1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
78 Posts
Stating the obvious but they're going to increase drag massively and reduce range accordingly. I had some on my last ICE - and when on they whistled as the wind scraped past them.

Thule ones are more aerodynamic - but it's still drag.

So if getting make sure they are easy to get on and take off - then you won't be tempted to leave them on when not using them... :)

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Stating the obvious but they're going to increase drag massively and reduce range accordingly. I had some on my last ICE - and when on they whistled as the wind scraped past them.

Thule ones are more aerodynamic - but it's still drag.

So if getting make sure they are easy to get on and take off - then you won't be tempted to leave them on when not using them... :)
Yeah I know range is going to go down the pan, but my journey's will only be relatively local. They'll come off once the camping trips are done with so it's not big deal having to cope for a few days with reduced range.
Hoping someone can advise me about the specific roof bars mentioned as they seem great value for money.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Thule are usually the best. Buy used off EBay - people use them new once and then sell them. I've seen a pic on PlugShare of a man withe two small boxes on a Leaf Charging at a Nissan garage in north Belgium and he was on his way to UK.
I believe they cause very little reduction in range. I have a Golf and rails with a box caused no drop in mpg.

·
Registered
758 Posts
The ones listed by the OP look 95% the same as the Thule items i had 5-6 years ago - very similar foot shapes, very similar bar design and the end caps are almost the same. As yes, they whistled at any speed above 55mph.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How do you even fit these, do you have to remove the black strip down each side of the roof ?
They are supposed to clamp round the frame and fit into the door seals.
UPDATE - I've ended up purchasing the Thule roof bars and feet designed for the Leaf. £160 at my local Wilco Moto Save. Special order which I pick up tomorrow.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Handy tip: put a little bit of black insulation tape on the black rails in front of each foot after you have measured and fitted them correctly the first time. It makes it so much quicker to fit the rails properly next time round.

And if you're good with your sticking skills the tape will survive washing the car with a pressure washer.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts