Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

141 - 160 of 191 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
my dear old late dad did lots of car salvage in the 80's 90's and would have loved this post .. good on you Gary !
Thanks, I am having a lot of fun it has to be said. As not many people will touch a broken EV, that means at the price i'm paying for a car there is nothing to lose. Well even "losing" would be a financial gain as I could just split them for parts, although would take a bit of time.

No joy yet on the chip programming for the blue car, the EV guy has passed them on to a chip expert within the HEVRA network. Hopefully he'll com up trumps and as we're not aware of anyone else managing to do this in the past, if we can get it to work then it should keep a few more Zoe's on the road with used parts.

Cheers all.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I've done quite a lot of that sort of stuff in the past & would be interested in taking a look - feel free to pass on my email address - mike at electricstuff.co.uk
If anyone can sort this Mike, it's you...

·
Registered
55 Posts
Late to the thread, At least I have found out what happened to those two cars. You beat me to them as when I called up the guy selling them you must have been on your way to see them.
Gutted that I missed out on a Zoe without lease :-(

At worst I was thinking of taking the battery out and making it a powerwall then selling the car without battery, they seem to go for much more than I would expect on copart even though they rather bent.

·
Registered
183 Posts
If anyone can sort this Mike, it's you...
Lol, highly recommended I see. I’ve passed his details on, if they can’t work it out they will contact Mike.

You beat me to them as when I called up the guy selling them you must have been on your way to see them.
I knew when I saw them I needed to go and see them ASAP. I was actually 2nd guy there, but only just. The seller said come along you can both see them at the same time - I wasn’t exactly excited about that as I thought whoever gets there first will have them so it might be a waste of time and could be awkward, but you’ve got to have a go, eh.

As it turns out, the other guy wasn’t that familiar with EVs, he was hoping to get help from a garage near him but wanted to go home and research errors etc - he’d brought a generic diagnostics machine with him.

I basically looked over them briefly and said “yeah i’ll have them”, the other guy couldn’t believe it. Obviously we know what they are worth in parts with the batteries included, and I had confirmed the battery lease situation with RCI so I knew they really were owned.

I think the fact that i’d turned up in the i-miev and that the seller had an Outlander PHEV (which uses the technology from the i-miev) helped, had a good chat with the seller about that and EVs in general. The seller said he had a lot of interest, people offering to transfer the money and send a transporter etc.... I wasn’t surprised by that but I was there with cash so it worked out well. I’m just fortunate that I was close enough and have a boring but flexible desk job so I can keep an eye on autotrader and jump in the car at short notice.

At the moment the blue one is at a stop, I’m not searching for the final parts for it until it works so have been chasing down a couple of other broken EVs...

Cheers

·
Registered
55 Posts
If you happen to get fed up with the blue one and just want rid of it then give me a call. :)

I have a Zoe in the same blue and although it doesn't need any parts at present it having a decent car just in case would be nice. Finding some way to get rid of my lease and use that battery would also be rather nice.

Just put a deposit down on the MG ZS EV but the discovery about the lack of preheat/cool is souring that decision somewhat, I might keep the Zoe for a bit longer....especially if I can get a cheap battery ;)

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Lol, highly recommended I see. I’ve passed his details on, if they can’t work it out they will contact Mike.
I guess you haven't seen his YouTube channel? I've been a follower for quite a few years now...

This is a particular favourite of mine:

·
Registered
193 Posts
Well the mystery deepens - RCI have said that the vehicles are not charge locked so it seems like the black one has an issue which prevents charging but allows the car to drive. When I scan for errors it comes up with an inactive error of DF096 TRACTION BATTERY LOCK (among various others), which perhaps means it has been charge locked in the past but is not now??

I can only presume now that it is a technical issue with charging and not a charge lock, the fact that the car can move under its own power must help diagnose this, since charging uses most components, e.g. motor windings, etc but those must be fine.

There is an option to get some power into the battery pack to test the vehicle further - I can pretty cheaply buy a 357v dc power supply and put this across the battery. Its only 250w but would get the traction battery to about 50% (eventually) and mean that the vehicle can be fully tested. If I can't fix charging soon i'll attempt this, it may help narrow down what the issue is.

For now i'll go back to EV chap in Kent I think...
Could you have got some charge into the batteries by towing the Zoe behind another car? A bit unconventional but regent is supposed to put a lot of charge into batteries, it would be as if you were driving down a very steep long hill?

·
Registered
183 Posts
Could you have got some charge into the batteries by towing the Zoe behind another car? A bit unconventional but regent is supposed to put a lot of charge into batteries, it would be as if you were driving down a very steep long hill?
Could have but not great long term... also didn’t have an MOT at that point. This was the black car and it’s fixed now tho.

Although having been away for a week I came back to a flat 12v battery. It’s a new battery I put in for the MOT and the car was parked up locked and not on charge. Traction battery was about 50%.

Presumably a Zoe left standing is meant to last more than a week on its 12v battery? I think I’ll have to check the load on the 12v batt with it parked and locked.

Thanks.

·
Co-author of CanZE. Q210 nov 2013
4,112 Posts
No that's not right, especially with a new battery. Mine occasionally throws a hissy fit when returning from say two weeks away ("check electrical system"), which clears by itself, but not close to flat.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Hello you knowledgeable lot,

So the black car did something interesting tonight - when starting I got READY but when selecting a gear the gear letters on the dash flashed and it didn’t move. This happened a couple of times, turning off the car and starting again seemed to cure it, anyone seen that before? It is a cool evening tonight, not sure if that is significant.

Not too much has happened regarding the programming issue on the blue car, no word from Peter’s (aka the EV guy) chip bloke. I have chatted it through with @mikeselectricstuff and we have decided that I’m going to start taking the car apart to get to the circuit board inside the PEB, and send him some pictures of the chip and board, and he’ll decide if it’s best to try to fire up the circuit board on his bench or if it needs to be analysed while in the car. Fortunately he is not too far away from me so it may end up with him bringing his equipment to the car, we’ll see.

I’ve been pretty busy the last few weeks and will be for a couple more so may be a while before I can get moving on this, but we’ll get there.

Cheers all.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Right then chaps.

I had some time last night so the PEB from the blue car is on the bench. Peter the EV man said the first job is to remove the two 5-sided hex type plugs. I tried grinding a bolt down to a pentagon shape and bashing it in and turning, didn't have enough hold and just rounded the bolt.

I've looked online and can see 10mm pentagon bits and 6.3mm but these look to be around 8mm (note: that cheap gauge isn't totally accurate and neither are my fingers...).

I did undo the little torx bolts but its held together by something thats fixed in with those pentagon bolts.

I've asked Peter how he gets that apart. I might be getting a bit fed up with this car and have another EV project car arriving soon so it may get chucked on ebay at some point. If we can't fix this PEB (or I break it trying) then a new PEB is ~2k and then needs programming, plus the car needs quite a few more parts. I'm not sure I want to spend ~3k total fixing it plus all the time.

I would love to at least remove the battery if I do sell it and I have some interesting ideas of what I could do with that but i'm not sure I can be bothered, its not easy without a garage and a lift - i'm doing all the work on my drive.

Cheers

·
Registered
586 Posts
As most salvage Zoes don't have the battery I'd imagine the battery on its own has significant value. I'll give you some cash for the PEB in any condition for curiosity value if nothing else, though I'd like to seriously investigate the VIN programming - having a unit that I don't care if I destroy in the process would be handy!

·
Co-author of CanZE. Q210 nov 2013
4,112 Posts
Can't help you but I do have a few pics of it's guts. The "box" is a capacitor bank. There is a lot of electronics inside.

Is the BCB still intact? If so and you decide to sell it in parts, let me know.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Hi guys,

Interesting thoughts Mike, it would be a shame if we didn’t manage to get you to analyse the PEB. We might destroy it in the process but it would be for the greater good of Zoe repair if you can crack the VIN coding.

The battery definitely has value, I had the idea of buying a battery lease Zoe and giving the battery back to Renault, mainly for the pleasure of telling them that I don’t want a lease thanks very much, makes a cheap battery owned Zoe. I actually chatted to RCI about giving a battery back to end the lease, they said if you do it at end of contract (ie renewal time) by arrangement with a Renault garage then it’s free, otherwise if you do it mid contract they charge you for removal and shipping of the battery to France, it’s about £2.5k. Shame minimum contract is 12 months. Anyone want to pay me to give this battery to Renault and tell them it’s from your Zoe? 😁

The BCB is here, I had to get it out to get to the PEB. It’s heavy!!!

I don’t overly want the driveway turning in to a scrapyard (well, any more than it is already!!), I guess I’ll see if I can get into this PEB and take it from there. The car doesn’t owe me anything really but I’d rather not ruin something of value.

Cheers.

141 - 160 of 191 Posts
About this Discussion
190 Replies
32 Participants
mikeselectricstuff
Speak EV - Electric Car Forums
A community for enthusiasts of all makes and models of EV from BMW to Tesla, Renault, Nissan, Mitsubishi and more. Join the electrifying discussion today!
Full Forum Listing