Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

941 - 960 of 1048 Posts

·
Well-Loved Member
1,059 Posts
Our first EV was a MB B Class 250-e, the price was so low that with fuel and service savings etc, it was virtually free. Ahh the heady days of the past, I am sure they won't return.
My co. paid around £180/month excl. VAT 6+24 for the B as a pool car. Which despite its flaws and 50-odd mile winter range I still miss.

For reasons never discovered, MB adamant they would not sell the car to us, nor would they extend the lease. We did try.

Can see ID.3 58kWh Life around £260-280 excl. VAT 6+24 currently which makes it seem similar to the B250e (i.e. smells short term promotional).

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #942
My co. paid around £180/month excl. VAT 6+24 for the B as a pool car. Which despite its flaws and 50-odd mile winter range I still miss.

For reasons never discovered, MB adamant they would not sell the car to us, nor would they extend the lease. We did try.

Can see ID.3 58kWh Life around £260-280 excl. VAT 6+24 currently which makes it seem similar to the B250e (i.e. smells short term promotional).
It was likely because they retained value so well. Used ones are much more realistically priced but still need to come down a bit imo. Now that chademo can be adapted they are even better buys.

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
It was likely because they retained value so well. Used ones are much more realistically priced but still need to come down a bit imo. Now that chademo can be adapted they are even better buys.
Sadly the chadamo project died a death

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
6,255 Posts
So maybe the exact opposite - MB probably want to get them back and scrap them as the parts (unique from Tesla) are stupidly expensive for them to provide under warranty.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts

MB wouldn't sell to me either, but it went to auction and was bought by a MB dealer. We found out that it was something to do with MB Finance and MB Cars (two different entities), they were making a massive loss and selling at auction meant that the loss transferred to another part of the company (something like that). Very strange.

Whilst we enjoyed the car, I don't think it is one to own. 3 year warranty, nearly £1000/p.a. to extend the warranty and if anything goes wrong, it costs a fortune and you wait for parts from the US.

And yes, Winter range was pretty poor, we were at about 70 miles with the extended range.

·
Well-Loved Member
1,059 Posts
You're right of course. The B is really not a car to own — and was in fact one of only two cars to have left me stranded at the roadside in 35 years. Green Flag aside it was a total cinch to own and run and ticked all the EV boxes. The fun factor set a high bar for any replacement and I find myself unwilling to pay more per month: a two hundred quid budget sounds like an unreasonable ask, but given almost every electric car USP is (sshh! don't tell anyone) common to all of them, to my eyes that gratifyingly cheap-ass Mii looks as tempting as any other.

Source SEAT Mii Hatchback

Interesting what you say about MB. We were left scratching our heads, particularly as they did precisely the same thing with my co-director's E350e PiH: no, we couldn't buy it, no, we couldn't extend it. It was always assumed that because these were first gen cars they would be shipped back to someone German in small round glasses and a lab coat who would dutifully take them apart and see what had worn out. But the fact your car headed straight to auction says otherwise.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Killer deal alert: Not sure if this is legit, but never seen this low. If you are interested, I would grab it quick. Average cost per month for 10K miles per year is £237 for a Hyundai Ioniq 38kWh. Literally so low, hard to believe:

·
Registered
83 Posts
Killer deal alert: Not sure if this is legit, but never seen this low. If you are interested, I would grab it quick. Average cost per month for 10K miles per year is £237 for a Hyundai Ioniq 38kWh. Literally so low, hard to believe:

I got exactly that deal from a different company last week (but hopefully on a stock car rather than a factory order - the order's gone through but I'm still waiting for the finance documentation). I was faffing about trying to decide between the ID.3, the Kona and the Ioniq. That deal made the decision for me.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
I got exactly that deal from a different company last week (but hopefully on a stock car rather than a factory order - the order's gone through but I'm still waiting for the finance documentation). I was faffing about trying to decide between the ID.3, the Kona and the Ioniq. That deal made the decision for me.
I agree, you spend lots of time deciding on a car and then a deal like this drops and decision over. Deal is already gone, sometimes very limited in number, but it was off the scale. Still very good deals around which are incredible working out at less than 20% of the P11D for 10K p.a. over 2 years, 25% is a very good deal, so this is still incredible.

Hope yours comes through. I never thought I would see one at this price, pretty much unheard of.

·
Well-Loved Member
1,059 Posts
Think the way this deal surfaced and sank without trace inside 24 hours shows how book values mean nothing when someone needs to shift cars.

Incidentally @Panda your description of researching choices endlessly and in spreadsheet levels of detail did make me chuckle. When presented with the delicious aroma of a fantastically cheap deal, whatever complex set of rules you were working to immediately go in the bin :)

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Think the way this deal surfaced and sank without trace inside 24 hours shows how book values mean nothing when someone needs to shift cars.

Incidentally @Panda your description of researching choices endlessly and in spreadsheet levels of detail did make me chuckle. When presented with the delicious aroma of a fantastically cheap deal, whatever complex set of rules you were working to immediately go in the bin :)

View attachment 140716
Nice quote. You are right 'the delicious aroma of a fantastically cheap deal'.

With my first EV I spent months getting quotes, test driving, analysing spreedsheets and then there was a sniff of a special MB250e deal. I rang the dealer, who said they had 1 car left and nearly 20 emails about it, but I was the first one who actually called. I had less than a working day to agree and sign everything as they had to shift it on the last day of September. The 'aroma' was a fully loaded MB250e at £164 (inc VAT) on a 9+23. Less than £220/month in total inc VAT across the 2 years. Spreadsheet and all other choices went straight in the bin.

Since then, I have learned that if a 'real' brilliant deal is on the table, don't mess around, as they are gone before you know it. Lots of lease deals have a threshold number of cars and we have since had some other great deals. That's why I like this thread and I am really happy to se members get some value. It will be my time again in the future as well.

·
Registered
466 Posts
New ID.3 Pro model is out... any idea whether it'll reflect lower lease prices? Currently priced higher than Pro Performance models

·
Registered
359 Posts

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #960
Sadly the chadamo project died a death

Man that's pants! Guess they got wind that MB were buying them all back when they could.

Maybe a nice project for Muxsan to stick in the pipeline, a CCS conversion for one?

941 - 960 of 1048 Posts