Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Connexion newspaper reports on an interesting prototype robot designed to charge electric and hybrid cars in garages.

Answering to the name Charles (say it with a French accent as in "Charles Aznavour"...) it has been designed to solve what its creators believe to be one of the key problems of electric vehicles: how to charge them while at work or at airports, without having to move them from the electric point once full.

Salim El Houat, chief executive and co-founder of Lyon-based Mob-Energy, told the Connexion: “The classic case is someone who takes an electric car to go to work and plugs it in a street charging point in the morning. Once the battery is full, or has the charge they want, the car sits there without charging until either they leave work to move it to another parking space, which might not be easy to find, or until they go home hours later.

“In either case, there is a significant time when the power point cannot be used by anyone else, and is just trickle charging the car.”

According to the Connexion "the robot operates from a charging station linked to the grid. When customers want to use it, they plug in a cable linked to a box which sits on the ground. Using their smartphones, they tell the robot how long they will be away and how much charge they want to have.The robot, which uses recycled electric car batteries to hold its own charge, then moves between vehicles which need charging and its charging station, to ensure all the cars are ready when their drivers want them again."

·
Registered
4,853 Posts
A typically Gaelic solution. I wonder how much charge the Robot can hold, and what the maximum charging rate is? There is also no sign of a working prototype or actual installation so I fear this isn't a real product but another Tech start-up with vapourware.

·
Registered
4,853 Posts
I think you mean Gallic..!

Wouldn't want any Scots on the forum taking offence...
It was an autocorrect issue, but upsetting both the CESMs and the Jocks in one post means it isn't all bad..... ;)

·
Registered
4,853 Posts
The company responsible seem to have a very short term vision where nasty EVs are cluttering up the car park for deserving ICE. If over time the balance shifts then the need for their products reduces.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
There's bound to be quite a few unemployed people when the furlough scheme ends. Plenty of opportunity to set up a business to offer this cheaper than a robot.
I believe this was already a thing in Shanghai, with people making a thriving business valet charging /parking, swapping people in an out of superchargers in the 50 supercharger multistory parking units.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts