Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
VW ID.3 Tour
182 Posts
Kona can burst to higher speed charging (77kw?), and has competitive range with ID3. Given that all vehicles have a charging curve, and the Kona is very efficient (perhaps more so than ID3...), you might find that comparable or insignificant over a whole drive+charge+drive session. However, the ID3 does have an excellent charging speed curve and they've just upped it past 100KW on the lower models too.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Kona can burst to higher speed charging (77kw?), and has competitive range with ID3. Given that all vehicles have a charging curve, and the Kona is very efficient (perhaps more so than ID3...), you might find that comparable or insignificant over a whole drive+charge+drive session. However, the ID3 does have an excellent charging speed curve and they've just upped it past 100KW on the lower models too.
Thanks. The Kona is part of the Carwow research! Does that 'burst' apply to the smaller battery version?

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
8,713 Posts
What exactly is the purpose of the question? To know how many miles range a car can add per minute over its charging curve or just which can burst to 100kW and justify a faster than 100kW Rapid?

·
Registered
VW ID.3 Tour
182 Posts
I would broadly be asking the question
1. How long do you want to travel on a single leg, without public charging (for cost, or convenience reasons), in the winter?
2. How quickly do you want to be able to go from 20-80% (or X%-Y%) when you do stop for public charging?
3. Do you care about 1+2 or are you just worried about the overall time from A-B including charging?

The VWs, Konas, Niros have the longest capabilities on (1), but lots of cars rival each other on rapid charge for short sessions, which means that (3) can be closer than it seems (Bjorn does lots of videos on this) between cars.

Me, I care about (1), and a bit of (2), so I have a 77kWh ID.3. (3) doesn't concern me so much as I rarely have to do a distance long enough from A-B that includes charging.

·
Registered
GOLF GTE PHEV
4,004 Posts
The excellent Leaf E+ is 100kw capable, but like other makes, probably only from a very low SOC.

Pre registered E+ models are great value (sub £30k) and maybe the cheapest 62kw battery model that is 100kw capable.

·
EVEZY code d55d6 *** Try my car cost calculator
'19 i3 120Ah / '20 Kona 64kWh / '21 e208 / '22 ID.3 Family
3,762 Posts
Also need to consider how often a particular car can actually reach higher charging speeds. IME of running a Kona from Feb to mid-May, very rarely, and then not for very long, as the battery usually wasn’t warm enough, quickly enough.

For the overall picture of charge & efficiency (in optimal conditions) this is useful:

·
Registered
Ze50 GT Line Elmo Referral ISB2GG for mutual £50 off
459 Posts
The excellent Leaf E+ is 100kw capable, but like other makes, probably only from a very low SOC.

Pre registered E+ models are great value (sub £30k) and maybe the cheapest 62kw battery model that is 100kw capable.
I think there is only around 20 locations with 100 kW Chademo connectors in England according to zapmap, compared to around 80 that are >100 kW CCS (as per today).

·
Registered
GOLF GTE PHEV
4,004 Posts
I think there is only around 20 locations with 100 kW Chademo connectors in England according to zapmap, compared to around 80 that are >100 kW CCS (as per today).
That's a point, but the limited numbers of chademo vehicles (Leafs mainly) means you stand more chance of finding a free charger than you might with a ccs vehicle so it's swings and roundabouts.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
What exactly is the purpose of the question? To know how many miles range a car can add per minute over its charging curve or just which can burst to 100kW and justify a faster than 100kW Rapid?
To find out what the cheapest car with 100kW charging was... or at least claimed to be 100kW.

·
Registered
GOLF GTE PHEV
4,004 Posts
There is also the charger itself, there is no guarantee that a 100kw charger will deliver a sustained 100kw and not much prospect of most 100kw capable EVs at the lower price end of the scale allowing 100kw for long, especially if the battery temperature is not optimum.
What I am saying is that don't buy a 100kw capable vehicle and expect it to charge up all the way from 10 to 80% at 100kw.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Peugeot e-208 and e-2008 as well as the Vauxhall Corsa-e and the Mokka-e are 100kW capable although you'd only ever get 100kW whilsr SoC is below 20% on a 100kw+ raoid charger. In fact, all the Stellantis/PSA Group EVs are 100kW capable.
Ahh, yes... I mistakenly thought they were 50kW. The cheapest spec does probably undercut the ID.3.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
There is also the charger itself, there is no guarantee that a 100kw charger will deliver a sustained 100kw and not much prospect of most 100kw capable EVs at the lower price end of the scale allowing 100kw for long, especially if the battery temperature is not optimum.
What I am saying is that don't buy a 100kw capable vehicle and expect it to charge up all the way from 10 to 80% at 100kw.
Of course.

As everything is more expensive than when we bought our Zoe, I was considering something with a smaller battery and faster possible charging rather than more range.

·
Registered
Ze50 GT Line Elmo Referral ISB2GG for mutual £50 off
459 Posts
Ahh, yes... I mistakenly thought they were 50kW. The cheapest spec does probably undercut the ID.3.
When comparing e208/sibilings to ID3 in terms of charging, in a 45min charging session (>100kW) the ID3 overall charges 15-20% more kWh than e208 (not speaking about battery % tho; also in comparison e208 is capable of getting around 15% more kWh than ZS EV and ZOE50 in that 45min session).

See here:

·
Registered
GOLF GTE PHEV
4,004 Posts
Of course.

As everything is more expensive than when we bought our Zoe, I was considering something with a smaller battery and faster possible charging rather than more range.
That could work provided there are enough 100kw chargers where you'll be driving, but not sure you'd save much time because the charge rate will just drop more quickly so a 50kw charger may be almost as quick.

·
Registered
209 Posts
The MG5 and ZS claim 80kW peak I think, though how often you'd get it is another thing.

Ioniq 28 can charge at 70kW but it so ridiculously efficient its miles/minute charging is even better then that sounds. Maybe £13k second hand.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts