Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Am I right in thinking that (in particular around Milton Keynes) you can spot a "fast" charger by the fatness of the post?

This SEEMS to be the general trend, but I'm not entirely sure if it's always correct? Is there indeed any sure fire way to tell a fast charger "by site" alone, or not?

As an aside, if that is one way to tell, the 32a posts are those most frequently ICEd in Milton Keynes, and also appear to be the least "policed" or signed.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
What do you mean by "fast" charger Paul? Are you talking about the visual difference between a 13A and 32A?

I can't speak for Milton Keynes but most POLAR/Chargemaster chargers have two sides... one side 13A and the other 32A.

I know that originally posts were put in with both sides of a POLAR charger or Pod Point post at 13A and that many have now been upgraded but I thought that the post reamined the same and they just replaced the socket and electronics. Did they actually replace the posts?

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmm...

Most of the ones I've encountered say "fast" or "normal" when presenting the card, but both flaps reveal a three pin plug! Perhaps I've just been unlucky with those!

There are two types mostly that I see around town (aside from the Pod-point) and I noticed that there are "fat" charge posts and thinner ones that are wider at the top. It seems that all the "fat" posts I've pulled up at are 32a/fast chargers, and the skinnier ones are all three-pin 13a types. But on charge maps it doesn't seem to reflect that all the "fat" post positions are faster chargers?

No idea, but I've found a few I like that are not normally ICEd, so that's a positive thing for me at least! :D

I'll try and add some photos when next in town, as "a picture paints a thousand words" as they say.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I've taken the approach that you can tell a 32a type-2 charger by the charge flaps being on the sides of the post.

The 3-pin versions all seem to have their charge flaps on the front, one above the other (as you drive up to them).

I could be wrong, but that's the rules I'm using at the moment.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
All the fat posts are all 32a chargers, I was talking to one of the guys that was putting it in, He said they want to make all the thin post 32a but that will take time

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Podpoint ones at heathrow have side flaps but are only 13 amp plugs underneath. They do however label the flaps 3kw

1 - 7 of 7 Posts