Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Back in the very warm weather that we had in the UK recently, after a long journey I noted how cool it had become inside the centre console. That is the box that sits under the lift-up armrest. just wondered, has anyone else noticed this or is it kind of a freak occurrence thing?

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
I would guess that it is at best accidental. Was just curious that it felt pretty cool.

Registered
E-Niro 64kWh '4' since 22/9/20 (was Prius)
It seems pretty unlikely to me (that it is actually cooled). I think if it was they would surely list it as a great selling feature? I鈥檝e not read it anywhere.

It may just be a fairly well insulated compartment and keep the daytime cabin heat out? It does have the sliding cover too.

Peter

Registered
If you hunt you will find a square hole at the front of the box to allow kit outside to connect with the USB socket inside. It is not too obvious.

Was this odd hole directly in line with the AC outlet under the dash so the cool air blew in directly?

Registered
Many years ago I had a Peugeot 3008 which did actively cool the centre (armrest) box. Used to get quite cold in there when the A/C was working hard on a hot day.

Registered
2018 e-Golf
Great feature if so! Our egolf has a blower in the glove box which is very handy for a cool drink or 2.

Registered
My dealer told me the hole was for ventilation purposes but I didn't believe him at the time. Perhaps he was correct.

Registered
Do you think it might be due to the vents on the console for the rear passengers, it is probably channelled under the console.

Registered
My dealer told me the hole was for ventilation purposes but I didn't believe him at the time. Perhaps he was correct.
The hole is to allow a usb cable from the dash to enter that compartment.

Registered
The OP stated it was the compartment under the arm rest. The posts about the hole at the front relate to a different compartment, the one with the sliding lid.

Premium Member
Many years ago I had a Peugeot 3008 which did actively cool the centre (armrest) box. Used to get quite cold in there when the A/C was working hard on a hot day.
The Superb has a chilled armrest box as well as a chilled glovebox. It鈥檚 great, you can get 3 or 4 cans in there.

Registered
Discussion Starter #14
Do you think it might be due to the vents on the console for the rear passengers, it is probably channelled under the console.
This is what I assumed had made it cooler in there. I presumed that it wasn't a feature, just accidental. Wondered if anyone else had noticed the same phenomena?

Registered
E-Niro 64kWh '4' since 22/9/20 (was Prius)
This is what I assumed had made it cooler in there. I presumed that it wasn't a feature, just accidental. Wondered if anyone else had noticed the same phenomena?
If that is the case, then presumably in winter with heating on high, the console box will become warm for the same reason?

Peter

Registered
If you hunt you will find a square hole at the front of the box to allow kit outside to connect with the USB socket inside. It is not too obvious.

Was this odd hole directly in line with the AC outlet under the dash so the cool air blew in directly?
Ahh! So that鈥檚 what it鈥檚 for!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts