Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

861 - 880 of 909 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Nissan Leaf 40kWh Tekna - love it
796 Posts
The deal, as advertised, was for 5000 miles. I just got a quote of £270 for a 2yr lease 6 mths deposit and 10k miles. Works out at £340 a month over the two years. I suspect the price advertised was for a solid white, which they no longer have. These are cars they have "in stock" and they now have only met black or gunmetal grey.

·
Registered
796 Posts
This is ~£2,000 more expensive than the Ioniq deal over 2 years, and I'd have paid more for an Ioniq than a Leaf.
I wouldn't pay more for a 38kWh over a 60kWh. Seems an odd point of view but I guess we'd all be driving the same car if there were no personal foibles when it comes to buying cars.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Ive never actually sat in a Leaf or a Ioniq but the Ioniq does seem smaller from the pictures. My wife will be the main driver of the car and she prefers the Leaf over the Ioniq and i prefer the slightly increase range of the Leaf.

·
Registered
3,777 Posts
The Ioniq is very low, that's why it's so efficient. I found it hard to get in and out of but you might be okay.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The Ioniq is very low, that's why it's so efficient. I found it hard to get in and out of but you might be okay.
Thats actually one of the reasons we're getting rid of the 3series, its too low. Me and wife are both tall with bad backs, getting in and out is becoming a right pain!
Thanks for making me aware!

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
I wouldn't pay more for a 38kWh over a 60kWh. Seems an odd point of view but I guess we'd all be driving the same car if there were no personal foibles when it comes to buying cars.
You are right, it would be sad to all drive the same car. For the 38kWh Ioniq Vs 60kWh Leaf, you may find that the real range is extremely close from what people report.

When you are crunching the numbers, check what the additional mileage is for the gap as sometimes it can work out cheaper to pay 5000 miles and cover the difference in excess fees. Someone here has highlighted that with lockdowns, this maybe a good approach as you are not paying for unused miles.

I can't see a much better deal than the one you are looking at, but it is very good still. It is bang on 25% of the on the road cost, which is the measure of a great deal at 10K p.a. over 2 years. It is also the lowest cost on Leaseloco (probably since launch; 60kWh NC+):

Reactions: booms

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
To sum up, the ioniq is exceptionally efficient, the Leaf is just OK so the range difference between the two 38KWh and 60KWh cars is much smaller than you think. I usually got over 190 miles out of the Ioniq in the summer and on medium/long journeys within range you can get away with driving much faster in the Ioniq than the Leaf due to its slippery shape. If you do have to stop to charge though the Ioniq is comparatively slow due to its lower voltage battery pack, mine typically only charges mid twenties KW per hour on a CCS charger.
The Ioniq is better put together and has a much better infotainment system, but feels slower and borders on dull (but very easy and comfortable) to drive, the Leaf feels like (and is despite the facelift) an older car, but it is also significantly more responsive and faster to accelerate.

When I got my top spec Ioniq it worked out cheaper than 40KWh Leaf Accenta so it was an easy decision, if I could have gotten a 60KWh Leaf for the same or less money it would have been more difficult to choose.

Its very much a case of horses for courses, I was happy with a 24KWh Leaf and am delighted with the Ioniq.

·
Registered
553 Posts
To sum up, the ioniq is exceptionally efficient, the Leaf is just OK so the range difference between the two 38KWh and 60KWh cars is much smaller than you think. I usually got over 190 miles out of the Ioniq in the summer and on medium/long journeys within range you can get away with driving much faster in the Ioniq than the Leaf due to its slippery shape. If you do have to stop to charge though the Ioniq is comparatively slow due to its lower voltage battery pack, mine typically only charges mid twenties KW per hour on a CCS charger.
The Ioniq is better put together and has a much better infotainment system, but feels slower and borders on dull (but very easy and comfortable) to drive, the Leaf feels like (and is despite the facelift) an older car, but it is also significantly more responsive and faster to accelerate.

When I got my top spec Ioniq it worked out cheaper than 40KWh Leaf Accenta so it was an easy decision, if I could have gotten a 60KWh Leaf for the same or less money it would have been more difficult to choose.

Its very much a case of horses for courses, I was happy with a 24KWh Leaf and am delighted with the Ioniq.
I think a good summary is the Ioniq suffers far less with small increments in speed and so needs less compromises to avoid large swings in real range.

·
Registered
63 Posts
To sum up, the ioniq is exceptionally efficient, the Leaf is just OK so the range difference between the two 38KWh and 60KWh cars is much smaller than you think.
Just out of interest, are you using the car indicated efficiency and range or measuring the KWh put in to the car at source?

I have found that charging losses and preheating massively effect the true cost 'at the pump'. As such, I am not relying on the in car figures at all to make any future purchase decisions.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Not sure if that's been posted here but it seems to be even better deal on Nissan Leaf 110kW Acenta 40kWh:
1+35 £214.14 for 5000 miles pa (no broker fees):

I suppose some must do it but I wouldn’t pay that per month for less than 100 miles a week. Over 50p a mile before insurance and servicing and electricity. A pure indulgence as Uber-ing around would be much cheaper.

We are all free to spend as we see fit though, fortunately.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
I suppose some must do it but I wouldn’t pay that per month for less than 100 miles a week. Over 50p a mile before insurance and servicing and electricity. A pure indulgence as Uber-ing around would be much cheaper.

We are all free to spend as we see fit though, fortunately.
Yes, but this price is the headline grabber. It about finding out how much the additional mileage is and then calculating the cost. Paying for 10K miles p.a. from the same deal is 29p per mile across the lease, which is not bad at all. I don't think that many people only do the base mileage, but at the moment paying for low mileage and then only paying for additional miles is a good way to go with waves of pandemics as not many of us can predict how many miles we will do.

Saying all of this, it does annoy me that 5K miles has become the new norm in terms of promoting lease deals, it artificially makes the price look very low.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Yes, but this price is the headline grabber. It about finding out how much the additional mileage is and then calculating the cost. Paying for 10K miles p.a. from the same deal is 29p per mile across the lease, which is not bad at all. I don't think that many people only do the base mileage, but at the moment paying for low mileage and then only paying for additional miles is a good way to go with waves of pandemics as not many of us can predict how many miles we will do.

Saying all of this, it does annoy me that 5K miles has become the new norm in terms of promoting lease deals, it artificially makes the price look very low.
I was commenting on the deal posted, not a different one obtained by changing the terms.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Exactly, but you can still add any additional mileage on at the additional mileage cost quoted in the offer and this would bring the cost per mile down.

·
Registered
410 Posts

A lot of people are doing bugger all miles right now and have been for nearly a year, so it kinda makes sense in context. I paid for 12.5k miles per year and am on target to do 2k miles in the first year. o_O

·
Registered
Seat Mii Electric
13 Posts
Obviously every lease deal can be adjusted (different initial payment, lease term, mileage pa etc) so the link I posted was for info only as each of us would do his/hers own choice.

I have ordered Mii Electric for my wife with 8k pa. Looks like she's doing more than that as of now (she's CW) but under current circumstances we wouldn't know. Excess mileage for Mii is only 6p per mile so I prefer to pay it at the end of the lease than paying upfront for mileage I she wouldn't be able to clock.

Talking about that my work teammate ordered Ioniq with 20k miles pa at the beginning of 2020. Car has been delivered in April just after we went into lockdown and started working from home which we have been doing since. He did not listen to my advice: go with lower miles contracted and pay excess at the end...

·
Registered
410 Posts
Obviously every lease deal can be adjusted (different initial payment, lease term, mileage pa etc) so the link I posted was for info only as each of us would do his/hers own choice.

I have ordered Mii Electric for my wife with 8k pa. Looks like she's doing more than that as of now (she's CW) but under current circumstances we wouldn't know. Excess mileage for Mii is only 6p per mile so I prefer to pay it at the end of the lease than paying upfront for mileage I she wouldn't be able to clock.

Talking about that my work teammate ordered Ioniq with 20k miles pa at the beginning of 2020. Car has been delivered in April just after we went into lockdown and started working from home which we have been doing since. He did not listen to my advice: go with lower miles contracted and pay excess at the end...
To be fair, it does depend on the deal he got. Although I'm gonna be nowhere near the miles I paid for at the end, I'm still paying less for an e-Niro '4' trim than I would pay for an e-Niro '2' trim with 5000 mi/yr right now.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I paid for 12.5k miles per year and am on target to do 2k miles in the first year.
Bu66er! Or as TeslaBjorn would say..'Sheeeeeeeet!'.
Seriously though, I think many should consider this strategy for PCH/PCP given the way the world is at the moment.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Bu66er! Or as TeslaBjorn would say..'Sheeeeeeeet!'.
Seriously though, I think many should consider this strategy for PCH/PCP given the way the world is at the moment.
I think the best deals are the ones that are cheap for lowish committed miles but with non-predatory pence per excess mile. Whatever happens next isn’t what we predict.

861 - 880 of 909 Posts