Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really want an EV - but I can't afford new... well I could but it wouldn't be smart.

I could afford used - if that's the best option.

I've been looking at leases - but they seem expensive.

Anyone aware of any better options?

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
IMO you could do a lot worse than a second hand MK1 Leaf. You should be able to get a good one for about £10K I would imagine. Remember though... no road tax, cheap servicing, no petrol costs... I cannot imagine a cheaper way to get a 3 year old car, let alone an EV!

·
1,551 Posts
I really want an EV - but I can't afford new... well I could but it wouldn't be smart.

Used is the best option... That's how we were able to get a Roadster and Model S (Roadster was used)...

Also, the iMiEV and its variants are also more inexpensive than most other EVs out there.

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts

Agreed! Click through the 'reviews' link on that page to get two fairly sensible reviews (plus one by a troll).

Lots of iOns on Autotrader this week. Dealers will be looking to move stock so there will be deals to be had if you can take delivery before month-end.
C-Zeros are just under £9k and iMievs just under £10k. They are all pretty much the same car.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
How about an ex demo new(ish) Leaf on PCP?

I'm paying £137/month after a 6.5k deposit over 2 years. This car is saving me an absolute fortune, and although I love it, I'm not that bothered about owning it outright, especially as no one really knows what will happen with battery technology advances in the next couple of years.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
@billysielu what's your budget?

Recently put a friend at work in touch with fleetdrive electric for the my electric avenue social trials just a few weeks ago.

Although the main trial is full they were still offering discounted lease rates on the trial terms. Prices had gone up a little but for a brand new leaf accenta it was around £250 per month with around £800 up front. 18 month lease, 10,000 miles p.a. In my experience the lease was actually a pcp so there is an option to purchase if that's of interest.

Depending on your circumstances and current fuel spend this could be a very cheap way to try out a new EV without any risk.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I bought a demo Zoe 3000 miles 12 months old for £9K.
But I did have to shop around. I emailed several dealers with demo cars for sale and made them an offer. One accepted, but you only need one.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't really have a budget as such, just trying to be sensible.

When I bought my Astra it cost £8k and was 1 year old. (it's 5 years old now)

I've recently found out I can lease a brand new Astra for a similar cost - so that's an attractive option. The lease on that is about £170/month. I also like the idea of leasing in general, I don't like having a load of money tied up in a car.

I'm not really interested in small cars like the iMIEV. Just too small.

Which ever way I do the math, even a Leaf is about £100/month more expensive. Whether it's bought second hand or leased from new. :(

·
Registered
541 Posts
How about an ex demo new(ish) Leaf on PCP?

I'm paying £137/month after a 6.5k deposit over 2 years. This car is saving me an absolute fortune, and although I love it, I'm not that bothered about owning it outright, especially as no one really knows what will happen with battery technology advances in the next couple of years.
How about leased from used?

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Which ever way I do the math, even a Leaf is about £100/month more expensive. Whether it's bought second hand or leased from new. :(
It depends what you include in your maths.

What deposit required for the £170 Astra lease? The fleetdrive LEAF trial deposit is ~£800 IIRC and only £80 per month more expensive. Savings you could easily recoup elsewhere.

What's your monthly fuel spend? We were spending ~£200 per month, now replaced by around £25 electric (we mostly charge at home, using free public charging occasionally).

Road tax?

It's useful to work out your average total monthly motoring cost including everything. For us it was a no brainer. Self funding in savings alone.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I include everything. My fuel is currently about £90/month.
The current Astra costs about £250/month.
Some costs go away when you lease, some just change.
The new Astra I'm looking at has 70mpg (up from 45), and 0 road tax (down from 180).
Meaning if I spend £170/month on a new Astra lease it adds up to £250/month.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
You don't mention what deposit is required for the new Astra, but ignoring that you still arrive at the £250ish it would cost you to go EV. So it's close to a cost neutral decision.

If you haven't already, test drive an EV such as a LEAF and take the decision away to which you prefer driving.

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
Renault Zoe can be had on a PCP for £199/month including battery rental over 49 months. The upfront deposit is £2250.

·
Registered
313 Posts

Cheapest way to own an EV?

Buy a used G-Wiz on eBay.

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
The other potential option is a salary sacrifice scheme through work. Like cycle to work and childcare schemes the money is taken out of your pay packet before tax is calculated. It is getting less attractive though as the BIK rates go up to 5%, then 8% in the next couple of tax years :(

We looked at offering our staff this, but the normal providers required a fairly sizeable number of EVs to be supplied, and we didn't have enough interest.

·
Registered
27 Posts
@billysielu what's your budget?

Recently put a friend at work in touch with fleetdrive electric for the my electric avenue social trials just a few weeks ago.

Although the main trial is full they were still offering discounted lease rates on the trial terms. Prices had gone up a little but for a brand new leaf accenta it was around £250 per month with around £800 up front. 18 month lease, 10,000 miles p.a. In my experience the lease was actually a pcp so there is an option to purchase if that's of interest.

Depending on your circumstances and current fuel spend this could be a very cheap way to try out a new EV without any risk.
Hi, it's Vicky from Fleetdrive, I would be happy to discuss how we can help you with a Nissan Leaf. My email is [email protected]

1 - 19 of 19 Posts