Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

I am off to Tenby tomorrow for a working/long weekend away with the Wife, Daughter and Mother-in-Law.

We would have normally gone the M42/M50 and either A40 or M4 depending on whether I fancied the scenic route or not. However due to no charging along the M50 (Strensham Services would be perfect for getting in and out of Wales) I think we need to go down the M5 and over the bridge on the M4... adding over 25 miles to the total journey.

Bear in mind 3 adults, 1 child and luggage for 3 nights (or 2 weeks having just seen my wife's case).

My only conundrum:
Can I make it from our home all the way to Hopwood Services on M42 (83.5 Miles) or do I need to stop at M42 J10 Moto Services (56.5 Miles). I will leave with 100% charge and can preheat if required.

I would need to stop at Hopwood no matter what I think but then I should in theory be OK from there....:rolleyes:

Hopwood
> 61 Miles
Michael Wood South (M5)
> 60 Miles
J36 Welcome break (M4)
> 32 Miles
Roadchef Pont Abraham (M4 End)
> 40 Miles
Monkstone Point Tenby

The last stop is a bit of a comfort blanket as it gets a little hilly after Carmarthen and also if I arrive late evening may not be able to find an overnight charge.

I would be excited,however I have my over critical MIL who will be ready to pounce should it be too much of an inconvenience.... And I am sooo close to convincing them to go for a PHEV as they do this same route to their caravan at least 4 times a year.

Wish me luck!:eek:

·
Premium Member
1,347 Posts
I definitely wouldn't risk an 83.5 mile leg – no contingency. Play safe and stop on the M42.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did a 60 mile stretch of the M1 the other day and it pretty much appeared as though i was get a mile for every %.

I was being quite careful hiding behind anything i could and sometimes on long downhills cruising in Neutral.

I am quite confident that i can aim for Hopwood and decide at the last minute if i need to pull off as i know the route well.

·
Super Moderator
7,617 Posts
83 miles would need you to drive about 50mph. Even your 60 mile stretches would need you to go 65mph (or less if you don't have an hour or more to wait for the Rapids to get you to 100%)

Sounds like a fairly un-fun 8+hour trip :(

Reactions: Kevin Sharpe

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It does indeed... i was hoping to test this particular run out on my own first but when the Mrs heard i was going to wales for a few meetings she decides to invite the inlaws for a weekend...

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Yes 83 miles is definitely doable driven with care. I would do it (did 90 miles Telford to chievely services).

Heavy rain / head winds will make it tight though. Heavy traffic / temp 50 speed limits make it comfortable.

And you can spend £12 on Starbucks when you get there paid for from the petrol saved....;)

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
I think I would have a 15-minute top-up at Hopwood. It just gives you a lot more flexibility in the event of something not working.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Hi Guys,
Hopwood
> 61 Miles
Michael Wood South (M5)
> 60 Miles
J36 Welcome break (M4)
> 32 Miles
Roadchef Pont Abraham (M4 End)
> 40 Miles
Monkstone Point Tenby
Thanks for the itinerary from Hopwood. I was thinking about a trip to Tenby when the BEV arrives.

·
Premium Member
446 Posts
I'd do the additional stop - it just gives you additional contingency for the rest of the journey.
So @nuWorld Energy good luck - let us know how you get on.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
People with more experience, overall does it break even between faster driving (65) with more stops or slower driving (50-55) with less stops?

I cant decide.

·
Premium Member
446 Posts
Even though my ZOE rapid charges up to 98% before showing any noticeable slowing, I still think it's quicker to drive steady rather than fast and charge less often, or for shorter time.
I generally stick to 60mph as a result. I'd guess that it makes even more sense with the LEAF as your rapid charge beyond 80% is much slower.
Of course once on the final run to home (where you know you can rely on the charger working) I do wind it up a bit

Reactions: John2

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Averaging less than 35mph and at risk of stranding with the outlaws, I think I'd take the ICE :rolleyes:
Given the saving of £70 plus in fuel costs, the avoided emission of particulates that contribute to cardiac arrest, the avoidance of co2 emissions,
the possibility that you may well want to take some comfort breaks in a 250 mile journey anyway, I would take the Leaf...

Just saying....;)

·
Super Moderator
7,617 Posts
Given the saving of £70 plus in fuel costs, the avoided emission of particulates that contribute to cardiac arrest, the avoidance of co2 emissions,
the possibility that you may well want to take some comfort breaks in a 250 mile journey anyway, I would take the Leaf...

Just saying....;)
I probably would, if I was on my own, and wasn't time bound. After all the 3 hours spent charging I could simply read a book in the car rather than at home (or browse the web etc). But with passengers, luggage, a work event I -need- to attend.... nope.

Reactions: Bikerchickone

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
I probably would, if I was on my own, and wasn't time bound. After all the 3 hours spent charging I could simply read a book in the car rather than at home (or browse the web etc). But with passengers, luggage, a work event I -need- to attend.... nope.
I take your point. Did similar trips from Telford to Southampton and back in a day. Once by myself. Then with 3 non ev aware passengers for a timed appt to view a micro anaerobic digestor. We made it. But was more stressful for sure!

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
You'd need your passengers to buy into the whole 'hey, let's take a break!' thing.

Plus, all those bodies breathing will mean the heating stays on for de-misting.

The furthest I've pushed my gen 1.5 leaf Acenta is 89 miles, but that was in the dry and I was flying solo.

·
Registered
219 Posts
People with more experience, overall does it break even between faster driving (65) with more stops or slower driving (50-55) with less stops?

I cant decide.
Not sure if you've seen Ecotricity's tweet guys: Taunton Deane North, Bridgwater (on M5) and Chieveley (on M4) are currently down - map being updated later.

Thanks
^GH

1 - 20 of 30 Posts