Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
EV owners who also use off peak electricity for heating are a small but significant group with a particular need to monitor electricity tariffs. Over 30 odd years I have found that the electricity companies seem to delight in sucking you in with low night rates (coupled with higher than average day rates) only to ramp them up disproportionately after the fixed period. You are then stuck in an endless cycle of switching. I do know about agile but they currently do not provide 3 phase smart meters (I checked).
My usage is 75% night over the whole year (90%) in winter and total kWh is 27,000. Yes, really, so rates are important to me.

My current provider is Symbio - Day 12.195, Night 6.787, SC 22 pence inc vat. So if you can, and your usage is similar, check if, 1. you might benefit from switching or 2. you know any better rates.

Also, please use this thread provide updates if you spot good deals. Not Octopus for now as 4 hrs is not enough to charge my electric boiler and cannot get agile. Thanks.

·
EVEZY code -£50 off: d409e
1,841 Posts
'Assume either a 1 is missing from day price, or they're backwards and good prices?

"Night 12.195, Day 6.787"

Maybe Octopus' smart meter installs are still 'paused' due to Covid? If not, then someone is wrong, either the CS person you spoke to, or the guy running the tech team who says they are fitting 3-phase smart meters.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, now corrected, and I read that through a few times.

I have seriously looked into Octopus and they confirmed in writing that they were not installing 3 phase smart meters. Plus, as you may have seen in other threads, I am very reticent to sign up to a scheme where it is not possible to predict the financial impact and make accurate comparisons with conventional tariffs. I have already moved as much day usage to night as is possible without battery storage and that didn't make financial sense for me.

·
Registered
MG ZS EV Exclusive
343 Posts
I don't have electric heating but I've found Economy 7 tariffs the best value for me. This is even more now I have solar panels on the roof and a battery storage system (Powervault 4KwH)
My usage pattern varies between 66% in the winter and 75% in the summer on the night time rate. After much searching I decided to go with People's Energy.
On their People's Energy 2 Months Upfront Winter 19 Tariff v2 I pay: -
Day Consumption: 15.19438 p/kWh, Night Consumption: 7.61638 p/kWh, Standing charge: 21.2 p/day All prices + VAT
For gas: - Unit rate: 2.11278 p/kWh, Standing charge: 21.2 p/day. All prices + VAT
Please bear in mind that unit rates vary by area; some areas are more expensive than others.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts