• Nope. Safety first!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As per the title, these are on for £55 each at tyreleader.co.uk at the moment. Hard to say no at that price.
Obviously priced as an age-related clearance item - I will check to make sure they've been properly stored when they arrive.

Newer versions of the same are £120.

Perviously I've been a HUGE fan of the Nokian WR-D4, but the replacement "SnowProof" is slightly cheaper but worse.
When I started I was expecting to pay £95-135 per corner, so £220 for four seems like a steal.

·
Registered
2017 Golf GTE
1,931 Posts
If they were on a caravan with minimal mileage, you'd be replacing them due to age.

Rubber gets brittle with age and cracks.

Maybe it's not so bad if not inflated. I wouldn't chance it myself.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I would be interested to see how they look when they arrive.

I think if stored indoors away from sunlight they'll be good - bargain like you say. Keep us posted!

·
I3 Rex, Dec 2013, Solar Orange, DC Prep
94Ah i3 Rex, Sept 2017 67 Plate
31 Posts
Did they arrive and what was the outcome .. in good condition? I ask because I'm considering a set at that price !

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update. The tyres that arrived look perfect. I checked them thoroughly and there is no cracking or perishing. Internal surfaces look good so I think they have been well-stored (also checked the '15 date codes). Only glitch is that the vendor sent the tyres in 2x pairs and DHL have lost one pair in transit. So a month on and I have a helpdesk ticket for a missing pair of tyres and another pair waiting to be fitted.

Reactions: charliestyr

·
Registered
397 Posts
I’ve still got 3 part worn Blizzak 19s for sale if any one wants them. Well over 5mm on each so good for a long while yet. £25 each.

Love affair with the i3S over due to arrival of small person.

Just ordered an e-2008 GT for the missus. Pretty sure no amount of shoe horning’s going to get them on it.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I’ve still got 3 part worn Blizzak 19s for sale if any one wants them. Well over 5mm on each so good for a long while yet. £25 each.

Love affair with the i3S over due to arrival of small person.

Just ordered an e-2008 GT for the missus. Pretty sure no amount of shoe horning’s going to get them on it.
I might need a pair for £50. Let me continue to hassle the company. (y)
Obviously everyone's experiences are different, but I found the i3 to be great with newborn and then with baby and toddler older sibling.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I might need a pair for £50. Let me continue to hassle the company. (y)
Obviously everyone's experiences are different, but I found the i3 to be great with newborn and then with baby and toddler older sibling.
After 4 years of i3 ownership with no kids, Missus used it for 6 weeks after the little one arrived but getting the mandatory rear facing baby seat in and out was a pain due to the doors.
Boot takes the pushchair and nothing else. Carry cot had to go on back seat.
Harsh ride of the S became more obvious when the little one wouldn’t sleep in the car.

Shame. She loved it, her second. But recognised it was time to move on.

Sold for a profit so all’s well that ends well.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So the second pair of tyres has shown up, after couriers lost them, a cancellation and rebook.
Excellent. Week 21 of 2015. Release compound still intact and no sign of cracking of perishing (although they've got some storage dirt).

Overall? A bargain.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Did they arrive and what was the outcome .. in good condition? I ask because I'm considering a set at that price !
Bump

·
Registered
374 Posts
I shouldn't have dithered on this perhaps as they've upped the price to £71.29! Still a pretty good deal but does make me reconsider newer ones...

Is the consus that winter tyres for the i3 is a signficant improvement? I don't live in a particularly cold/snowy place but do have winter tyres for my ICE. Felt a bit pointless the last 2 years but my commutes are still often 2-5 degrees C in winter. With the narrow-ish tyres and effective EV traction control, does the i3 really need them?

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The 'winters or not' debate is pretty overheated and has been rehashed here a few times. Each to their own but IME the winters make a big difference to stopping, going and turning traction in the i3 - whether it's slimy country roads or standing water on the motorway. You certainly don't need an alpine winter to make them worthwhile - but you do probably need the capital outlay of a 2nd set of wheels and somewhere to stash them for it to be sensible. It works for me because I have 20s for the summer and revert to 19s for the winter.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts