Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
I agree... not a pretty sight but we don't know the facts. remember the guy that caused a bit of a stir in the USA when he was arrested for plugging in at his child's school? Everyone in the EV world was up in arms... until the facts came out and there was a lot more history to it than first reported.

I don't like to see that happen to anyone but until we get the facts of the case we would do well not to be too keen to jump to conclusions. It was in a shared parking environment and it is quite possible that there was already some bad feeling there that they were charging prior to this event.

I certainly don't think this is in any way relevant to public charging IMO.

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It might be, it might not be, but I don't care about motivations, that's just wrong, I'm not an "eye for an eye" guy, even if they've done something petty to provoke it.

·
Registered
991 Posts
On a vaguely related note, spent the weekend in London and near Bankside there was a Source London post with a charge cable locked into the post and wrapped around it, no car in the bay and no lights on the post. I'm surprised that the cables can't be forcibly removed, are they that well secured that you have to abandon them if the post has an issue?

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Someone (can't remember who) had there cable trapped by a post. They took a crow bar to the post flap... soon came free!

·
Banned
3,715 Posts
I'm surprised that the cables can't be forcibly removed, are they that well secured that you have to abandon them if the post has an issue?
If it's a Type 2 cable then it's locked into the post with a ~3mm thick pin and I'm not sure what would give first if you forced a removal. If your cable locks into the car then my advice is to 'dremel' out the Charging Station connector so that it can be removed when the post fails... whenever we are in London we see one or two abandoned cables and the occasional 'jemmied' flap :(

·
Banned
3,715 Posts
It will be interesting to see what the back story is... looking at the photo I can see no evidence of burning or other damage to the wires or insulation which would imply the car was not in a 'connected' state when cut.... I guess its possible the car was plugged in but not on charge but I'm not convinced :rolleyes:

Reading more about the story the article says the "Volt activated its alarm and alerted the couple via mobile-phone app that its charging connection had been interrupted" which would suggest the cable was live when cut... I would have expected some visible charing but guess the 'assailant' was lucky if they didn't find a body :D

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
There are two alarms on the Volt/Ampera IIRC... one is the interrupted charge alarm which sounds if it is charging and the charged stops through power failure... the other is stolen cable alarm which sounds if the plug is removed from the car.

I don't use either so I am no expert on the Ampera/Volt alarms :)

The other thing of note is that in the UK we would not get an email... this feature is provided by OnStar which we don't have in the UK. This kind of functionality is available though through OVMS

·
Registered
5,109 Posts
I think that (assuming the story is accurate at all) the assailant must have at least unplugged from the wall socket. That explains the lack of charring on the cable and also the lack of dead bodies.

I think the power loss alert is off by default (but I haven't checked), if so they may also have unplugged from the car (setting off the stolen cable alarm), or perhaps I'm wrong.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts