Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just switched to Extrarnergy who have 9.3 ppkwh all day with a standing charge of 57ppd.. overall it's the cheapest even though I have ECO 7.. r there any cheaper deals out there? Sorry I'm not concerned-- and will not pay lots extra for-- only green..

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I use
I just switched to Extrarnergy who have 9.3 ppkwh all day with a standing charge of 57ppd.. overall it's the cheapest even though I have ECO 7.. r there any cheaper deals out there? Sorry I'm not concerned-- and will not pay lots extra for-- only green..
I use 11000 kWh per yr... currently Sainsbury ..4p at night and 9 in the morning... ouch!

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
I use
I use 11000 kWh per yr... currently Sainsbury ..4p at night and 9 in the morning... ouch!
Based on what you have said so far the Sainsbury's tariff is cheaper than ExtraEnergy, are you sure the tariffs you have posted are accurate and do they both include or both exclude vat so that you are comparing apples to apples?

What is the standing charge on the Sainsburys tariff? 57p/day seems overly expensive for an electricity supply.

How much of the 11000kWh you use in a year is at night/eco 7 rate?

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
currently Sainsbury ..4p at night and 9 in the morning... ouch!
Here you say you are currently paying 4p night rate and 9p day rate, correct?

Sainsbury rate changed to more than double this last week!
So you had a fixed price tariff that has ended and you would have moved to Sainsbury's standard tariff at around 8p/night and 18p/day, correct?

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here you say you are currently paying 4p night rate and 9p day rate, correct?

So you had a fixed price tariff that has ended and you would have moved to Sainsbury's standard tariff at around 8p/night and 18p/day, correct?
Yup...7&13 to be exact! SC of 27pd... are there any cheaper alternatives out there?

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
are there any cheaper alternatives out there?
Possibly, have a look on the energy saving club from money saving expert.

Given that you currently have economy 7, out of interest how much of the 11000kWh per year that you use is day rate and how much night rate?

New tariff:
11MWh @ £0.093 = £1023
Standing charge @ £0.57/day = £208.05
Total yearly = £1231.05

Sainsbury's Energy standard tariff on economy 7 with all of your usage at day rate:
11MWh @ £0.13 = £1430
Standing charge = £94.90
Total yearly = £1524.90

Sainsbury's tariff with 50/50 day night usage:
5500 @ day rate = £715
5500 @ night rate = £495
Standing charge = £94.90
Yearly: £1304.90

Increase the night consumption percentage and the Sainsbury's standard tariff may work out cheaper than what you have just moved to.

You need to run your own calculations based on your own consumption figures.

But above else, 11000kWh per year?! I only use 5700kWh per year and that runs the house and charges two cars. Reduce your electricity consumption and you'll save money immediately.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That is intersting.. 5500 at night and 95% of that is charging my car..... Rest is daytime. I'd say 6000kwh for a family of 5 isn't unreasonable for a year?

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
That is intersting.. 5500 at night and 95% of that is charging my car..... Rest is daytime. I'd say 6000kwh for a family of 5 isn't unreasonable for a year?
Meh, different lifestyles, electric cooking and immersion heater vs gas combi, people always home vs house empty etc. will alter the figures I suppose and increase consumption.

It may be worth half an hour of your time though to walk around the house and perform a mini audit; any frequently used room with down lights or other fitment that uses gu10 bulbs that currently have the normal halogen bulbs in them are big ticket items that will save you money if replaced with led bulbs.

Turn off the children's Xbox / PlayStation at the wall when not in use along with any other standby vampire device (tv, radio, set top box). The only devices that need to be left on are broadband router and sky box / freeview box if you record.

It's often published and scoffed at but if you've got people at home all day that are big tea/coffee drinkers only fill the kettle for the number of cups you need. Turn off phone, laptop, tablet chargers when not in use. It may only be pennies but 24/7 those pennies add up!

If you're staying with economy 7 then use the dishwasher, washing machine, tumble dryer (horrible things!) at night on cheap rate not in the day unless you really need to.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
And saving just a little for the inconvenience of night time tariff is not really worth it...
Very true, there are a number of quick and simple things that can be done though without inconvenience. If you really want to get anal retentive you can go as far as switching off all digital clocks, banning phone chargers (charge at work etc), that will probably get the wife's and kid's attention! :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Have you looked at Bulb? They worked out far cheaper for us, partly because their gas price was pretty good, but with them paying the cancellation fees from our previous supplier and with the £50 referral they worked out very competitive. It's the first time I've been with a supplier and had them reduce the per date rate and they have just removed the independent gas transport fee I was paying every month as well!

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Bulb more expensive for electricity only.. 12.5ppkwh and 25 sc... and is gas is only 0.4ppkwh cheaper than Zoe energy which I fixed for 2 yrs...or £64 per year more expensive than bulb.. but bulb does not do a gas only...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts