Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have had a few instances in the last week where I charged my 2013 Zoe at a 22kw street charger, came back to find the display showing 100% and the car still charging. What is more, the cooling fan (to cool traction battery) was on. Normally the charging will auto stop when car is 100% charged.

When I switch on, I get the "CHECK ELECTRICAL SYSTEM" error message. After parking up and leaving the car overnight the message had gone.

This happened on the same charging station twice within a week.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
503 Posts
"Electrical system" refers to the 12v system, not to the traction battery.

What the charging post does is to keep the car awake. The car has charged the battery to 100%, but there's signal from the charging post that it is delivering electricity, but no electricity demanded by the car. Thus the car no longer charges the traction battery, but stays awake and drains the 12v battery.

Which operator is it?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
"Electrical system" refers to the 12v system, not to the traction battery.

What the charging post does is to keep the car awake. The car has charged the battery to 100%, but there's signal from the charging post that it is delivering electricity, but no electricity demanded by the car. Thus the car no longer charges the traction battery, but stays awake and drains the 12v battery.

Which operator is it?
I live in Germany so probably it is not of interest, but the operator is Stadtwerke Mainz AG, under the "innogy e-roaming" network.

Thanks for the explanation. Given that the fan had been on for some time, even though the car wasn't charging explains why the 12V battery could have been depleted.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I live in Germany so probably it is not of interest, but the operator is Stadtwerke Mainz AG, under the "innogy e-roaming" network.

Thanks for the explanation. Given that the fan had been on for some time, even though the car wasn't charging explains why the 12V battery could have been depleted.
I see that you are also registered in Germany, so maybe you would be interested in the operator.....

·
Registered
503 Posts
I live in Offenbach+Frankfurt and was asking about the operator because EVO (Energieversorgung Offenbach) has installed some shoddy units that I am aware of a few in my area. innogy's charging units are pretty simple and robust, but likely the one you're mentioning is defect.

The 12v battery is topped up from the traction battery, via a DC-DC converter (from 400V to 14.4V), while the car is on in general, but also for 15 minutes after the motor has been turned off; after those 15 minutes all car computers will be turned off. This would explain why leaving the car overnight would make the error message go away, but can be depleted when plugged in. Furthermore, the 12v battery does not seem to be recharged, as far as I noticed, when the traction battery is being recharged (this would also explain while when you sit in the car while charging, R-Link will turn off after 10 minutes; to save the 12v battery).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts