Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

This is aimed at people in older EVs where they are up against the range limit in winter.
Have you seen the chinese diesel heaters?
Mostly used by vanlifers and campers.
Some are installing then in EVs now and getting good results.
They are very cheap.
all you need to install is route the exhaust out the cabin and mount it so it won't melt things.
Seems easy.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
7,101 Posts
Don't buy the Chinese ones, buy the original and best Eberspächer models.
One issue with all of these in EVs is where to mount the (red) diesel tank.

·
Registered
5,488 Posts
Hi

This is aimed at people in older EVs where they are up against the range limit in winter.
They are very cheap.
all you need to install is route the exhaust out the cabin and mount it so it won't melt things.
Seems easy.
As per 1st reply, don't fit fake Chinese heater: I've fitted a genuine Webasto. If your car goes up in smoke the 100 odd pound you saved will have been a poor choice. Secondly, over time the heater will need servicing and diagnostics. The Webasto and "Espatch" manufacturers provide spares and proper troubleshooting codes.

·
Super Moderator
7,505 Posts
Hi

They are very cheap.
Seems easy.
Some peeps with Ion/Imiev/Czero have fitted them, and I considered it for a while on my 2011 Leaf. Didn’t stack up in the end for me, maybe one day it’ll get a pack extender from Muxsan instead, seems a nicer solution.

·
Registered
2018 Nissan Leaf 40kWh Tekna - love it
1,218 Posts
Are these Chinese heaters CE marked. If they are, they should be OK

·
Registered
ID3 Life
188 Posts
The CE mark isn't really anything to do with quality of a given product. The 'chinese' heaters are fine in so much as they generally do what they are meant to, the question is how long they will continue to do so and what are the safety issues when they fail. They are not built to the same quality as the established brands they are copies of but hey, they are not going to be as they are a lot less. You can replace the cheapest ones 4 or 5 times for the cost of an Eberspächer.

The issue as I see it is not so much the lesser quality at the outset, you pays your money and all that, but these things are creating heat by means of burning fuel whilst you are in an enclosed vehicle (I'm talking about camper usage here), and possibly whilst sleeping. I use cheap knock off batteries for my cameras as they are a lot cheaper and although not a good as the proper ones they last long enough. However, I will only charge them when I'm nearby and certainly not overnight when I'm asleep. Therefore there's no way I'd be comfortable sleeping in my campervan with a build quality lottery heater ticking over all night.

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
Are these Chinese heaters CE marked. If they are, they should be OK
That's a poor assumption. CE is obtained by self certification, cross referencing design data against the CE standards for the product. It does not require independent review. It does not require independent test. It does not ensure products are manufactured to that standard. There risk of any Chinese manufacturer being penalised for invalid CE certification are slim to none. The risk I with the Chinese manufacturer, not the European distributor that claims blissful ignorance.

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
Also they just tend to slap CE on stuff in the knowledge nobody will check, and they’re outside that jurisdiction anyway.

·
Registered
5,488 Posts
That's a poor assumption. CE is obtained by self certification, cross referencing design data against the CE standards for the product. It does not require independent review. It does not require independent test. It does not ensure products are manufactured to that standard. There risk of any Chinese manufacturer being penalised for invalid CE certification are slim to none. The risk I with the Chinese manufacturer, not the European distributor that claims blissful ignorance.
CE or Chinese Export?

·
Registered
333 Posts
Lots of things from China have things printed on them, but it means nothing in most cases. They're the world's biggest producer of fake items after all. As the other posters said: don't waste your money on a Chinese one as there's probably no comeback whatsoever if things go wrong.
Webasto and Eberspacher cost more but advantages such as quality, safety, customer service and spare parts support. I just checked their prices: over £1000! 😟
Good luck OP, whatever you decide. Bear in mind such modifications may affect your insurance.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Don't forget though that there would be a massive cost to refusing to buy CE marked goods from China. For some items it is nigh on impossible to find a non Chinese alternative.
I might try one out to heat my garage.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
The usual repost for that sort of thing. Does that also apply if you put one in a car. I guess so.

·
Registered
476 Posts
its not the heater that reduces your range, its the battery's temperature. Unless you're going to point the diesel heater at the underneath of your car before you take off in the morning. its pointless

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
I believe the op was concerned about loss of range caused by using the battery for pre- heating in smaller battery cars.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I think you would gain a decent bit of range 5-10% cos return journey these no preheat.
Would be more if you do multiple journeys or if no heat pump.

·
Registered
100 Posts
The Chinese heaters work good in a Leaf. Made mine in a suitcase so it can go in the car, also for the garage or other outdoor locations. I would recommend a CO monitor in the cabin, I think you have to be very careful with the exhaust sealing and exit.

While the battery heat may be low when you start out, after a few rapid charges it warms up, and then the extra range from the diesel heater is helpful. Else I used to drive with no heat, and passengers seem not to like this much in Scotland winters. The heaters only need 12v supply and an exhaust outlet.

Australian chap on YouTube reviews all aspects of them very well. "John McK 47"

1 - 19 of 19 Posts