Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally took a test drive at my local dealer, car was great, even as a fairly low spec car, but got a call a couple of days later saying that due to chip shortages delivery times were very delayed beyond the initial P45s and dealer demo cars.

Best he could tell my car wasn't even built yet and if the chip shortage improves it "might get here before Christmas" but he couldn't offer any certainty of that, or of anything else tbh. If I want to downgrade to a lower spec car they might be able to grab me one from somewhere but that's the best they can do.

Anyone else hearing this from their dealer?
Is it effecting any other manufacturers?

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
They haven't even announced pricing in the US yet... chip shortage, battery supply constraints, etc. are pushing lead times out into 2022 already.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have one on order. Ordered on 1st August. At the time the estimated delivery time was 2nd September but the dates have been removed due to chip shortages. They have no idea when my car will be delivered

·
Registered
Jaguar i-Pace 21MY
1,777 Posts
Anyone else hearing this from their dealer?
Is it effecting any other manufacturers?
Yes all manufs whether auto industry or other, severely affected by chip shortages. Unlikely to change for better till 2022 onwards. If you want an Ioniq 5 ASAP, take whatever you can get hold of that is available now.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I’m going for a test drive tomorrow. If I like what I see I’ll probably place an order. I don’t need the car till then end of March next year though, so I’m hoping that will give them enough time.

·
Registered
607 Posts
The P45s were meant to be delivered in May/June but delayed due to the chip shortages , so only just arrived in the last 4 weeks. And as others above have stated, many models from many manufacturers affected or certain features missing even , and not just the auto industry but many different industries. Will be many months before it is back to normal. And hopefully it will ensure countries will start to learn from this, especially since the Pandemic, that we are all not so reliant on a tiny number of manufacturers in a tiny number of countries that are producing very important parts that we all need. As an NHS worker we have also been told recently, there will be a shortage of blood bottles and to limit or stop some of our testing until it sorts itself out.😳 But may take 3 months! We (the UK) have to start producing stuff like this ourselves again. It is a very sad state of affairs.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
They've always been a big chip manufacturer. Chips, cars, lorries, ships, solar panels and just about anything else you could mention.

·
Registered
413 Posts
There’s talk over on Ioniqforum that a parts shortage, specifically small motors, has lead to Hyundai having to ship non-P45 models with non-motorised door handles. That means that rather than flipping out when you press the button on the keyfob or get close to the car, you have to press the handle with your finger to get it to pivot out before you can pull it to open the door with presumably your other hand, unless you’re a contortionist.

This seems to affects all trims, so Premium and Ultimate, with or without Tech pack.

·
Registered
15 Posts
There’s talk over on Ioniqforum that a parts shortage, specifically small motors, has lead to Hyundai having to ship non-P45 models with non-motorised door handles. That means that rather than flipping out when you press the button on the keyfob or get close to the car, you have to press the handle with your finger to get it to pivot out before you can pull it to open the door with presumably your other hand, unless you’re a contortionist.

This seems to affects all trims, so Premium and Ultimate, with or without Tech pack.
Won't be happy if that is the case have an Ultimate with tech pack on its way, something like that I would have expected to be told about but considering how poorly Hyundai has been getting info out not surprised.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Won't be happy if that is the case have an Ultimate with tech pack on its way, something like that I would have expected to be told about but considering how poorly Hyundai has been getting info out not surprised.
I’ve got a standard Premium coming in the next 10 days. I assumed they all came with motorised handles as the operation is really clumsy without them. The dealer assured me at time of ordering that my car would be exactly the same as their demo, and they were definitely motorised on there. I didn’t specifically raise it at the time as I had no idea this may become an issue. I’m going to give him a call tomorrow and ask him to see what he can find out.

·
Registered
21 Posts
The thing is that none of the non-P45 UK cars were supposed to have them, that's how it's been on the spec list from the beginning. Problem is that the first batch of Premium cars delivered did have them for some reason and dealers told people that other cars would be like that which leads to the confusion we have now.

·
Registered
15 Posts
The thing is that none of the non-P45 UK cars were supposed to have them, that's how it's been on the spec list from the beginning. Problem is that the first batch of Premium cars delivered did have them for some reason and dealers told people that other cars would be like that which leads to the confusion we have now.
I think we are getting confused over the issue, in my eyes the P45 had a feature when you approached the door handles popped open automatically and you could open the door which is fine, I think the premium one I saw the handles only popped out on their own when it was unlocked and was not a manual option to open.

Now if it is a case that is not happening on new build cars then that is a downgrade if it requires to hands to open the door, and if that feature has been removed it should have been communicated.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I think we are getting confused over the issue, in my eyes the P45 had a feature when you approached the door handles popped open automatically and you could open the door which is fine, I think the premium one I saw the handles only popped out on their own when it was unlocked and was not a manual option to open.

Now if it is a case that is not happening on new build cars then that is a downgrade if it requires to hands to open the door, and if that feature has been removed it should have been communicated.
I can't imagine why they would make the unlock on approach (and door handles popping out) a P45 only thing if it was only software, it leads me to think that they were the only ones meant to have motors in the door handles that pop them out. I didn't get a chance to check out the settings on the premium demo car to see if it had approach unlock though, it certainly wasn't turned on if it did but I think other dealers' cars did do that.

·
Registered
413 Posts
As I understand it, now the P45’s are all sold, it is not possible to order a car to UK spec to include the motorised handles. It’s not even an option. They’ve just confused the whole issue by giving every dealer a Premium as a demonstrator with a feature fitted that is unavailable. That’s bad enough, but then not to communicate the unavailability is ridiculous. When I ordered my Premium the dealer was at pains to point out that it would come “exactly the same as the demonstrator”, which just makes him look daft.

Compound this with the fact that the non-motorised handles are really clunky to operate and there are going to be a lot of unhappy customers.

·
Registered
21 Posts
The issue really comes from the confusion arising from the demo cars being built with them for some reason, and of course dealers demonstrating the excellent honesty and product knowledge that they're known for. I don't think the handle is an inherently bad design though, I mean owners of Nissan GT-Rs, Astons, and Model 3s have had them for years and they seem to be surviving just fine.

·
Registered
413 Posts
That’s an accurate summary of the situation I think.

It looks like each country gets a smorgasbord of features that can be added to the car to make up each trim level they decide to offer. You’d expect that in a country like the UK every feature would be available somewhere in the range, albeit perhaps as part of an option pack, but as we saw with the sunroof, that doesn’t have to be the case. I imagine in Ireland, where you can specify the sunroof, some other feature is unavailable.

This is all well-and-good, even having the P45 as a limited edition with every possible feature fitted is understandable, but then to mess up so badly as to fit a feature that is totally unavailable to cars that you then send to all your dealers as demonstrators - well that’s beyond incompetence.

What makes it even more annoying for me is that obviously some non-demo cars have made it through with the auto handles. I don’t suppose my dealer will be offering a discount because a feature that is not meant to be there is missing, but by the same token I don’t suppose other dealers will be charging extra for those cars that have come with it fitted.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts