Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are getting closer to buying either a Leaf or a Zoe now I found out that we can charge our battery free of charge at a local supermarket, isn’t that great? Would that be typical? What would be the cost of charging your battery. Now, if we want to take the occasional long distance trip, we will need to stop for a quick charge every two hours or so. I read somewhere that the battery gets overheated and that the distance you can travel diminishes after every recharge? Is that the case? I much appreciate help as this still is so very new to us. Yours Vincent from Spain

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
The Zoe has forced air cooling for the battery: never heard of uncontrolled temperature rise after repeated charging.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No problems. There's a prolific poster with a lot of Zoe experience, over several models, based in Spain. Goes by the name of cah***. I'm sure he will be pleased to help you.
Thank you Freddy, could you perhaps post the ? Í‘ve googled it unsuccessfully, many thanks

·
Registered
15,433 Posts
Your message is not quite clear....
We’re on our third ZOE now. Both the Leaf and ZOE seem to be popular in Spain, so you’ll have no problem with either option.

The new ZOE has the slight benefit of 22 kw AC charging and CCS (if specified). There should be some good deals around at the moment.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
We’re on our third ZOE now. Both the Leaf and ZOE seem to be popular in Spain, so you’ll have no problem with either option.

The new ZOE has the slight benefit of 22 kw AC charging and CCS (if specified). There should be some good deals around at the moment.
Yes, we have seen two different leaf models and they look both very attractive, also price wise. On Friday we are going to see the Zoe. Occasionally we will take longer road trips , and Spain is big, so we need to be assured that we can travel with recharging every 200km or so perhaps 3 or 4 times without problems. But yes, that’s to all your support, we are more convinced than ever to buy eith the leaf or the Zoe.
yesterday, shopping at Mercadona, a large supermarket chain in Spain and Portugal, we found out to our delight that they offer free charging and currently offer the same free service at some 7000 outlets. Brilliant

·
Registered
15,433 Posts
How long do you think your longest road trip will be?

If you're planning on using the chargers at supermarkets and in towns, you'll find that a lot of them are 22 kW, so the Zoe will charge a lot faster on these.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I would think perhaps six hundred kilometers at the most, that would mean charging three times for 30 to 45 minutes, which would be fine, we would not want to be in a rush, we are both just retiring and buying an electric car will be part of a stress free future, yours Vincent

·
Registered
15,433 Posts
I would think perhaps six hundred kilometers at the most, that would mean charging three times for 30 to 45 minutes, which would be fine, we would not want to be in a rush, we are both just retiring and buying an electric car will be part of a stress free future, yours Vincent
If you are looking at a New ZOE 50 then the range on the autoroute at normal speeds would be around 250 km. So you might get away with a couple of charges for a trip like that, which isn’t too bad.

Although the infrastructure in Spain isn’t as reliable as it should be yet. Lots of broken chargers or free chargers that are in use, so be warned.

I can recommend www.electromaps.com to plan your journey.

·
Registered
MG ZS EV Exclusive
331 Posts
... charge our battery free of charge at a local supermarket, isn’t that great?
Just remember; most supermarkets, at least in the UK, impose a strict time limit on car park stays. If this applies in your case you may not get a meaningful charge in the time allowed.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just remember; most supermarkets, at least in the UK, impose a strict time limit on car park stays. If this applies in your case you may not get a meaningful charge in the time allowed.
Thank you Mike, we shall take this into consideration

·
Registered
141 Posts
Now, if we want to take the occasional long distance trip, we will need to stop for a quick charge every two hours or so. I read somewhere that the battery gets overheated and that the distance you can travel diminishes after every recharge?
I think this is either not true, or a small effect.

If you use fast chargers on a regular basis you may reduce the life of the battery over time, according to some sources.

But that may mean that the battery capacity and range reduces 4% a year instead of 2% a year.

You are not going to lose large amounts in a short time.

·
evezy referral code d6540
2,680 Posts
So ZOE would not suffer from reduced charging speeds due to battery temperature, but would the OP have an issue with the LEAF in view of RapidGate?

·
Registered
4,344 Posts
So ZOE would not suffer from reduced charging speeds due to battery temperature, but would the OP have an issue with the LEAF in view of RapidGate?
That was fixed with the software update. The battery still heats up, but the charge rate doesn't taper off so much. Whether that's a good thing or not is debatable.

If you use fast chargers on a regular basis you may reduce the life of the battery over time, according to some sources.
To avoid confusing Vincent, that's a rapid charger (50kW or above). A fast charger usually means a 7kW destination charge point (which isn't very fast :)).

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I think this is either not true, or a small effect.

But that may mean that the battery capacity and range reduces 4% a year instead of 2% a year.

You are not going to lose large amounts in a short time.
That is wonderful new Jamie, so important to have peer advice. If we were to go for the Leaf, its battery has an eight year warranty and I would guess that in 8 years time the price for batteries will drop. Again, thank you for your time answering question, yours Vincent

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
But while we are talking EV, I hear a lot said about Zoe and very little about the Leaf. We have seen, as yet, only the Leaf, and it does look and feel handsome and we shall have our first encounter with Zoe on Friday, so why are you folks driving Zoe rather than Leaf? Once again, I am ever so grateful for all your feedback, there is so much to learn, and I would like to make the right decisions.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts