Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had the Rolec Wallpod fitted at home under the scheme - very happy with it. I've seen prices on line for the Rolec products ranging from less than £100 (with 3 pin outlet) to £400-£600 for a plugged / tethered version. I'm guessing the difference is that the EVSE is then in the Rolec Pod rather than on the car's own portable cable. That said it still seems a hefty premium ?!

Various threads have remarked on the hassle factor of using the portable lead versus tethered so I guess I should refine the question to "what is the most cost effective way of installing a tethered chargepoint" (for those not eligible for grant.

The plan is to pay for my elec consumption to keep well away from any fuel / benefit in kind tax. I'll also be funding the install.

Maybe I should fit the cheaper Wall Pod and upgrade the module to a tethered version when costs drop (if thats possible) and live with the portable lead hassle in the meantime.

·
Banned
3,715 Posts
I'm guessing the difference is that the EVSE is then in the Rolec Pod rather than on the car's own portable cable. That said it still seems a hefty premium ?!
Inside the EVSE you have three main components - RCBO, Contactor, and Protocol Controller;

IMG_2320_small.jpg

If the EVSE is for your own use then you could have a 32A 'commando' socket installed at work (sockets start at £8) and build or have built a portable EVSE;

A kit of parts is available from Mainpine resellers including New Electric (EVTV) in Amsterdam

IMG_3372_small.JPG

·
Banned
3,715 Posts
Maybe I should fit the cheaper Wall Pod and upgrade the module to a tethered version when costs drop (if thats possible) and live with the portable lead hassle in the meantime.
The standard 13A Rolec Wall Pods are not deep enough to fit the components required for the EVSE upgrade. If going down this path then order a 'deep' Wall Pod from Rolec and make sure they are prepared to offer you an EVSE upgrade at an acceptable price.

·
Banned
3,715 Posts
"what is the most cost effective way of installing a tethered chargepoint" (for those not eligible for grant.
I would strongly recommend you install a Charging Station with a Type 2 socket because it's usable by both Type 1 and Type 2 cars. Either way if you want the best and most aggressive pricing find a Mainpine reseller ;)

Here are some Zero Carbon World branded Charging Stations...

IMG_3164_small.jpg

IMG_3192_small.jpg

·
Registered
52 Posts
I really want to build that EVSE with the current setting switch but I don't have a clue where I can buy that Mainpine EPC 32A ?? Is there anybody out there who could help me finding it?? Otherwise this Nissan Leaf thing is completely useless...Because nobody wants to wait 8-10 hours to refill the batteries! And the shop you listed isn't online anymore!?!?

So please .....HELP ME .. Thank you

·
Registered
89 Posts
Anyone got any up to date info on where to get components, i have seen a mainpine controller for £66 inc vat and postage , is that about the best deal I'm likely to find? Then Din contactor, i already have an rcd and a breaker. best place to buy a cable and type 1 plug? I'm fairly good with the ol' sparks so I'm sure I could throw it all together. Thanks!

·
Registered
486 Posts
The were number of charge master 16 and 32 amp chargers on ebay for very decent price of £50 and got one for myself (brand new and number of people here bought them). Total cost of installation (charger, cables etc and electrician) was around £175.
Maybe keep an eye if more comes available later on again?

·
Registered
486 Posts
Did you open that SpeakEV link above and then click one of the links near bottom?

There are 4 different variation available atm.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts