Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1281 - 1300 of 1344 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Could you get a quote to extend the lease for 6 months when you get closer to give you some breathing space?
Not a bad shout actually, we did that twice with the wife's car due to lockdowns and with 2 year service intervals (plus low mileage) there should be no additional costs. I'll see where the ground lies late August!

·
Registered
555 Posts
Could you get a quote to extend the lease for 6 months when you get closer to give you some breathing space?
If it’s through Alphabet/BMW Financial Services, they don’t really do extensions. They give a new short term contract with exorbitant payments.

At least that’s what happened when I tried to extend the wife’s first i3 in 2018 for the same reason.....so I bought it instead. She ran it for another 12 months and 10k miles and I sold it for £2k more than I paid for it.

Not sure if this still works. At the time it cost us £9,500 over 2 years for an i3 94Ah Rex with Suite leather interior and a retail tag of £40k.

Those heady days of properly cheap leases and free charging 🙄

·
Registered
eNiro 64kWh 2021. Ioniq 38kWh 2020.
1,115 Posts
The MG just isn't a good deal on PCH, it is a much better deal to buy outright, or nearly new. You can pick up a 2020 (69 plated) Exclusive for ~£18k on AT, spending nearly over £10.5k over 3 years makes it a bad financial decision (even factoring APR % on the full car), as you can be pretty much sure you'll lose less on buying, and have no mileage restrictions/calculations.
Yes, I agree with this. On lease, I expect that they don't look keen due to higher expected depreciation. Buying outright there are some good deals and dealer incentives and you have the 7 year warranty I suppose.

·
Registered
108 Posts
If it’s through Alphabet/BMW Financial Services, they don’t really do extensions. They give a new short term contract with exorbitant payments.

At least that’s what happened when I tried to extend the wife’s first i3 in 2018 for the same reason.....so I bought it instead. She ran it for another 12 months and 10k miles and I sold it for £2k more than I paid for it.

Not sure if this still works. At the time it cost us £9,500 over 2 years for an i3 94Ah Rex with Suite leather interior and a retail tag of £40k.

It is indeed! Sounds about right, the wife's previous car was with Nationwide Vehicle Contracts and they were great with extensions, in the end extended due to unknown recalls not having been done and they just said keep it until we don't need it up to 6 months and they'll bill ad-hoc when we're done.

Some info for anyone leasing from Nationwide which may be handy - Had a good chat with the inspection guy (from Manheim) and he told me repairs are billed per panel, how strict he is depends on who he's working for but that Nationwide are on the more lenient side. In terms of cost they charge £60 per panel for dents and £75 per panel for scratch repairs (smart repair so probably not deep ones) and often they won't even charge if it's not bad (or you argue it). This may save people a LOT of money on their returns if they know it's likely it would cost far more to fix themselves than send back damaged!

·
Registered
555 Posts
Ooh dear. The fact that when I found it this thread was 3 pages back and 20 days without a post tells a story about the state of things at the mo.

·
Registered
4,701 Posts
I know, I keep refreshing the Honda e pages... Here's one for you though.

Vauxhall Mokka-e 50kWh SE Nav

2 years, 15k miles, £300 down, £307/month. You can reduce the mileage to 10k but it only takes off about £2/month!

P11D is £33,785 and total cost is £7,678 so I make that 22.7%.

I was very surprised by that on a 2 year deal. Maybe some kind of introductory offer.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Ooh dear. The fact that when I found it this thread was 3 pages back and 20 days without a post tells a story about the state of things at the mo.
At this rate I'm just going to buy a used ICE car when I need to renew my lease in November! Always set my lease self-imposed limit around £8k over 2 years for ICE and £10k for EV's (because of fuel savings), with the new offerings coming this year was prepared to go up a little but it's looking nearer £15k for the Hyundai/Kia options and I can't go backwards to a Zoe (as nice as they are)... 😑 The UK government have really hampered the EV market when many other govs are offering so much more which will keep prices high.

·
Registered
2020 VW ID3 Life 58kWh
517 Posts
At this rate I'm just going to buy a used ICE car when I need to renew my lease in November! Always set my lease self-imposed limit around £8k over 2 years for ICE and £10k for EV's (because of fuel savings), with the new offerings coming this year was prepared to go up a little but it's looking nearer £15k for the Hyundai/Kia options and I can't go backwards to a Zoe (as nice as they are)... 😑 The UK government have really hampered the EV market when many other govs are offering so much more which will keep prices high.
Rei's deal above looks like it beats even your ICE lease limit, they have Ioniqs and Konas for under £8k over 2 years as well

·
Registered
108 Posts
Rei's deal above looks like it beats even your ICE lease limit, they have Ioniqs and Konas for under £8k over 2 years as well
Oh yes, there are certainly some deals around but I should have clarified really - Personally I never like to downgrade if possible and currently have an i3 so any of the Vauxhall/Peugeot/Renault batch are pretty much in the same ballpark but not as nice inside, a little slower but with a little longer range (the Zoe being the only one noticeably so). The wife has an e-Niro which is great aside from the exterior looks which are a little last gen EV really, the front wheel drive isn't great in British weather with the torque on offer if you want to use it though! Was really looking forward to the Ioniq 5 or EV6 but they've been priced out of my market with the grant changes.

The most likely option I think is going to be the ID3 when I'm looking (the Cupra alternative nice but likely too expensive and not available until 2022), there will probably be deals around at that point, just a shame they didn't make it Golf quality and removed physical buttons everywhere, so much cost-cutting on it, the mk2 will likely be great. The Kona may be an option, not that keen on the look and like the e-Niro the better trim level gets expensive, at least they have one with the big battery at a decent price though.

The offers out now have been the same for the last month or so, the market very flat - this looks to be the year that EV's really start to move forwards with dedicated platforms giving more of the benefits, just unlikely many of those will be at affordable prices for many. The things I'm looking for are certainly not the same for everyone but I already pay a fair amount more for the i3 than I did for a Volvo S90 previously which is far more car in many respects, the thought of paying even more for something pretty low-rent aside from the running gear just irks a bit when you see what's available for similar money on the ICE side. My personal thoughts and issues really, the government grant was definitely helping people like me make the change and it's a backwards step to lower it if they're trying to convince us all to change!

·
Registered
VW eGolf
332 Posts
Lots of the same old Ioniq and Leaf lease deals, they’re good value if you’re after one and leasing fits your usage.

Saw this for the Soul, it’s cheaper than I’ve seen on the lease comparison sites. £199.91 pm, 12 months initial (£2,398.90) - 3 years, 6k pa. £9,395.75 overall.

They seem keen to move Souls now, price cut to get under the grant, £1000 deposit contribution and 2.9% finance. I did a quote on carwow and there’s a bit more discount to be had too.

·
Registered
VW eGolf
332 Posts
This seems good for Corsa E too. PCP deal at £299 down, then £209.94 for SE Nav, £259.97 for Elite over 4 years.

Or if you have the cash, plenty of dealer demos getting sold off now, some under £20k. These get an 8 year warranty so cheap motoring if you keep it a while.

·
Premium Member
492 Posts

I had the same experience with Alphabet (they wanted about £55 more a month to extend my i3 lease by a couple of years so I gave it back). They also wanted more than I expected to buy it out or I would have seriously considered it. In the end I was very lucky the id3 lease deal popped up at exactly the right moment!

·
EVEZY code d55d6 *** Try my car cost calculator
'19 i3 120Ah / '20 Kona 64kWh / '21 e208
3,246 Posts
not as nice inside
I had an i3 for 2 year and currently have the e208. The Peugeot’s interior is really very nice - very different in style to the i3 but very nice. Some iffy quality here and there, but overall it’s good (far nicer overall than the Kona I had). So I wouldn’t necessarily write off the PSA cars on this point. They also can theoretically complete long trips much faster than the i3 can - provided there are 100kW+ chargers.

·
Registered
Kia Optima SW PHEV
35 Posts
Saw this for the Soul, it’s cheaper than I’ve seen on the lease comparison sites. £199.91 pm, 12 months initial (£2,398.90) - 3 years, 6k pa. £9,395.75 overall.

They seem keen to move Souls now, price cut to get under the grant, £1000 deposit contribution and 2.9% finance. I did a quote on carwow and there’s a bit more discount to be had too.
That's only about £1k overall more than we paid over 3 years for our last Soul EV when DriveElectric seemed to be giving them away. Very good deal imo given the higher spec and bigger battery. Would be sorely tempted as we're down to 1 car since the Soul went back, but Mrs Z is still job hunting so I should probably be sensible and wait until we have 2 paycheques coming in again.

·
Registered
108 Posts
This was the best Honda e deal I could find when I was looking a few weeks back:

£1770 deposit
£295
24 months, 5k
8ppm excess

https://www.hendy.co.uk/honda/offers/new-car/honda-e/offer-details-33/

That was for solid paint, metallic is £550.

Test drove the vehicle - it was very (very) nice, but ultimately decided to go for something larger.
Couldn't get the link to work but the main offers page here - New & Used Honda Cars - Browse Online With Hendy Honda

I feel much like the Mazda MX-30 I'd really like to have had those cars as options but the ranges just too short, I get they they're "city" cars but most people need to make a few longer trips a year and then it all falls apart. If the infrastucture was far better (as it likely is in Japan) it would be less of an issue but much of the world, including UK still not quite there. The Honda-e was the first of the really interesting and cool EV's, if only they could have squeezed another 50 miles out of it I'm sure they'd have had huge demand rather than being a "quirky" choice.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Couldn't get the link to work but the main offers page here - New & Used Honda Cars - Browse Online With Hendy Honda

I feel much like the Mazda MX-30 I'd really like to have had those cars as options but the ranges just too short, I get they they're "city" cars but most people need to make a few longer trips a year and then it all falls apart. If the infrastucture was far better (as it likely is in Japan) it would be less of an issue but much of the world, including UK still not quite there. The Honda-e was the first of the really interesting and cool EV's, if only they could have squeezed another 50 miles out of it I'm sure they'd have had huge demand rather than being a "quirky" choice.
Thanks - I've edited the link, not sure what happened there!

Yes, agreed. For me it only would have worked as a second car. Saying that, I was super impressed with it. I also considered buying outright. Some of the prices on the Honda used website seemed reasonable, with a few under £24k

·
Registered
108 Posts
Thanks - I've edited the link, not sure what happened there!

Yes, agreed. For me it only would have worked as a second car. Saying that, I was super impressed with it. I also considered buying outright. Some of the prices on the Honda used website seemed reasonable, with a few under £24k
Yeah, you reminded me to give it a look as there's so much I like about it but seeing a long term test where they say real world range is often under 100 miles just kills it for me sadly! Does seem the most interesting EV on the market at the mo for those the distance isn't an issue for though, the grant changes may well give it a little boost over the competition too.

1281 - 1300 of 1344 Posts