Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Chesterfield has suddenly witnessed an explosion of ev charging points after years of very limited provision. Two council run car parks, in Durrant Road and St Mary's Gate, now have banks of CYC 7kWh units, and today I've noticed on zapmap that the Soresby Street car park has a new Polar rapid, albeit fairly expensive. A multi-storey car park is nearing completion on the edge of the town centre which will have more units and next month a new Lidl, supposedly with a free rapid, is due to open. Considering that we previously had only a free 3.5kwh charger at a community hub and two fast chargers at the Nissan dealership and a Novotel, with another at an out of town hospital, out of working hours, this mushrooming of charge points is very welcome, both for those of us living and working in the town, and for anyone from the East heading into that charging desert called the Peak District National Park.

·
Registered
701 Posts
. . .next month a new Lidl, supposedly with a free rapid, is due to open.
I hope you're right about that ! However, I've stopped off and peered through the fence several times and there's certainly no charger there yet nor is there the box you'd expect to see nearby. FWIW, my sister - who lives very near the Whiteley branch of Lidl - told me there was a charger unit (with 'overcoat' announcing it wasn't ready yet) visible quite a few weeks before the store opened (and the 'overcoat' stayed on for approx. 8 weeks after it did open).

.two fast chargers at the Nissan dealership. .
Not altogether cheered at that either. There was one post (possibly with two 7 kW sockets ?) at the back of the car park but I've never seen it 'unICE'd' and indeed was told it was out of order last time I enquired about it. ZapMap used to list it but seem to have dropped it. As Nissan dealerships go, I'm afraid I don't rate it very highly (even though I bought my car there). They've not had an EV technician since January and no early prospect of getting one (I went there to enquire this week).

But it's not all bad news from me. There are two 7kW sockets at the Royal Hospital. Website describes them as being "for staff use" but there's no notice to that effect and I attracted no attention when I've used it a couple of times (it wasn't that I needed the charge but it's free parking at the charger rather than exorbitant rates for a spot even further away from entrance in the visitors' car parks).

Coming soon there should be a rapid charger at the Engenie/Marstons site adjacent to M1 J29A

·
Registered
701 Posts
I stopped off at the new Lidl today. Still no sign of a rapid charger but the large box at the back of this photo might just be the 3ph HV distribution box that would be needed to support a new charger. However it's huge compared to similar bits of kit fitted near other chargers ! Does anyone recognise it and can comment on its function ?

IMG_LidlHVswitch.jpg

Nothing else in the car park looking remotely like a charger or supporting kit I'm afraid and I couldn't get any closer for a better view.

·
Registered
4,264 Posts
I stopped off at the new Lidl today. Still no sign of a rapid charger but the large box at the back of this photo might just be the 3ph HV distribution box that would be needed to support a new charger. However it's huge compared to similar bits of kit fitted near other chargers ! Does anyone recognise it and can comment on its function ?

View attachment 120098

Nothing else in the car park looking remotely like a charger or supporting kit I'm afraid and I couldn't get any closer for a better view.
It might be for the whole site.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Well, that is progress. At least one complete desert will be improved. There is also a 2x 7kW at The Peacock in Barlow - damned inconvenient, as you need to sit and eat a meal or buy beer to get the token, but sacrifices have to be made sometimes!

I hope someone in the council in Buxton (another desert) is watching!

·
Registered
701 Posts
It might be for the whole site.
Yes, assuming it is a bit of electrical kit (I'm still not sure), I thought that too. But it doesn't seem very close to the building nor is it where you'd expect to see an underground cable arriving at the site so it could well suggest that a large electricity user outside the building is expected to be added.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll be cycling past again tomorrow as I do every Tuesday morning going to over 60s footy (no, not walking) so I'll have another look. I did go to the planning committee which approved the new Lidl and the plans showed a charger and two ev parking spaces but things can change from concept to construction

·
Registered
701 Posts
Afraid it's not looking very promising !

Details of the planning application (CHE/19/00178) are available online. One of the documents is the 'surfacing plan' for the site :-
https://publicaccess.chesterfield.gov.uk/online-applications/files/5923D85711DD59F82316FB10DA754807/pdf/CHE_19_00178_NMA-SURFACING_PLAN-186682.pdf

That clearly shows some spaces marked as disabled and others as parent & child but none are marked EV Only.

The red box adjacent to the staff parking area near Southern boundary is indeed a substation and I assume it's the large box I photographed yesterday - it's named on another site plan which I haven't bothered linking as it isn't especially helpful to this topic.

·
Registered
701 Posts
I've been away for a few days which included a couple of visits to other Lidl sites. Somewhat cheered to see a green box similar to the one I commented on at Chesterfield a few days ago when I visited their store at Swalwell. Took a few photos to compare and will try and add them here in a day or two's time (if I haven't abandoned the site before then !)

·
Registered
701 Posts
Photo above was from Knaresorough.

These two photos were taken at Swalwell (Just off A1 a couple of miles N of Metro centre). They show a much larger 'substation' not unlike the one just installed at Chesterfield.

·
Registered
701 Posts
The charger at Swalwell is connected to a large green box just like the one installed at Chesterfield at a point shown on the plan as "substation".

Still no sign of any rapid charger at Chesterfield but it looks as though a tarmac gang are about to start work so there may be some helpful markings next time I look.

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
The large green box could be a substation, as unlike the gray box it does not have a 415 volt warning notice on it.

·
Registered
701 Posts
The large green box could be a substation, as unlike the gray box it does not have a 415 volt warning notice on it.
Why would the absence of a warning notice suggest it being a substation ? One of them would surely have at least 415V and very likely 11kV inside it

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
Sorry having a 415V warning notice shows that the otherone is not a substation as a substation would have a 11kv warning notice, or a notice that does not stake the voltage.

·
Registered
482 Posts

View attachment 120098

According to the amended planning application they are no longer installing EV charge points. How did they get that past planning?

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
According to the amended planning application they are no longer installing EV charge points. How did they get that past planning?
That's not good at all - I was looking forward to using that as I do when I visit LIDL in Scarborough.
Ah well - will just have to charge at Monkey Park Community Hub & get a nice fairtrade coffee in while I wait :-D

·
Registered
3 Posts
Looking at the plans the EV charging has been replaced by the cycle parking. Looks like it's one or the other in LIDL world. Need to have a chat with the cycle campaign to ensure that we don't campaign against each other inadvertently...

1 - 20 of 35 Posts