Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 192 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having a nosey on Auto Trader and came across these, very peculiar that the seller claims the batteries are included for that price!
Saved Adverts

Seems too good to be true - even for someone who only wanted the 22kWh batteries.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Both insurance write offs - so presumably would cost more to repair than they are worth. How do you tell an "i" model?
No impact damage in the photos and it says body so you have to wonder why they are written off. Flood damage perhaps? In which case you probably can't trust the battery is in a fit state of repair.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Both insurance write offs - so presumably would cost more to repair than they are worth. How do you tell an "i" model?
No impact damage in the photos and it says body so you have to wonder why they are written off. Flood damage perhaps? In which case you probably can't trust the battery is in a fit state of repair.
It's a 13plate so can't be an 'i' model, as they weren't introduced until late 2015 early 2016.

£2k for a knackered car and to pay a lease on a battery you don't own....
Where do I sign??

·
Registered
95 Posts
It's a 13plate so can't be an 'i' model, as they weren't introduced until late 2015 early 2016.

£2k for a knackered car and to pay a lease on a battery you don't own....
Where do I sign??
So lets assume that the insurance company has paid Renault for the battery, so the insurance company then owned the battery & sold to a third party. I assume then RCI would not be allowed to block you from using it?

·
Registered
939 Posts
So lets assume that the insurance company has paid Renault for the battery, so the insurance company then owned the battery & sold to a third party. I assume then RCI would not be allowed to block you from using it?
I don't believe that is a fair assumption, as I understand there are no mechanisms to buy a leased battery, even under this circumstance through an insurer.

Happy for someone to correct me if I am wrong on that!

·
Registered
923 Posts
Will Renault write off a battery? Presumably there has to come a time when the battery value has depreciated to the point where it's not worth the hassle of Renault removing it from the car.

These cars look as if they may have been written off because of major electrical system faults (not hard to do, given the cost of some repairs), so perhaps Renault may have concluded that there was a good chance that the battery had too little value remaining to be worth salvaging. How they deal with the lease and transfer of battery ownership I don't know, but I'd be surprised if they don't have a mechanism to do this for a written off car.

·
Co-author of CanZE. Q210 nov 2013
4,155 Posts
AFAIK in a write-off situation, RCI demands proof-of-destruction of the battery. That does of course means nothing as it is a paper exercise, but given that a battery has to be serial-number mated to the car and can be fairly easily disabled for charging, it would be a tricky proposition.

If I'd ever get my hands on a shady car like that, first thing I would do is rip the TCU power plug for sure. And then hope I never need a dealer ;)

·
Registered
244 Posts
Ah yeah those Zoe's.... I bought them.

I have it in writing from RCI that they have no financial interest in the batteries - the blue one was always battery owned, the black one had a battery lease, it was written off cat d (someone changed lanes into the passenger door), the guy bought it back off the insurance company and repaired the door.

Edit: correction to above paragraph - I now believe that both vehicles were battery leased as they are 2013 & 2014 (believe battery lease was only option then) and both are cat d write offs, this seems to be the only way to get a vehicle out of a battery lease and own the battery with Renault, as you can't buy out of the lease. When the vehicle is written off it seems pot luck if you insurance company pay you for the car and RCI for the battery and let you buy back the car with battery or pay you for the car and give the battery back to Renault...

They have both stopped working and his local garage couldnt fix them. They have sat for a long while but i'm going to see what I can do with them. My daily driver is an i-miev that I fixed myself so we'll see...

Attachments

·
Registered
939 Posts
Ah yeah those Zoe's.... I bought them.

I have it in writing from RCI that they have no financial interest in the batteries - the blue one was always battery owned, the black one had a battery lease, it was written off cat d (someone changed lanes into the passenger door), the guy bought it back off the insurance company and repaired the door.

They have both stopped working and his local garage couldnt fix them. They have sat for a long while but i'm going to see what I can do with them. My daily driver is an i-miev that I fixed myself so we'll see...
Very interesting!

Never knew battery owned versions were available as early as 2014, and certainly didn't think RCI would allow someone to buy out a leased one....

Hope you create a thread and keep us posted. Would love to hear your progress.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Hi,

You cant just buy out a battery lease, the black one had its lease ended when it was written off. On the blue one, RCI came straight back and said they had no interest in it, I took that to mean there was never a battery lease but that one is also a cat d write off so perhaps had its lease paid off at that point.

I had thought that when they were written off the battery was meant to be given back to Renault, but as far as im concerned I own them because I just paid for them and RCI are happy.

My plans are to get them working if possible - I bought both hoping that at least one could be a donor car and so use parts from it to get the other working but we'll see.

They both power on, blue one shows the common "Electrical failure - danger" or "Motor failure - danger" errors, the black one seems more keen on "Charging Impossible" with a bit of "Electrical failure - danger" thrown in. The black one does actually go to Ready however traction battery is empty, the guy was convinced the black one would drive if it could be charged, I think thats why the battery is flat - it was driven until empty.

Starting a new thread about the project is not a bad idea, someone might help me diagnose them !

I know a very good EV repair guy in Kent, he helped me diagnose my i-miev so might have to get on to him once ive done a bit of digging.

Ta

·
Registered
125 Posts
Renault can disable the charging remotely. I would guess that could have happened when they wrote them off.

Sent from my VFD 820 using Tapatalk

·
4,155 Posts
Very interested in such a thread because, well, I am :)

I am not too sure how much you could fool black one's BMS by simply charging the cells a bit to prove your point. It wouldn't be a bad idea anyway, as keeping the cells at (very) low SOC is not the best place for them to be.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Hi,

I do suspect the black one has had its charging disabled - the guy said it was a charging issue and the traction battery is flat and the main dash error is "Charging Impossible". It may come down to disabling the unit with the sim card and seeing if I can find someone to program the car so it will charge. I'll see what I can find out but also may have to get some power into the battery pack somehow to confirm if it does drive.

Just putting 400vdc across the battery with it in drive (traction battery engaged) should do it - the cells are all pretty balanced at 2.9/3v, I dont need it anywhere near full so balancing isnt an issue - if I can get hold of a 240vac to somewhere near 400vdc power supply and stick that across the battery for a while then that would put a bit of power into it to be able to test.

I've contacted the chap in Kent who helped me last time (OVS Hybrid and Electric car repairs in Tonbridge, the guy is an absolute legend and nice guy) so i'll see what he says.

From the errors showing up on the blue one I suspect the motor or motor controller is spannered and needs repair or replacement with a motor/controller from a damaged vehicle. Certainly looks like different issues with each car.

I'll report back...

Ta.

·
4,155 Posts
You don't need to go all the way to the TCU and inside it to get to the SIM. The TCU is totally non-essential and it's loom has a connector just behind the A/C control panel. Just rip the bezel from the R-Link unit, and you'll see the white connector. That is the cable running up to (only) the TCU which itself is tucked rather deep under the glare-shield and in front of (relative to the driving direction) R-Link unit. It's positioned there so it has relatively non-metal obstructed "view" to the environment.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Ah nice one thanks. Presume i'll still need someone to change the setting to allow it to charge but that will ensure Renault cant have their grubby mits on my cars !!

·
Registered
244 Posts
Hi all,

So today I got the black one to go to Ready and it moved forward and backwards under it’s own power. It said ‘Limited Performance’ on the dash but not surprising with a flat traction battery. Proves that it works but just has a charging issue.

I am pretty convinced that it has been charge locked by Renault, as they believe it is scrapped. My EV friend in Kent I’m sure will have the power to undo the lock so I can use what is rightfully mine.

I have disconnected the TCU by the connector mentioned above and removed it’s fuse, cleared fault codes and it still doesn’t charge. Strongly suspect this lock from Renault must be turned off and it’s more than my scanner can do. At least now it can’t get put back.

I am tempted to ring Renault and just ask them to remove the lock, you never know! Would have to plug the TCU back in of course if they do agree.

Thanks

·
4,155 Posts
As far as I know (huge caveat: this came from "a gent on the internet who refused to provide details") it's the TCU that basically sends the battery a "no you won't" command" and that will disable any further charging. Same to revert it. He also said that once you were in the TCU it was childishly simple to enable/disable charging. But then again, as you all know I am a billionaire and I own two Ferrari's.

I'll PM you.

1 - 20 of 192 Posts