Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
China's Micro-EV market is taking off with cars available for £5,000 and even £1,200!
The China EV market is split in two, (i) PHEVs for taxi drivers (who never actually charge them, but due to policy and subsidy these are the only ways to get a car immediately and start business as an 'uber' taxi driver), and (ii) Micro EVs. For city slickers there is this Beijing Lite, much more interesting.... [V车评]精灵小可爱 试驾北汽新能源LITE _高清在线观看_百度视频 , kind of like a Smart.

For people wanting basic mobility, this video shows super low cost vehicles, down to £1,200, which are within reach of people in the countryside where there is no public transport, although China's countryside has the population of our cities....
Interesting video from Wall Street Journal

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
OK so these things cost £1,200 and are kind of high-speed enclosed mobility scooters. But they do challenge a lot of paradigms. For instance, why can't all cars be banned from city centres and you have these things at park and rides? No buses, no taxis, no cars, just these on shared useage schemes, like Boris bikes. We are asking people to pay £30,000 for a BEV using a traditional vehicle ownership paradigm, perhaps we need to change the way we think.....

·
Zoe Devotee
9,129 Posts
I take it they know the orange chevy/daewoo matiz they kept zooming in on wasn't one of those tiny electric death boxes?

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Its hard to say because a lot of things get copied in China..... did you notice the vehicle driven by the lady with the baby in her lap has a BMW grill? Out in the countryside, every town is like its own tiny universe where anything goes. The Matiz was once copied in its entirety by Chery, who at the time was owned by GM's China JV partner, SAIC! GM sued but there are copies of everything, there is a perfect Discovery copy now called Land Wind.....

I take it they know the orange chevy/daewoo matiz they kept zooming in on wasn't one of those tiny electric death boxes?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Calling these "death boxes" is a bit pointless really. They are no more dangerous than all motorbikes and all push bikes, surely? These provide no driver or passenger protection, and yet people still use them a lot.

·
Registered
586 Posts
It’s like a window into another universe where the G-Wiz caught on...

Due to air quality in China sales of Petrol and diesel cars are restricted and big EVs are expensive, this is their solution.

·
Zoe Devotee
9,129 Posts
Calling these "death boxes" is a bit pointless really. They are no more dangerous than all motorbikes and all push bikes, surely? These provide no driver or passenger protection, and yet people still use them a lot.
I'll stick by my claim. On a motorbike or push bike there is a very slim chance you'll be thown off and survive (i'm not going to kid you'll be in good shape), but in those "cars" it'll be a case of scraping up the goop that's left after dissembling the vehicle.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts