Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I have a 2014 Gen 1.5 Leaf. 87% status of health.
With a car of this age, the range is limited so I need all the range I can get.

Because of this, I tend to charge to 100% every night at home. I know some people say just charge to 80%, but if I did this, it will affect my already limited range. The car is used every day.

What do people think of charging a 2014 leaf to 100% every night?

·
Registered
788 Posts
It's okay, as long as you minimise the time it's sitting there full. Maybe time it so that it only gets full just before you leave for work.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
I charge it almost every night. At least 5 of 7 days we drive 55-60 miles.

Calculating amount of charge for the other 2 days seems to much of hassle. I did try on early days. Now I just plug in every night.

If you know you aren't going to use it the next day, don't plug it in as long as its over 50%

- Leaf 30 kWh
Sent from mobile phone so please mind the typos

·
Registered
129 Posts
I charge it almost every night. At least 5 of 7 days we drive 55-60 miles.

Calculating amount of charge for the other 2 days seems to much of hassle. I did try on early days. Now I just plug in every night.

If you know you aren't going to use it the next day, don't plug it in as long as its over 50%

- Leaf 30 kWh
Mines been sitting a couple of days at 35% as I wasn’t plannning on charging it until I knew I was going to be using it. is that a bad idea? Should 8 charge it to just over 50% and let it sit there or is it ok to charge it to 80%.

I noticed on Monday after my first rapid (43 kw) charge (11kwh to take battery up to 70%) the battery temp went up from about 13C to 23C and on the drive home the economy was great (4.6 mpk) compared to the outward leg (at 3.6 mpk) even though I did a bit of motorway at 70mph. I am thinking it performs better with a warm battery (is that right?) so planned to give it a good charge just before I set off on my next journey.

SoH has improved by 1% and Hx by 1.5% after a couple of 7kw charges and the one 43 kw one.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Mines been sitting a couple of days at 35% as I wasn’t plannning on charging it until I knew I was going to be using it. is that a bad idea? Should 8 charge it to just over 50% and let it sit there or is it ok to charge it to 80%.

I noticed on Monday after my first rapid (43 kw) charge (11kwh to take battery up to 70%) the battery temp went up from about 13C to 23C and on the drive home the economy was great (4.6 mpk) compared to the outward leg (at 3.6 mpk) even though I did a bit of motorway at 70mph. I am thinking it performs better with a warm battery (is that right?) so planned to give it a good charge just before I set off on my next journey.

SoH has improved by 1% and Hx by 1.5% after a couple of 7kw charges and the one 43 kw one.
I keep mine around 40% when not using it. I believe that is the charge level that gives lowest degradation, so 35% sounds fine to me.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
A warm (not hot) battery is indeed better than cold one for efficiency.

Storage voltage is 3.7v so anything close to 50% is better than being at 80% for long term storage.

The sight increase in SoH / Ahr after rapid is normal though it reverts back (rapid is like bruteforcing).

Preheat the car prior to driving - this ensures less energy needed to keep the car warm.

- Leaf 30 kWh

·
Registered
129 Posts
What would you consider to be a warm battery temp please?

Does preheating the car heat the battery?

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
What would you consider to be a warm battery temp please?

Does preheating the car heat the battery?
Nissan in their infinite wisdom did not provide accurate reading rather a broad range.

4 bars is cold around 10C
First red bar indicates 42C or above
2nd would be 50.

You want to try avoid either red bars

- Leaf 30 kWh

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
speaking of charging to 100% and all this, I note when I drive off in B mode, there is no regen happening, cause battery is full etc this can happen for a bit

when does Regen kick in again, when it drops to 80% battery or something?

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
speaking of charging to 100% and all this, I note when I drive off in B mode, there is no regen happening, cause battery is full etc this can happen for a bit

When slow charging, full regen is available at around 93%.
With rapid charging, I've had regen at 97%

- Leaf 30 kWh

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
From the comments so far, it seems charging to 100% all the time seems
to be no major issue.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
From the comments so far, it seems charging to 100% all the time seems
to be no major issue.
Just don't leave it on fully charged state too long. If you think you need it the next day, charge it overnight

- Leaf 30 kWh

·
Registered
2,160 Posts

The available regen gradually rises as the battery discharges (look for the single and double circles on the left hand side of the power dots display). The %SOC at which full regen is available depends on battery temperature. At this time of year it can be below 80% SOC (and can be below 70% SOC when the battery temperature is down to 3 bars!!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just don't leave it on fully charged state too long. If you think you need it the next day, charge it overnight

- Leaf 30 kWh
Thanks. In regard to: fully charged state for ‘too long’

Can you further define ‘too long’
Is it equal to 3 hours or 3 days etc. ?

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Any number of days. Simplest battery care you can undertake is to forsee your usage.

If you aren't going to use it the next day, ideally battery should be ask be 50% on dash.

If your are going away on holiday for a week or more, try to leave it at 50%

- Leaf 30 kWh

·
Registered
774 Posts
Our 2015 Leaf had 88.4% SoH when we bought it in November 2017 with 13300 miles on.

It had had very few rapid charges, so I can only imagine that it had been kept "topped up" all the time by the previous (Lease) owner.

When we sold it in July 2019 with 25500 miles it had 88.0% SoH. In that time I kept it in the "goldilocks zone" of 40-80% almost all of the time, only ever charging to 100% immediately before taking it on a trip. My daily commute is 25 miles (round trip).

Regularly charging to 100%, and ESPECIALLY leaving it at 100% for periods of time will cause increased degradation. Do you own the car and intend to keep it for a long period is the question here. If so then yes, avoid using 100% so that you can maintain SoH as best as possible over the next few years.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Our 2015 Leaf had 88.4% SoH when we bought it in November 2017 with 13300 miles on.

It had had very few rapid charges, so I can only imagine that it had been kept "topped up" all the time by the previous (Lease) owner.

When we sold it in July 2019 with 25500 miles it had 88.0% SoH. In that time I kept it in the "goldilocks zone" of 40-80% almost all of the time, only ever charging to 100% immediately before taking it on a trip. My daily commute is 25 miles (round trip).

Regularly charging to 100%, and ESPECIALLY leaving it at 100% for periods of time will cause increased degradation. Do you own the car and intend to keep it for a long period is the question here. If so then yes, avoid using 100% so that you can maintain SoH as best as possible over the next few years.
thanks. To be honest will not be left long at 100% ever. Maybe an hour Max. I Just simply need the range.

plan to keep for 2/3 years and I own it.

I just think it’s a funny concept in the first place, this charging to 80%. Like I’d always charge my phone to 100 if possible, when I had an ICE car I’d always fill it up, when I’d order a pint I’d want a full one, not 80% full, etc etc

I know it’s for the betterment of the battery and longevity etc abut on a car with such limited range to begin with , it’s simply not practical

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
thanks. To be honest will not be left long at 100% ever. Maybe an hour Max. I Just simply need the range.

plan to keep for 2/3 years and I own it.

I just think it’s a funny concept in the first place, this charging to 80%. Like I’d always charge my phone to 100 if possible, when I had an ICE car I’d always fill it up, when I’d order a pint I’d want a full one, not 80% full, etc etc

I know it’s for the betterment of the battery and longevity etc abut on a car with such limited range to begin with , it’s simply not practical
Charge to 80% arises from NASA studies they identified 3.93v as the best for maximum cycles and capacity.

Every 0.1v drop in charge voltage doubles the number of usable cycles while reducing capacity.

- Leaf 30 kWh

·
Registered
774 Posts
I do actually do the same thing with my mobile phone. I try to unplug it at 80-90% if I remember, but if I don't then I unplug it before I go to bed. it's only been left on a charger overnight maybe 15-20 times? It's 2 years old and I use it heavily every day (3-6 hours Screen on Time).

Its battery is performing at 86% of the new claimed capacity (which it is likely it never actually was anyway) according to accubattery. Certainly I have no problem with battery life on my 2 year old phone while many people do have battery life issues with devices at that age - my HTC One M8 died completely in that timeframe.

My samsung tablet (S5e) has an option (that I use) that limits max charge to 85% (it actually rescales everything, so "100%" as presented in the UI is actually 85%) in order to extend battery lifetime.

I found it eminently practical. I used approx 45% SoC per day with my Leaf, and a 2 hour charge slot on my workplace charger would restore about 40%. I would charge to 80% on monday, drive down to 35% by tuesday morning, charge to 75, down to 30, charge to 70, down to 25, charge to 65, down to 20 on friday morning, charge to 60, then on the weekend I'd charge at the supermarket whilst shopping, and at any point I could top up at home if needed.

But that's my life, not your life. What's practical for one might not be for another. I did charge it to 100% when I needed to take a journey.

As you saw from my figures above, the way that I treated the battery resulted in 0.4% SoH degradation over 19 months and almost doubling the mileage that was on the vehicle.

This is one factor that swayed me in buying our first ever new car (replacing the leaf) was being able to take proper care of the battery from the off. In 3 months and one week since getting it I've covered 4200 miles in the Tesla and it's been charged to 100% a grand total of 3 times and for no more than 40 minutes altogether.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts