Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Kona PremSe64k 2020+bluelink +ohme
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I recently saw a video about using the 12v outlet in an EV to power devices in a caravan - a kind of V2H solution. Well, my reaction was I don't have a caravan and largely discarded the video as superfluous. Thinking back it was around the Kona's UTILITY mode. Whatever I didn't have a caravan, so what.

Then yesterday we had a power cut from about 4pm until near midnight. Yes, I had the ability to see the internet on my mobile (albeit badly because our home has thick walls) and there I was with my pretty well fully charged Kona and I wasn't able to tap into it!

This morning we have the leccy back on and looking on Youtube I find this 2016 video entitled cheap V2H
which all of a sudden looks pretty interesting. Damien, in the video, is not using the 12v but rather seems to have accessed the high tension system with a pair of crocodile clips.

I'm not experienced enough to know whether I can make use of this from my Kona, but it may help others. Obviously if anyone succeeds with a Kona I would be very interested.

Now I start to look here is Transport Evolved's take on the same subject.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
8,617 Posts
Do not try Damien's DC circuit at home! :eek: Most production (as opposed to home converted EVs) run up to over 400 volts which is above Damien's suggested upper limit for rectified AC of 320 volts. Potentially this could cause issues with the device that you plug into his DC circuit even if you don't kill yourself connecting to the car.
To me the question is whether ~ 1kVA is enough to power what you want during the powercut. Running things like freezers is likely to take the inverter over its limits.

·
Registered
ZE40 R110
756 Posts
You could aways buy a Honda E it has a 1.5kw 240 AC invertor built in.

When I was racing my 1/10th scale RC Touring car this summer and we pit next to our cars lots of people wanted to know if I could charge my RC car from my Zoe, which unfortunately I couldn't. I had brought a 12 V Lead Acid battery for my RC car LiPo charger and mini tyre warmers but a Honda E would have solved this problem. However the new problem I would have is fitting my pit table, chair, Gazebo and RC car stuff in the Honda E :)

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Electrically it wouldn't be hard to connect the EV battery to something like a solar inverter to get mains. The main issue is getting the EV to turn the battery pack contactor on, and then how to make the physical connection.
The Kona, for example, has a "leisure" mode, intended for 12V use, that may work, assuming it doesn't complain when it sees additional HV current draw. On other cars you could porbably just have the car on in park mode.
On cars with relatively accessible pack HV connectors, the physical connection may be doable, but you'd need to have a T connection as the car would likely be unhappy if the HV supply wasn't making it to the HV junction box.
For lower powers, tapping off the aircon/PTC heater feed might be another option, again subject to being able to get the car to turn it on.
As EVs become more popular, it wouldn't surprise me to see some third-party EV-to-Mains inverters appear.

·
Registered
5,083 Posts
Hmm, I'm not sure the solar inverters will operate without a pre-existing 250V AC sine-wave for them to synchronise with?
And I think the Kona/Ionic 12V accessories socket is rated 180W ...

·
Registered
730 Posts
I am into backup power as our house power supply is a bit dodgy at times (miles of overhead wires strung between fields). I have a UPS (uninterruptible power supply) and the downstairs lights run off a mini consumer unit which is powered by the UPS. I also have a pure sine wave inverter that I have run off the Zoe, last power cut the Mrs was half way through a Harry Potter DVD, the lights stayed on so I just got the inverter, started the Zoe, connected the inverter directly to the 12v battery (which, as the car was started, was being topped up by the dc-dc converter and hence taking power from the big battery) and powered the TV and DVD player from the Zoe for the couple of hours the power was off. She seemed happy with that.

Incidentally, most dc-dc converters in modern EVs are around 1kw (70 amps ish), so you can put a pretty beefy inverter on it but I wouldnt run it at max continuously (i.e. dont put a heater on it) as its likely not rated for continuous output at max power.

Cheers.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I've been using a little 300W off grid inverter to charge my chainsaw batteries from my Transit Connect electric. Simply connect between the 12V battery and the earthing point and leave the vehicle switched on in park.
I've connected up to about 1kW before using an off-grid inverter and Andersen connectors, enough to run the fridge, a few devices and some lights.
Whether some more high tech vehicles are more fussy when they see high loads on the 12V system I don't know!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts