Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Since yesterday I am getting a "check electric system" warning on the dashboard. I thought it might be the state of the 12v battery so first I charged the traction battery overnight to 100pc. Error still there. I disconnected the 12v battery and reconncted it, to no avail. I have done a battery check using a handheld battery checker. SOH=92pc, SOC = 98pc.

According to CANZE, it is not necessary to change battery.

Any ideas what else may be causing the warning to come on, and how to resolve this?

Cheers,
Chris

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I forgot to add, my car is a 2017 Zoe 40 and it has the original first 12v battery still there. it is now around 4y3m old

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
21,644 Posts
What’s the voltage of the 12v battery?

I’d say it’s the prime suspect. Especially with German winters.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Can the error message be nothing to do with the 12V battery but something else with the auxilliary electrics?

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
21,644 Posts
Battery voltage looks a little low.

Certainly one to rule out.

New 12 V battery is around €100.

Start messing with the Zoe’s charging system and it’s €thousands.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Get a decent fault code reader and check the faults, otherwise you are just guessing. The icarsoft ones are pretty good and not expensive.

Cheers.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Get a decent fault code reader and check the faults, otherwise you are just guessing. The icarsoft ones are pretty good and not expensive.

Cheers.
Thanks. Can you give me more details about it please? Thanks

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I use one of these, works very well

cheers
Thanks.

Update: I hve now changed the 12V battery for a new one and the error message is still there. Looks like I need to get a proper fault reader.

In the meantime, can you assist in making sense of the outputs from the CANZE app? I see that under a few categories there are some text.

Thanks

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Did you disconnect the 12v over night like I suggested?
Hi, yes, I did, but made no difference.

I have now bought a new 12V battery, charged it o/n, then fitted it. Still the warning light is on....

·
Registered
705 Posts
Thanks.

Update: I hve now changed the 12V battery for a new one and the error message is still there. Looks like I need to get a proper fault reader.

In the meantime, can you assist in making sense of the outputs from the CANZE app? I see that under a few categories there are some text.

Thanks
Hi, the only screenshot from canze i can see is for the 12v battery and you've replaced that now.

CanZE can read fault codes, tho some seem to always show up on there regardless but it might point us in the right direction.

Cheers.

·
Registered
954 Posts
I have just had this reoccur. Last time it happened was when the car was about 16 months old. That time, I tried the things discussed here, but the upshot was that it was a problem with the DC/DC converter. At that time it meant a complete PEC replacement. My understanding now is that the dealers are authorised to open up the PEC and replace the sub-components as required.

Anyway, I'm not going to bother trying to diagnose it myself. Better to let the dealer take a look. I wouldn't be surprised if it's the same issue, though I would be disappointed.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Update:

The car is at Renault to have the fault codes analysed. Result: the electric water pump is defect and needs replacing. Total cost eur 670.

The immediate problem is: they are saying the car is not safe to drive and the repair can only be done the week after next. I had been driving for over 2 weeks before they could see the car, and noticed no effect on power or on charging. Is it safe to drive for the next 10 days?

What exactly does the elec water pump do? (I thought the traction battery was air-cooled??)

Comments/tips please!

Thanks

1 - 20 of 20 Posts