Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

181 - 200 of 202 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Hello all,

Minor update on both cars -

I've been chatting with Mike regarding the blue car's PEB, he is going to come and collect it and see what he can do, i.e. read the data and program some blank chips. Once he thinks he's successfully programmed some new chips then we'll try it in the car, potentially while monitoring the communication to that chip so that we can see what it does and correct the programming if necessary.

If its not possible to resolve the programming issue then I will sell the car, either with battery or sell the battery separately. I'm not spending 2k on a new PEB then programming it and all the other bits this car needs, its not worth the cost, time and effort with kids, a day job and other projects - i'm waiting for a Peugeot Ion with a popped charger to arrive, tho the good news is i'm nearly done with the battery work on my brother in law's electric moped....

Black car came up with 'Check Electric System' in the last few days, car was still driving fine but AC, cruise control and speed limiter stopped working. Tried clearing fault codes but they came straight back, the fault codes were
DF086 AIR CONDITIONING COMPRESSOR, CAN FAULT
DF107 VACUUM PUMP PRIVATE MULTIPLEX NETWORK

Fault codes seem to say that the car couldn't communicate with the AC. AC compressor is in a tricky location low down in front of the PEB/motor, on the left as you look under the bonnet. There is a black metal cover protecting the wires (orange HV and black comms connectors) and they are not easy to get to. I couldn't get either of these off but traced the orange HV connector onto the BCB, its at the front in the middle, next to a black (comms from charge port) and grey connector (havent worked out what this is yet).

I pulled relevant fuses (numbers 3 and 6) and took off and put back any HV and comms connector under the bonnet that seemed relevant (and that I could actually access) and the errors have now cleared, so just seems like a poor connection. If it returns i'll investigate further but fortunately doesn't seem like anything major.

Also tried to get ZE online services working on the black Zoe but the car is not communicating with Renault. I suspect the sim in the TCU is now inactive as the car was dead for months, i've pulled fuses etc and no joy, suspect that can't be fixed. Oh well.

7Kw home charge port should be fitted tomorrow (2nd attempt as my earth resistance reading was 0.02 ohms too high when they came 1st time, which was a big issue but is fine now I have a bit of paper from UK power networks saying it can't be improved...), I also haven't yet tried a rapid charge on the black Zoe so thats on the list next time i'm passing one. My nearest one is with a company that wants to charge £8 a month, I don't use them that much so its not worth it - so need to go to one further away to try that. Also need to get into Club 100 at some point, ah so much to do :)

Cheers.

·
Co-author of CanZE. Q210 nov 2013
4,233 Posts
The compressor indeed wires to the HV bus because it can draw substantial power. I don't know the exact rating but I have seen 3 kW in my dash on a hot day stopped at a red light.

The reason it's going to the BCB is that next to the charger it is the HV "spider box". At the back of it there are the beefy bus bars running along the orange connectors. Two wires inside run to two fuses located behind the small removable plate on the front. From there, they run straight to the AC HV connector. Those fuses are the easiest access to the HV bus and it's actually used when doing a high voltage current leak test to ground.

You know where to find pics ;)

·
Registered
5 Posts
If its not possible to resolve the programming issue then I will sell the car, either with battery or sell the battery separately. I'm not spending 2k on a new PEB then programming it and all the other bits this car needs, its not worth the cost, time and effort with kids, a day job and other projects - i'm waiting for a Peugeot Ion with a popped charger to arrive, tho the good news is i'm nearly done with the battery work on my brother in law's electric moped....
Do you know, if a new PEB would program itself automatically, when it is connected the first time or is a manual programming operation necessary?

·
Registered
360 Posts
Do you know, if a new PEB would program itself automatically, when it is connected the first time or is a manual programming operation necessary?
Peter the EV mechanic that I talk to (and who is probably well fed up of me by now!) certainly made it sound like a manual step.

Thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello all,
I have also dismounted my PEB now. While doing that, I was wondering
why one plug in the Inverter has no cable connected to it. Do someone know what it is for?

·
Co-author of CanZE. Q210 nov 2013
4,233 Posts
I have speculated earlier that that port is used in the Nordic models for the 400 volt resistor based windshield heater. Earlier mentioned beefy bus bars run directly underneath that connector row.

·
Speak, Eevee!
1,084 Posts
I had a bus bar replaced when DC-DC was replaced, I think he said there was some kind of coating on it that had cracked (but I might be Chinese Whispering it or thinking of some other part)

Kind of miss having a windscreen heater. Just have to be a little more patient when it's misted up :)

·
Registered
890 Posts
I've looked online and can see 10mm pentagon bits and 6.3mm but these look to be around 8mm (note: that cheap gauge isn't totally accurate and neither are my fingers...).

I did undo the little torx bolts but its held together by something thats fixed in with those pentagon bolts.
I'm very late to this fascinating discussion.

One horrible bodge you can use when you don't have the perfect bit for a funny shaped screw is to stuff the screwhead full of aluminium foil, it can fill up all the space and allow a roughly fitting bit to exert enough force. I discovered this trick myself trying to get some weird security bolts out of something.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hello everyone, new on the forum I just discovered this really exciting thread ! My zoe also has a PEB problem and I'd like to replace it with a spare part. Did Mike identify the chip that contains the VIN? Do you think I could transfer the chip from one PEB to another... Thanks for your help !

·
Registered
360 Posts
Hi there,

I'll update on the blue car shortly, but yes it is possible to transfer the chip that holds the vin (and motor information) from one PEB to another. It is fairly tricky to do as taking the PEB apart to get to the chip is a bit of fun as detailed above, depends how involved you want to get. OVS Hybrid and Electric Car Repairs in Kent can do the job if you need.

Cheers.

·
Registered
695 Posts
The chip is the M95256 next to the big Infineon processor chip. I have figured out how to write the VIN and motor data to the chip, to the point where it will read back correctly on a diagnostic reader.
Chip swapping between PEBs, keeping the same motor should be no problem, I don't know how important the motor data is, or how much variation there is between motors. If there is significant variation in rotor angle values between motors, having this wrong would probably cause problems.
I also don't know what the "official" method is for programming motor data.I know that VIN programming is done via a Renault tool that has to "phone home" to do it.
Gary couldn't get the reprogrammed PEB running, but it had an unknown history and may also have suffered during disassembly.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Wow, you are so good ! the circuit is the one you already identified ... I wonder if it would be possible to reprogram the VIN with DDT4all on a virgin PEB (the data is read-only when already programmed).
So you had to desolder the chip to modify the VIN with an EPROM programmer? Personally I am lucky to have the old PEB, so I will transfer the chip

·
Registered
360 Posts
Hi All,

Just to round off the discussion for those wondering what happened to the blue car, here it is.

As Mike alluded to above, the blue car did not get fixed. Mike did some amazing work programming the a blank chip with VIN and motor information (see picture) and managing to power up the bare board and connect it to the diagnostics machine directly however once it was all back together it still did not work. My fault code reader came up with PEB errors & BCB errors. I spoke with Pete at OVS and he advised some things to try but unfortunately they didnt work.

The history of this car is unknown, the PEB is a 2nd hand unit so we dont know if it has issues. The car has obviously had a lot of work done on it replacing various parts and it was the first time i'd ever opened a PEB so I undoubtedly did it in a pretty poor way which could have led to damage.

I am really not into stripping cars down, I have a job, kids, etc so I sold the car as spares or repairs. The guy that bought it actually knew of Pete at OVS and had it trucked directly to him. If anyone can fix it now its him ! I've been chatting with Pete and he is planning to swap some of the boards inside the PEB to see what happens, I suspect it will need a new PEB entirely which is expensive, anyhow at least we should find out the last part to this story. I do hope it gets returned to the road. When I was selling the car I checked the mileage with my diagnostics reader (right side of the dash was covered with an error) and it said 6,336... unbelievable not even 7k, no wonder the overall condition of the car was good.

The good news is the black car is still running OK and we're using it a lot. I also have been working on my next project, a Peugeot Ion with charging issues, I think i've got to the bottom of that one so hopefully that car will return to the road soon.

For now i'm back on the hunt for more cars......

Cheers all !

·
Registered
360 Posts
Just a bit more info for those who like this sort of thing, the VIN and motor information in the chip had checkdigits stored directly after them, after a bit of head scratching I worked out that these were CRC-16/X-25 format ;-) An online calculator like https://crccalc.com/ can calculate those.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Wow, you are so good ! the circuit is the one you already identified ... I wonder if it would be possible to reprogram the VIN with DDT4all on a virgin PEB (the data is read-only when already programmed).
So you had to desolder the chip to modify the VIN with an EPROM programmer? Personally I am lucky to have the old PEB, so I will transfer the chip
I have little doubt that it could be reprogrammed via the CAN bus, the problem being figuring out the commands, which would be a lot of work, and only worthwhile if this was a common enough problem to be worth spending the time on.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Hello everyone, new on the forum I just discovered this really exciting thread ! My zoe also has a PEB problem and I'd like to replace it with a spare part. Did Mike identify the chip that contains the VIN? Do you think I could transfer the chip from one PEB to another... Thanks for your help !
If anyone has a spare PEB in any condition ( complete, not burned/corroded inside) I'd really like to get hold of one to take a detailed look at on my Youtube channel. Willing to pay reasonable ( for a non-working unit) price and shipping costs. email me at mike at electricstuff dot co dot uk

181 - 200 of 202 Posts