Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see there’s a LR M3 listed as final assembly in China on @Jon G s excellent Tesla-Info site. I knew some SR+ were coming to Europe in LHD, didn’t realise there were RHD LR coming too. As I understand it, the Chinese ID is VIN based, so should be correct.

·
Registered
105 Posts
What are we expecting from the Chinese built models? Better/worse build quality, different battery, range?

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
Generally better build quality. Range and interior will be improved as it’s the facelift.

Reactions: burnt_crisps2

·
Registered
105 Posts
Yeah but the 2021 models all have those advantages (leccy boot, double glazing, new centre console etc etc). Guess we'll have to wait for a Bjorne test

·
Registered
78 Posts
Isn't the other most interesting thing here the price drop? If I price this car in the configurator it comes up at £50,440 yet this one is showing for £48,870 and it's in transit so it's not slow moving inventory.

That's a 3% price drop...

I'm guessing this isn't the 82kwh Panasonic battery seen in Germany and is probably the 75kwh LG Chem, rather than the Panasonic. But it may well have the heated steering wheel and the wood trim in the doors which seems to be the next pending update for "2021".

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I’d noticed the price drop too. Judging by Bjørn’s testing, this LG battery looks good. This car doesn’t show as Chinese built on the Tesla site, or if you click ‘buy’. I’d understood that EU buyers of the first batch delivered had some indication they were getting a Chinese built one on their order forms..

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Wow... not seen a china car in the UK before. VIN is china which is how I usually tell and assembly in China - didn't know they were making RHD or exporting LR

I'll do a bit more digging later... but battery pack being a BT38 is also new, BT37 is the old one and BT42 is the new slightly larger 82kwh one on the M3P

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Jon, I knew you’d have some insight. Is the BT38 the LG one fitted to the 2021 Model 3 LR coming from Fremont, or is that a new code to?

·
Registered
357 Posts
Wow... not seen a china car in the UK before. VIN is china which is how I usually tell and assembly in China - didn't know they were making RHD or exporting LR

I'll do a bit more digging later... but battery pack being a BT38 is also new, BT37 is the old one and BT42 is the new slightly larger 82kwh one on the M3P
SR+ from China will have the LFP batteries, what I've seen from someone in Germany it doesn't look good on the SC front. I will be ready to order again soon but unsure which SR+ I would get when I order. Tesla seem to just change things without notice.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
LFP batteries seem dire - I’ve written a blog based on findings a good friend in Switzerland experienced when he bought one (and sent back within the week). They were discounting them by 5000CHF but as they are 2020 models and Fremont 2020 cars are now discounted, it’s hard to justify. The LFP battery is physically bigger for the capacity so I can’t see it being used in anything other than the Std range car.

·
Registered
357 Posts
LFP batteries seem dire - I’ve written a blog based on findings a good friend in Switzerland experienced when he bought one (and sent back within the week). They were discounting them by 5000CHF but as they are 2020 models and Fremont 2020 cars are now discounted, it’s hard to justify. The LFP battery is physically bigger for the capacity so I can’t see it being used in anything other than the Std range car.
Kinda putting me off getting one, by the time I order that will be the change over for RHD made in china SR+. 😭

·
Registered
357 Posts
Looks like they maybe on the way

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So it does indeed look like the Chinese built SR+ is coming to UK. Configurator updated yesterday to show increased range to 278 miles, new wrap around door cappings and the return of white interior option.

I’m trying to work out whether the LFP battery is good or not. There was a lot of chatter based on a single report that was repeatedly reported on, suggesting charging & low range problems in the cold. So is battery heating not happening with LFP? Will be good to know what the majority with LFP in France, Germany etc have found.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
So it does indeed look like the Chinese built SR+ is coming to UK. Configurator updated yesterday to show increased range to 278 miles, new wrap around door cappings and the return of white interior option.

I’m trying to work out whether the LFP battery is good or not. There was a lot of chatter based on a single report that was repeatedly reported on, suggesting charging & low range problems in the cold. So is battery heating not happening with LFP? Will be good to know what the majority with LFP in France, Germany etc have found.
A friend of mine bought a China SR+ in Switzerland - he’s an experienced owner having another Tesla and been an owner fir a few years, he said it was dreadful and sent it back.

Key issues were real world charging rates were poor and range was down. If the LFP batteries were better, why don’t they use them more?

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
21,583 Posts
Key issues were real world charging rates were poor and range was down. If the LFP batteries were better, why don’t they use them more?
Of course it might just be a software limitation until they gather more data, as per the early SR+ cars.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It could be that, and Bjorn N said the same when he was testing the latest LR, hopefully things will speed up when they have more data. But, what if @Jon G friend's experience is the norm? There's no guarantee that Tesla are just beta testing the battery whilst they gather user data (a bit unfair on the new owner tbh). This may be the best it gets.

I presume the don't use LFP more because of the additional weight and lower energy density. If it can perform well, it does seem a good option for SR. I like the idea of a cobalt-free battery tbh.

1 - 20 of 105 Posts