Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 627 Posts

·
Registered
2,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thinking aloud here, but is it worth having one thread in this section where people could post what deals they got on their EV's and where from?
I don't want to upset sponsors and such but if we have a central place to compare it would help people out...

I'm thinking something like this.

BMW
i3
£2500 deposit 35*£420 GFV £17000 Williams BMW Wilmslow(8000miles PA, black, no options)

Nissan
Leaf 40kwh Tekna
£1800 deposit 35*£360 GFV £9000 Westway Oldham(9000miles PA, white, no options)

As above really, people can post and then the thread starter adds the details into the first post in the thread.
All the details above would be needed as then what I'm thinking is a total life cost of each offer and also including offers that are cash purchase as well in a section of its own in the post.

Does this sound like something reasonable?

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
I'd say no because you'd end up with a very long thread only the last few / most recent posts had any relevance, the others being out of date, even a post from this week might be out of date, eg just one car at this price or whatever. And the deal might not cover the exact model you want anyway.
And then, let's say you are looking for a good deal on an i3. You'd be looking randomly in that thread amongst all the other makes and models that are irrelevant to you . Why not ask on the BMW forum, or post in the for sale/ wanted forum or ask on one of the quote websites like drive the deal or Car wow.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I used the piston heads lease deals thread to find the deal on my Merc B250e for 9+23 @ £130.

If I understand your proposition here, it’s a great idea. Not just to include your own deal but simply ANY deal that you come across that someone could make use of? But I guess it works best with the nationwide lease deals.

But no need to add to first post, simply add a new post with your findings. If the deals good, it’ll be gone in a day or two anyway. Doesn’t matter how long the thread is, could be 100 pages long, you just need to check the last few posts or couple of pages. In fact when I picked up my EV in 2016, I didn’t even know what I wanted for definite, but the price got my attention and after some research I went for it.

·
Registered
2,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's the thing, if it's just added to a thread it could disappear and then end up no longer available. If the top post is updated as things change or very quickly then it will be easier for new and current members to look and just see which deals are on at the minute

·
Registered
41 Posts
How would it disappear if it’s added to a thread? Posts are displayed chronologically so it’s up to you to check back. If you go back too far and ring and it’s gone well then move on! Some deals are gone within a day so it would be hard for the first post to be amended in time. The PHs thread works perfectly well, except it’s not tailored for EVs.

Anyhow I’m not in the market for a car.

·
Registered
2,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Because if one day a lot of deals are posted they can disappear into the thread. How often do people read just a few pages back?

I'm just thinking it wouldn't be too hard to curate and keep on the front page and that way maybe a sticky as well

·
Registered
41 Posts
Because if one day a lot of deals are posted they can disappear into the thread. How often do people read just a few pages back?

I'm just thinking it wouldn't be too hard to curate and keep on the front page and that way maybe a sticky as well
When I click on a thread it goes to the last read post usually, so you wouldn’t actually have to look back?

I think we will have to agree to disagree. This thread is on its 2602nd page :)

Best Lease Car Deals Available? (Vol 6) - Page 1 - Car Buying - PistonHeads

·
Registered
2,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
And my point I think is proven looking at that thread. There's loads of discussion in it and searching for something you'd like is a ballache. If it's all on the front page then surely it's easier to find and as we are talking phev and bev the amount of offers will be a lot less...

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
When I click on a thread it goes to the last read post usually, so you wouldn’t actually have to look back?

I think we will have to agree to disagree. This thread is on its 2602nd page :)

Best Lease Car Deals Available? (Vol 6) - Page 1 - Car Buying - PistonHeads
Looking at at that thread, what a mess. Loads of posts with no context so people searching for a particular car cant see that a discussion about "I went to dealer X and they offered me Y" is about the car you want, it could be about anything in half the cases.

If this was to work, IMO a better way would be a dedicated forum only for "best deals" and then each new thread which would be on one car only, would have a title.

Though AFAICS this sort of happens anyway here, people will post in the forum for that car, lets say the VW forum asking "where can i get the best deal on a Golf GTE?" or whatever. Makes it much easier to find what you want, or ask what you want, you dont have to sort through a bunch of irrelevant posts on models you arent interested in and if you ask a question about a car it doesn't get buried among posts about other makes and models so someone who does know where the best deal for a GTE is, sees the headline, rather than expecting them to read page 2602 on a thread.

And there's also the "classified" forum here in which you can post now.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Having someone update the first post in theory is better, but maintaining it will consume hours of time, and keeping on track of what deals have expired isnt easy.

Checking the last few posts on the PH thread requires no maintainer, and puts the time onto the person actually looking for a car.

I guess it works there as people check the thread regularly and "keep up" with the chat.

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
Having someone update the first post in theory is better, but maintaining it will consume hours of time, and keeping on track of what deals have expired isnt easy.

Checking the last few posts on the PH thread requires no maintainer, and puts the time onto the person actually looking for a car.

I guess it works there as people check the thread regularly and "keep up" with the chat.
It also needs people to post deals for each car, either proactively, or by reading the thread frequently and responding to requests for the cars they know about (whilst avoiding all the other brands they don't know about)

If you look in the classifieds section here, there are already people posting deals on cars, albeit usually s/h, all you'd need is them to post deals on new cars. The posts are very clear since each has a subject line.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I believe a good deal thread focused on EV's following a similar format to the pistonheads one is an excellent idea. What tends to happen now is you have to trawl through each models specific thread. For example I discovered there are aggressive deals on the Kia Soul purely due to a chance visit to the car's thread. The BMW 225XE can currently be had for £229 on 1+17, but where would you inform others members, who are not closely following the BMW thread? The Pistonheads lease thread is basically full of chat about the best colour for a 300bhp petrol SEAT. It does have occasional EV nuggets. I found my B250e and 225XE through posts on Pistonheads

·
Registered
41 Posts
I also found my Volvo lease on there and there are 100s of other folks who have found great deals on there. It’s a simple system - add a link to your post. If the link in someone else’s post doesn’t work you’ve probably missed that deal. If it does work ring about it, then update the thread accordingly.

I think the crux of the matter here is if you are genuinely after a deal and prepared to follow the thread for a few days or weeks, and have the conviction (or maybe in some cases the wife’s permission :p ) to lift the phone immediately then it’s a great thread.

But if you are just after a bit of tyre kicking then I can see why you don’t ‘get’ it.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Looking at at that thread, what a mess. Loads of posts with no context so people searching for a particular car cant see that a discussion about "I went to dealer X and they offered me Y" is about the car you want, it could be about anything in half the cases.

If this was to work, IMO a better way would be a dedicated forum only for "best deals" and then each new thread which would be on one car only, would have a title.

Though AFAICS this sort of happens anyway here, people will post in the forum for that car, lets say the VW forum asking "where can i get the best deal on a Golf GTE?" or whatever. Makes it much easier to find what you want, or ask what you want, you dont have to sort through a bunch of irrelevant posts on models you arent interested in and if you ask a question about a car it doesn't get buried among posts about other makes and models so someone who does know where the best deal for a GTE is, sees the headline, rather than expecting them to read page 2602 on a thread.

And there's also the "classified" forum here in which you can post now.
Joe

It’s actually split into its six volume now, on page 102, but that’s besides the point.

You don’t get it. I get that. It’s not going to suit everyone. But how you fail to see it’s the simplest way to do it? Anything else requires lots of user input and checking multiple threads. Have the ‘deals’ thread stickied on top of the forum.

Moderate the thread/prevent chitchat/minimal questions about cars on the thread - do your research elsewhere.

Deals expire sometimes the same day. It’s got to be in one thread IMO.

My views are clear on this lol :D:ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
86 Posts
I used the piston heads lease deals thread to find the deal on my Merc B250e
Yep, and I used that thread to find the deal for my GTE.

Saying it's a mess just because it has a lot of posts is missing the point. It's a very useful place to look for the very best deals (which often don't hang around for long).

·
Registered
41 Posts
Yep, and I used that thread to find the deal for my GTE.

Saying it's a mess just because it has a lot of posts is missing the point. It's a very useful place to look for the very best deals (which often don't hang around for long).
And recently I picked up a V90 D5 lease there for £300 for 8000k 1+17. There were only 10 vehicles and were gone within a day. I would never have found this deal otherwise.

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
Joe

It’s actually split into its six volume now, on page 102, but that’s besides the point.

You don’t get it. I get that. It’s not going to suit everyone. But how you fail to see it’s the simplest way to do it? Anything else requires lots of user input and checking multiple threads. Have the ‘deals’ thread stickied on top of the forum.

Moderate the thread/prevent chitchat/minimal questions about cars on the thread - do your research elsewhere.

Deals expire sometimes the same day. It’s got to be in one thread IMO.

My views are clear on this lol :D:ROFLMAO:
-How is it "lots of user input" to title your post ????
-Why do you need to check multiple threads if each one is titled with the make or model ? You'd only need to check the ones relevant to you, rather than read through say the last 2 weeks worth of posts in case one applied to you.
- If deals expire the same day, what's better, a thread titled "i3 fantastic deal applies today Mon 22nd Aug" or post 2,463 which mentions in the body text the same deal ?

The fact that the piston heads thread is going strong doesn't mean it can't be improved. :D

·
Registered
41 Posts
-How is it "lots of user input" to title your post ????
-Why do you need to check multiple threads if each one is titled with the make or model ? You'd only need to check the ones relevant to you, rather than read through say the last 2 weeks worth of posts in case one applied to you.
- If deals expire the same day, what's better, a thread titled "i3 fantastic deal applies today Mon 22nd Aug" or post 2,463 which mentions in the body text the same deal ?

The fact that the piston heads thread is going strong doesn't mean it can't be improved. :D
You surely must be trolling :confused:

It’s not like you click on a thread and you have to go through 200 pages each time in the hope you spot this elusive post. When you open the thread it goes to your last viewed. You can then review all updated posts since last visit. You start looking at today’s posts and move forwards. You check it several times during the day in the hope a deal pops up.

·
Registered
174 Posts
We could just start a thread for cheap deals. If it is popular and populated with deals then it should remain near the top of the General EV forum. If not it will wither and die. I'll start here:

Jaguar I-Pace 18 month PCH 9 months deposit + 17 months 5000 miles £344.22 at V4B

1 - 20 of 627 Posts