Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Need some advice about checking the history of a used Zoe.

Anyone had any such experience with Renault "not just the dealer" ? Checking things like, registration date, servicing history, warranty still validity ..etc.
Any solid , written proof should /will be provided?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Hi Ammar and welcome to the forum, any Zoe in the UK should still be covered by Renault's guarantee but I would be wary of buying one privately unless it was a real bargain - very low mileage examples can be bought sub 10k from dealers. There have been some major issues with a few cars and you also have the transferring of the battery lease to take into acount so I would be very cautious. As fas as I am aware there is no foolproof way of checking the history other that an HPI check to reveal outstanding finance or accident history.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Ammar and welcome to the forum, any Zoe in the UK should still be covered by Renault's guarantee but I would be wary of buying one privately unless it was a real bargain - very low mileage examples can be bought sub 10k from dealers. There have been some major issues with a few cars and you also have the transferring of the battery lease to take into acount so I would be very cautious. As fas as I am aware there is no foolproof way of checking the history other that an HPI check to reveal outstanding finance or accident history.
Hi

With all this new technology involved, surely Renault is keeping more info about the car than the ICE cars?
Or else, why would anyone risk buying an untried or tested technology that is not 100% backed by the manufacturer?
These things must be very expensive to maintain/fix if anything goes wrong.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I bought a demo Zoe from a dealer and it has been temperamental to say the least. In three months it has been at the dealer's four times. I hope it will be sorted today, but an intermittent fault is difficult.
On my experience I wouldn't risk a private purchase

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I bought a demo Zoe from a dealer and it has been temperamental to say the least. In three months it has been at the dealer's four times. I hope it will be sorted today, but an intermittent fault is difficult.
I agree with you on this. I would never buy it privately. I am actually talking about a dealer-used car. I am just being extra careful here because it's electric and things could be hidden away from un-experienced eyes.
I know the usual stuff, stamps and documents but there must be some thing on the database of any faults or major repairs.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Also, what has your experience been generally with the car and renault? Would you recommend it?

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
@Ammar the car is fantastic, the best range of anything except Tesla and obviously the best price. The battery lease also gives you a cast iron guarantee on the most expensive component.
But there have been many issues with charging problems which seem to be down to the BCP, but once this is upgraded the problems seem to go. It might be worth you asking about that. Mine is currently with the dealer for this issue so i better not comment till i get it back lol.
You can search this forum to find many opinions on Renault customer service..........;):confused:

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Hi all,

Need some advice about checking the history of a used Zoe.

Anyone had any such experience with Renault "not just the dealer" ? Checking things like, registration date, servicing history, warranty still validity ..etc.
Any solid , written proof should /will be provided?

Thanks
Download mycarcheck it will tell you everything

·
Registered
182 Posts
@Ammar the car is fantastic, the best range of anything except Tesla and obviously the best price. The battery lease also gives you a cast iron guarantee on the most expensive component.
But there have been many issues with charging problems which seem to be down to the BCP, but once this is upgraded the problems seem to go. It might be worth you asking about that. Mine is currently with the dealer for this issue so i better not comment till i get it back lol.
You can search this forum to find many opinions on Renault customer service..........;):confused:
I agree with Kentish Zoe. The car is a delight with the added bonus that my wife has taken to it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have to say what is stopping me from buying one are the negative experiences people here have had with Renault. I never had a Renault before so I literrally know nothing about their customer service.

Most people are saying: good car but bad customer service.

The car does fit my daily commute perfectly, but I have to say my experience with Renault as a a buyer has not been particularly good so far.

·
Registered
182 Posts
My last experience with Renault was a Dauphine in 1958!
Fortunately there is no dealer locally so I've tried several, with not much success. Then I decided to try Birmingham as they were one of the first dealers to have electric experience. They are making a much better fist of it. We'll see if they succeed.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Nothing of the service history though, it's similar to an HPi check.

There's no centralised database for vehicle servicing history, so when you buy you simply have to rely on the documents that the vendor can provide - together with any explanations.

Something like an HPi check is useful when you're buying from Arthur Daily or Joe Public, but it's unwarranted when you are using a reputable dealership.

I always rely on the tenet, when buying privately, that if the car seems too good to be true - then it probably is!
You say that but I found out a car I was going to buy had 1 big crash and the dealership never new

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Dealerships are responsible for making certain they reveal such material facts to a purchaser.

If not then the consumer can return the vehicle and/or sue them. Hence it's extremely rare these days.
lol my friend dave got a volvo from a car place in billing Aqua Dome Northampton that had been in a crash they said they do not have the time to check 2000 cars

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Service books aren't common anymore as service records are stored electronically, certainly BMW and MAZDA don't issue them at all. The fact that you can buy fully stamped up service books on ebay means you would have to be a mug to rely on that.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Service books aren't common anymore as service records are stored electronically, certainly BMW and MAZDA don't issue them at all. The fact that you can buy fully stamped up service books on ebay means you would have to be a mug to rely on that.
Exactly, so where is all the Zoe data kept?
Aditionally, as far as I know they keep tracking the car 24/7 (all electric cars apparently). So how come they don't have an extensive record on their database that they can refer to on request?

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
The data is obviously stored and probably within the car, maybe an FOI request could be made but I think you worry unduly. If a car has had past problems it may mean that common issues have been remedied that are yet to surface in another car.
With an ICE then it's type of use could affect longevity but with an EV i don't think it's such an issue and any problems would be covered by the Renault guarantee - or am I missing something ?
Exactly, so where is all the Zoe data kept?
Aditionally, as far as I know they keep tracking the car 24/7 (all electric cars apparently). So how come they don't have an extensive record on their database that they can refer to on request?

·
Registered
344 Posts
In my 18month of ownership I have lost my Zoe to Renault ZE services no less than 3months because of various faults and in that time I have found Renault customer services to be less than useless.

One of the main problems with Zoe is the chameleon charger, it is so fussy and has prevented me from charging the battery on more than one occasion and left wife stranded in the middle of a busy road because the car died.

But that apart I have driven a bunch of BEV's now, Twizzy, Fluence, Leaf and Zoe and I have to say that Zoe is by far the best to drive, battery range, and looks and when wife and I go out in Zoe we usually fight over the key card.

Zoe is new tech and a fantastic car so if you can bare useless manufacturer support then go for it:)

·
Registered
503 Posts
Looking at the price of 2nd hand cars from dealers, they aren't far off what I have paid for a new one, what with all the grants and subsidies knocking about...

If your looking for one @Ammar then don't rule out brand new, bit of googling will show you the prices and there really isn't much in it

And to be honest I think all dealers are the same, whether it's Renault or BMW, it all depends on who you get served by and if they are having a good day or not!

Sam

·
Registered
503 Posts
Not a bad deal I will agree with you...

But just checked the deal we got and including VAT, GAP and delivery our dynamique intens has cost us £10800 pounds for a zero mileage brand spanker! Obviously not including the battery lease

Discount of over £8k!!!

So yes there are good second hand prices around, but I think I'd rather pay that little bit more for brand new at that price!

I get the feeling that renault and Evans halshaw are wanting to get more cars out there on the road.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts