or something simple like that.
Before I realised that "flying" a cable out to the car was quicker and easier (see: https://www.speakev.com/threads/home-chargepoint-with-cable-reel.143803/post-2716303), I spent some time looking into how to get a cable across the footpath with minimum of risk to pedestrians.

One interesting nugget: there's a generally-accepted legal threshold which seems to be well known to ambulance-chasers and claims firms, and which is used in cases of potential negligence relating to trip hazards (e.g. for claims against a local authority for uneven paving). The threshold is 25mm i.e. the trip hazard must be shown to protrude or indent by 25mm for a claim to succeed e.g. https://direct2compensation.co.uk/help-articles/how-do-i-know-if-i-have-a-valid-claim-for-tripping-accident-compensation

I am not a lawyer, but since this was pretty much the only concrete data I could find on trip hazard sizes, I thought I'd see if I could find a cable protector slim enough to fall below the threshold. Short story: there aren't many that have both the necessary cable capacity and a sub-25mm profile. In fact, I only managed to find one such profile - Vulcascot Type A - and it's eye-watering expensive, and somewhat hard to get hold of. I got it here in the end: https://www.kingfisherdirect.co.uk/vulcascot-type-a-industrial-cable-protector.

It's good stuff though, and the peace of mind knowing I've done the best I can to minimize the hazard is worth something to me (I marked it up with yellow/black tape and used it with some "Caution, trip hazard" signs, like the ones back up the thread).

BTW, if anyone wants a bit of Vulcascot Type A, PM me - I've got a 3m offcut and I'm a reasonable man ;)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Great thread! 2 questions - What might be the solution for those of us without kerbside lampposts or CPZ? And - where can I get a cable cover like the one in the photos connected to the i3? (as that is the only solution for us I think...)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
So the cable protector I used for the I3 (in the photos) is from Amazon, I tried a couple of different types from the internet and this was the only one that was sturdy enough and guaranteed to remain flat. I also got the warning sign from Amazon also. I can't post a link due to this being my first post, however, if you search on Amazon for 'B00OSB93X2' it should pop up, it's called 'PrimeMatik - Cable floor cover protector trunking rubber bumper 2 way 98 cm' and is on for £26.99.

Hope this helps,

Owen

·
Registered
5,777 Posts
The subject of running cables across pavements crops up regularly. They all involve some form of cover to reduce trip hazards. But many also warn of local authority involvement where such measures are frowned upon. I suppose it depends on the location. Used in a street with heavy footfall and/or pram and wheelchair traffic they could result in complaints and demands for action. Even in quiet sidestreets, there could also be nosy neighbour reports. And in some places they don't raise an eyebrow. I suppose that it's a case of 'suck it and see' - and if you get away with it well and good. If not, at least it opens the debate with the council about them installing lamp-post chargers in the town for people without drives. Meaning that if more people resorted in such methods it would force their hand to look at the situation in depth.

·
Registered
23 Posts
If not, at least it opens the debate with the council about them installing lamp-post chargers in the town for people without drives. Meaning that if more people resorted in such methods it would force their hand to look at the situation in depth.
That's exactly how I see it - ask permission, you'll make it easy for the council to say "you can't do that". Ask forgiveness however, even a little bit of civil disobedience if necessary...

Important thing is to satisfy yourself you've been as diligent as reasonably practicable at every step. Councils are going to have to support across-pavement charging one way or another, the money just isn't there for ubiquitous street chargers.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter #245
So the cable protector I used for the I3 (in the photos) is from Amazon, I tried a couple of different types from the internet and this was the only one that was sturdy enough and guaranteed to remain flat. I also got the warning sign from Amazon also. I can't post a link due to this being my first post, however, if you search on Amazon for 'B00OSB93X2' it should pop up, it's called 'PrimeMatik - Cable floor cover protector trunking rubber bumper 2 way 98 cm' and is on for £26.99.

Hope this helps,

Owen
Thanks Owen, good to speak with you this morning!

241 - 245 of 245 Posts