Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

I'm about to get my new Kia e-Niro 4 and researching what type of charging point to get installed.
I've got Solar panels fitted already at home so any recommendations on a good installer (Sheffield region) or the unit that best integrates with the panels?
Thanks,

Kevin

·
Registered
227 Posts
Get what you pay for.
Best looking on the market and has the best features, works with solar, has a fuse saver feature, battery storage, lockable, ip66.

It's on the side of my house, matches the doors and windows. I don't want a plastic wheel or something with a junction box directly below it

·
Registered
540 Posts
MyEnergi Zappi. Works with solar, can also link to MyEnergi Eddi to heat your water with solar and prioritise what happens when. Can be a faff to setup but I am happy with mine.

I think SolarEdge now do an EV charger - worth looking at if you have a SolarEdge inverter.

·
Registered
446 Posts
MyEnergi Zappi. Works with solar, can also link to MyEnergi Eddi to heat your water with solar and prioritise what happens when. Can be a faff to setup but I am happy with mine.

I think SolarEdge now do an EV charger - worth looking at if you have a SolarEdge inverter.
Get what you pay for.
Best looking on the market and has the best features, works with solar, has a fuse saver feature, battery storage, lockable, ip66.

It's on the side of my house, matches the doors and windows. I don't want a plastic wheel or something with a junction box directly below it
Just on the Eddi, and in a world with Agile and tanks so well insulated the losses are negligible have you examined the pay back time for the £4-500 it costs installed?

·
Registered
540 Posts
Just on the Eddi, and in a world with Agile and tanks so well insulated the losses are negligible have you examined the pay back time for the £4-500 it costs installed?
In a word - no 🙂.
In all honesty if I looked hard at payback I wouldn't have the solar panels or the GTE either. I was keen to generate as much as possible, and use as much of what we generate as possible. On that basis the Eddi works and heart wins - head got out voted 🙂

·
Registered
446 Posts
In a word - no 🙂.
In all honesty if I looked hard at payback I wouldn't have the solar panels or the GTE either. I was keen to generate as much as possible, and use as much of what we generate as possible. On that basis the Eddi works and heart wins - head got out voted 🙂
Which is fine as your eyes are open. If money is no object that electricity could produce 3x the hot water via a heat pump tank of course.

Different subject but I regularly get attacked on an ASHP forum where suppliers are happy to quote for large systems and loads of massive fan assisted radiators where the proper advice would be to spend some money on insulation and air tightness then revisit for a quote on a smaller ASHP and cheaper (or maybe existing) radiators.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Which is fine as your eyes are open. If money is no object that electricity could produce 3x the hot water via a heat pump tank of course.

Different subject but I regularly get attacked on an ASHP forum where suppliers are happy to quote for large systems and loads of massive fan assisted radiators where the proper advice would be to spend some money on insulation and air tightness then revisit for a quote on a smaller ASHP and cheaper (or maybe existing) radiators.
I never said money no object 🙂
Aside from cost a heat pump tank would require a load of installation work and require a chunk of space I don't want to lose.

·
Registered
759 Posts
In a word - no 🙂.
This is the same for me. I have 4.5kw PV with a 5KWh battery pack & own an e-Golf. If I too was to look at the payback I'd never have bought them. In reality for me living on the North coast of NI I rarely get enough PV to fill my car. because when it is Sunny my wife has the Washing machine, Tumbledrier, Dishwasher, and water heater all running at full tilt. So there is rarely enough sun in the sky to get any real Kwh into my car...

·
Registered
540 Posts
This is the same for me. I have 4.5kw PV with a 5KWh battery pack & own an e-Golf. If I too was to look at the payback I'd never have bought them. In reality for me living on the North coast of NI I rarely get enough PV to fill my car. because when it is Sunny my wife has the Washing machine, Tumbledrier, Dishwasher, and water heater all running at full tilt. So there is rarely enough sun in the sky to get any real Kwh into my car...
Similar to us - we are further south though so probably get a bit more sun. Doing very little mileage at the moment so the PV and battery have been providing 100% of our power for months, just starting to drop a bit as the clouds build and days get shorter ☹

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Hi folks,

I'm about to get my new Kia e-Niro 4 and researching what type of charging point to get installed.
I've got Solar panels fitted already at home so any recommendations on a good installer (Sheffield region) or the unit that best integrates with the panels?
Thanks,

Kevin
Since you already have solar, the favoured solution by most users/installers is the myenergi Zappi.
There are others of course, but if get onto Octopus Agile you can use other solutions but also benefit in the winter months from the cheapest elecy to fill the EV.
If not with Octopus, make sure you use a referral code to get £50 off.

Also look at Ohme, EO mini etc.
Just remember solar is only ever a top up type scenario from excess generation that you are not using for other things Which would normally just get exported.

·
Registered
92 Posts
We use the Eddi to divert the excess solar generated to a resistive heater such as the £25 2kW space heater ones from Argos. Heats our hallway all year round. Comes into its own, autumn, spring time when outside temp drops to 10-15 degrees. You could use the excess solar for underfloor heating and/or charging your ev.

·
Registered
92 Posts
We use the Eddi to divert the excess solar generated to a resistive heater such as the £25 2kW space heater ones from Argos. Heats our hallway all year round. Comes into its own, autumn, spring time when outside temp drops to 10-15 degrees. You could use the excess solar for underfloor heating and/or charging your ev.
Diverting the excess solar had saved us loads in space heating gas central heating costs, as able to put gas boiler on, later in the season, so the £450 I suspect has been "returned" via a lower gas bill.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Regardless of the ROI numbers, the point is the simple convenience of being at home doing things you want or need to whilst the car merrily charges away. Unlike those who have to sit in the car in often dimly lit and somewhat desolate charger locations feeling somewhat unsafe. Can’t put a high enough price on convenience and safety.

·
Registered
271 Posts
If your a DIYer you could use this , just add Contactor and an EV cable (total build less then £300) you have equivalent of what zappie can do

1 - 18 of 18 Posts