Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Speak, Eevee!
1,121 Posts
If the 50k claim was a made up crystal ball speculation, I'm going to go ahead and assume the same of the claim there aren't enough to fund the programme given there still aren't any citations.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I made a guestimate at the £50K level but it does tie in with the onset of the 40% Income Tax band and would therefore be pretty easy to impliment.
What is clear to many that there are nowhere near enough people in the top 1% of earners to pay for Labor's manifesto promises. I'm sure that there many more... [cough][cough] 'worthy' places to spend the money before you get onto green initiatives. The people who fund the party will be wanting their payback long before we get onto making EV's cheaper.

·
Speak, Eevee!
1,121 Posts
But that's individual earnings. To be fair, mere speculation as it is, that's a very high salary well into the top end (figure 11 here for example shows it well into the top end even for MDs, senior officials etc https://www.ons.gov.uk/employmentandlabourmarket/peopleinwork/earningsandworkinghours/bulletins/annualsurveyofhoursandearnings/2019) - I'm sure someone earning 50k can afford to contribute a bit more!

This is very different to BabyEVDriver's rather wild claim that £50k GROSS HOUSEHOLD income (which by the time you have a couple earning the national median of £30k, well, you've then exceeded - so it'd affect the majority of households in the country) would be paying 4x council tax. I have no idea where these numbers come from, but it sure doesn't seem to be the Labour Party Manifesto. If it was then even I'd question voting for them which only makes me hope that more people fact check before making a decision... there's a lot of BS out there.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Regardless of which political party you support, reducing EV VAT to 5% won't do a lot for EV uptake. For example, if you're in the market for a £30k new car, plus or minus a few grand isn't really going to make any difference. If it IS going to make the difference between buying or not, perhaps you shouldn't be pushing your finances that much.
I haven't read any manifestos but would the VAT reduction be in addition or instead of the existing EV grant?

·
Speak, Eevee!
1,121 Posts
Yeah although we got sidetracked into a discussion about Labour (who haven't made specific quantified promises with EVs in their manifesto itself but give a more quantified idea of what they want to do in this press release), the thread is about the Lib Dems idea of VAT reduction which is only one small piece of the puzzle. I'd have said the best way to kickstart EV ownership is to sort out the infrastructure and a clear plan for generating enough power to support it, as that's where most people's concerns lie.

Making them more affordable and creating new ways of affordable charging for households without off-road parking is still an important part though if we were to prevent the green/electric revolution from being just a middle to upper class privilege. The working classes are already tired of being lectured that they should be doing more of what they can't afford by EV drivers, vegans and the like,

Maybe this needs to be a different thread but far as I can see for the big three it goes like this:
Conservatives - £1bn (previously 500m) investment in charging networks
Labour - 3 new gigafactories (li-ion battery factories), investment in charging infrastructure, electric community car clubs, accelerate transition to electric for public sector car fleets and buses. (Press release indicative numbers: 3bn into new EV models and technology 3.6bn into charging networks, 2.3bn towards gigafactories
Lib Dems - 5% VAT rate on EVs, increase rate of installation of charging points, residential on-street points, ultra-fast chargers at service stations, all new cars electric by 2030. 2bn into extension of ULEV zones into more cities, shift more freight to rail, support innovation in ZE technologies, reduce need for car travel at all

I know which one looks most effective to me as well as bringing back more production to the UK which would be quite important if Brexit goes ahead... YMMV, I guess.

Labour manifesto, costings
Conservative manifesto, costings
Lib Dem manifesto, costings

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Sadly, Labour don't have such a good record running the country's finances. Look what happened the last time they got a chance......

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Well we'll see. I shudder to think what might happen if John (Lenin) McDonald get his pinkies on the purse strings......

·
Registered
223 Posts
1) We do not have real austerity - look at Greece for a real example
2) My children's national debt is smaller than it would have been without our "soft austerity"

·
Registered
498 Posts
1) We do not have real austerity - look at Greece for a real example
2) My children's national debt is smaller than it would have been without our "soft austerity"
But it's not as though the last 9 years have been a great record. Far from it.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Exactly KJA
And the alternative would have been what Andrew? Crazy levels of Government borrowing, zero wage rises, silly levels of inflation, another £150 quid a month on your mortgage.......And that's before Len McClusky and his cronies kick off.

·
Registered
498 Posts
You know, I don't know. But in the last nine years interest rates that retired people rely on have been terrible. There have been near zero wage rises for lots of people.
The narrative that the Conservatives have been great with the economy/can be trusted with the economy just doesn't stack up with the truth of the last nine years.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Borrowing levels somewhere between the those chosen by the Conservatives, which didn't work, and crazy levels. How about sensible levels? It's a bit piece of stringy.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Interesting claim, any source?

I see in the manifesto that they're asking earners over £80k to pay a bit more income tax, which is fair enough.
Of course not. But then again that isn't what fear mongering is all about, right?

Too many pimpled trolls nowadays filling up the internet with the rubbish their feudal overlords of neo-liberalism supply them with. Like a good doggie they get a pat on the head and an extra boney, and they feel like they've risen above the masses.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts