Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I live in a new build development in the UK. It's based in a middle of a business park, surrounded by lots of trees of wild life. It's a modern looking development occupied mostly by young families and professional workers.

Property management company just held a meeting and told us we are not allowed to have charing cables across the pavement because they are safety hazard.

Best part is the development calls itself "Green" and there is an actual wind turbine here where security EV cars are charging their batteries!

Apparently this is not the priority for them and they will be looking at installing EV chargers at the visitors parking bays. They also said they will send us map of public chargers!

There are only two visitors bays per road with 10 houses and 20 cars. Some properties have they allocated parking bays at the back of their house so sometimes they use visitors parking bays so they can stop at front of their house if they need to carry their babies, shopping etc so basically they are always occupied.

I can't see how two EV chargers at visitors parking bays will solve this! Especially we two e-trons just on my street. I bet there will be 3kW like most of free chargers in the UK.

I'm about to collect my e-tron and PodPoint supposed to be coming next week to install the charger on the front wall of the house right opposite our parking bays. I understand that charing cable across the pavement could be an issue as someone could trip over them. I suggested to the property management company that we could use one of those cable guards like the one below but they also said no.

Most of us would charge at night to benefit from the cheaper electricity tariff. Probably plug in at 10pm before going to bed and unplug 6-7am in the morning before going to work. I have a ring doorbell and I can't see there is close to no walking at the time.

Another option could be a small channel in the asphalt so we could run the cable underneath the walking path. I'm not a builder but the distance from edge of my house and the car is 1 meter so this shouldn't be difficult and/or expensive in my opinion. I believe this would be more elegant and safer solution.

This is really frustrating especially that there is demand and many people in our development already own a PHEV and would like to get an EV car but as it stand they won't be able to charge from home.

I'm still getting me e-tron and will be forced to use public chargers for now. Luckily there 150kW charger 5 miles away and 125kW one 15 miles away plus lots of 50kW ones around town. It will be inconvenient and 5 more expensive than charing from home.

I wonder if this was the problem in other developments in the UK and around the world. I would love to hear your story and how you managed to solve this or not.

Many thanks

·
Registered
5,112 Posts
You could go down the legal route and challenge whether they actually have any right to ban you (I doubt it).

Or just get on with it and use the cable cover overnight as you have suggested. Let your neighbours know in advance etc

Best of luck, in dealing with the petty officials

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You could go down the legal route and challenge whether they actually have any right to ban you (I doubt it).

Or just get on with it and use the cable cover overnight as you have suggested. Let your neighbours know in advance etc

Best of luck, in dealing with the petty officials
Neighbours are ok its just the management company going the easy route saying no to everything. They officially told me no it's safety issue so I'm not going to do something illegal.

I wonder if if they have plan to put more public chargers where were live hence they don't want people to have one at home. Lamp post with 3kW charger are not gonna be useful.

·
Registered
5,112 Posts
Neighbours are ok its just the management company going the easy route saying no to everything. They officially told me no it's safety issue so I'm not going to do something illegal.

I wonder if if they have plan to put more public chargers where were live hence they don't want people to have one at home. Lamp post with 3kW charger are not gonna be useful.
It wont be illegal. Ie is there wont be a law or bylaw explicitly covering this?. To check, consult a lawyer, get him to see if the deeds have say a covenant stating you are not allowed to have a cable across the payment (protected by a cover).
If its not stated, you are entitled to "fair enjoyment" of your property. Stand up to their bullying!

·
Registered
589 Posts
If anything I think this would be something to put into law ie stop anyone from banning the practice.
It’d be something I would support letting everyone do this as long as there’s a small mat or ramp in place. I mean we have to support electric cars to be adopted as not everyone has access to a driveway.

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro MY20 64 kWh - Gravity Blue
649 Posts
This is a case for civil disobedience. Tell them they have failed to take into account the needs of owners of electric cars and that you are going to charge your car and will take precautionary measures so there is no safety issue.

Too much corporate bullying going on already. Stand up to them. It's the only way.

·
Registered
30KW Tekna (2017)
1,120 Posts
I could not live with the constant worry someone knocks at your door having tripped on it and suing you?

·
Registered
589 Posts
I could not live with the constant worry someone knocks at your door having tripped on it and suing you?
Well if there’s a regulation in place permitting putting ramps in as in the first picture they would not be able to sue you.
Maybe time to start a petition I think.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts