Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been in regular contact with MP David Rutley regarding the lack of progress on this scheme. Whilst I appreciate that Cheshire East have a long history of expensive fiascos, I have found this one really irksome. Engenie, who were commissioned to deliver the charging points, have emailed me today and stated that the charging points at Wilmslow, Congleton and Nantwich are now operational and offer free charging until 08/04/2016.

However, there are two charging points at the rear of Macclesfield Town Hall that although situated in the public car park, are not available to the general public. I thought this strange seeing that Cheshire East do not have any electric vehicles. When I queried this with Mike Suarez the Chief Executive, he stated that the points were for the exclusive use of council employees using their own vehicles for council business. Given that the charging points have only been used 48 times since installation I asked if the points could be made available for the public. His response "No". I then made a formal complaint and received the following response;

"With regards to the charging points located to the rear of Macclesfield Town Hall not being available for public use, it does appear that when time permits officers will consider putting together a business case, looking at the feasibility of making them available outside of office hours. Unfortunately, officers are currently unable to say when this will be".

I find this response condescending and dismissive. I would urge all local EV owners to contact Mike Suarez and make your views known. He can be contacted here; [email protected]

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
Welcome along and well done. Speak EV is a fantastic talking shop and the best forum I've ever frequented. But like all forums, it can also be a moaning shop. Proactive efforts like this might actually bring about positive change. I find councils to be very intransigent and you have to be a nuisance to get anything done.

·
Registered
466 Posts
I tried to charge at Nantwich this morning but I couldn't get the unit to start. I followed the instructions but it required activation by phone via an app but when I followed the link it said the app wasn't ready. It had an option for RFID card but I don't have an engenie card (do these exist? Where can I get one?). The final option was a pin code. The printed instructions said it accepted credit cards but there was no option on screen to activate by credit card.
I gave up.

·
Registered
6,153 Posts
I find this response condescending and dismissive. I would urge all local EV owners to contact Mike Suarez and make your views known. He can be contacted here; [email protected]
I agree and have emailed him as below.

"
Hello Mr Suarez,

I have been told that the electric car charge points installed on council premises are purely for the use of Council employees who own private electric cars and use them on council business.

I would urge caution in this policy as you could be opening the council up to accusations of illegal benefit in kind. Further, if the charge points have been provided from public or grant aided funds then that compounds the problem

There is no problem in reimbursing such drivers on an agreed scale for the use of a private petrol/diesel fuelled car as that is measurable and accountable. However, if such EV drivers are allowed exclusive and unmeasured access to free electricity that inevitable means that they are also being paid from public funds for private mileage, as well as any council business use. A clear case of discrimination against the people paying for the power.

However, if the general public is allowed to use them the problem goes away as those council drivers would then be filling up as a private person like everyone else. Of course it would then be most unfair if they simply left their cars parked at the charger all day, denying access to other casual users as part of their own journeys.

I would urge you to speed up the process of opening them up to general use before the press are alerted to this unsatisfactory position. Your comments on this situation would be appreciated.

Regards,"

·
Registered
4,161 Posts
Government grant
That is always the problem in this country.

Public officials fear nothing.

I would welcome a system where any wrongdoing, or arrogance in public office is met with a swift merciless response.

If it were up to me any public servant denying the public unobstructed access to a publicly funded charger would have a quick visit from the Police. If they tried to argue any excuse for their inexcusable disgusting foul behaviour then they would be arrested on the spot, thrown in a cell, be dragged in front of the Magistrates in a few days time, or whenever they could be fitted in, charged with corruption in a public office or misappropriation of public funds, be found guilty, and get 12 months gaol time. Job gone, criminal record.

None of them would feel much of an appetite to act arrogantly if they knew this would be the outcome.

Public servant : the clue is in the job title.

·
Registered
6,153 Posts
If they tried to argue any excuse for their inexcusable disgusting foul behaviour then they would be arrested on the spot, thrown in a cell, be dragged in front of the Magistrates in a few days time, or whenever they could be fitted in, charged with corruption in a public office or misappropriation of public funds, be found guilty, and get 12 months gaol time. Job gone, criminal record.
Firm but fair :).

·
Registered
4,161 Posts
I loath and detest, more than I can put into words, corruption in a public office.

I am in favour of the death penalty, not just for murder, but for several other serious crimes. I believe in any just, civilised and decent society corruption in a public office should carry this sentence.

Got no time for North Korea and that fruit loop running it. But do agree with his methods of punishment for those falling down on the job.
Only thing that concerns me is that he is carrying out such punishments, not as a way of punishing wrong doing, but as a way of maintaining his own power, which is therefore, by definition, corruption in a public office.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I tried to charge at Nantwich this morning but I couldn't get the unit to start. I followed the instructions but it required activation by phone via an app but when I followed the link it said the app wasn't ready. It had an option for RFID card but I don't have an engenie card (do these exist? Where can I get one?). The final option was a pin code. The printed instructions said it accepted credit cards but there was no option on screen to activate by credit card.
I gave up.
They are supposedly introducing a credit card option from 08/04/16 but don't hold your breath!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I agree and have emailed him as below.

"
Hello Mr Suarez,

I have been told that the electric car charge points installed on council premises are purely for the use of Council employees who own private electric cars and use them on council business.

I would urge caution in this policy as you could be opening the council up to accusations of illegal benefit in kind. Further, if the charge points have been provided from public or grant aided funds then that compounds the problem

There is no problem in reimbursing such drivers on an agreed scale for the use of a private petrol/diesel fuelled car as that is measurable and accountable. However, if such EV drivers are allowed exclusive and unmeasured access to free electricity that inevitable means that they are also being paid from public funds for private mileage, as well as any council business use. A clear case of discrimination against the people paying for the power.

However, if the general public is allowed to use them the problem goes away as those council drivers would then be filling up as a private person like everyone else. Of course it would then be most unfair if they simply left their cars parked at the charger all day. Denying access to other casual users as part of their own journeys.

I would urge you to speed up the process of opening them up to general use before the press are alerted to this unsatisfactory position. Your comments on this situation would be appreciated.

Regards,"
Thanks for your help! It's easy to dismiss a lone dissenter - not so easy once the numbers grow!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I loath and detest, more than I can put into words, corruption in a public office.

I am in favour of the death penalty, not just for murder, but for several other serious crimes. I believe in any just, civilised and decent society corruption in a public office should carry this sentence.

Got no time for North Korea and that fruit loop running it. But do agree with his methods of punishment for those falling down on the job.
Only thing that concerns me is that he is carrying out such punishments, not as a way of punishing wrong doing, but as a way of maintaining his own power, which is therefore, by definition, corruption in a public office.
I did think his use of an anti aircraft gun to dismiss an errant member of his staff was a tad excessive though!

·
Registered
6,153 Posts
Whilst the theft of anything, should be considered a serious offence, it should not carry such a draconian sentence.

Loss of a limb / digit, perhaps little finger of the left hand, would be a fair punishment for such a crime.
I looked in vain for a button to click expressing 'unlike' at this as I value my pinkies a lot. I might return the pen though with an apology.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts