Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Great to see this today. A Leaf and an Outlander using both charge points when I arrived in my Leaf.

Am here through work and have about 40 miles of driving left to do with perhaps 50% left so should be fine.

The leaf is charging and down to one led.

The Outlander I am not sure how to tell if it is actively charging. Would like to think they are aiming to be back and move the car when fully charged. No contact numbers in either window.

Mainly this is a good news story. I am thrilled that there are 3 ev's in the car park of a sleepy Shropshire town with a population of 8,000.

But also a reminder of a need in the future to find a solution to the availability of the existing ev charging infrastructure....both through increasing infrastructure, possibly charging, and I would hope a culture of good communication and sharing between ev drivers.

Attachments

·
Registered
103 Posts
Oops, that's me on the left. Had a 2 hour P&D ticket so got back for that. Will try and remember phone number in future... Saw the new points advertised and that was enough excuse for a trip. Great base for walking day so more points needed. Made a point of making positive comments in the tourist office, shops and cafe about the new facility. Agree with your points about live availability. Deb

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Deb! Am genuinely delighted to see these new points so well used! Well done you for giving the feedback locally will really help.

Had a quick chat with a Fiat driver. He said he normally parks in those bays - hopefully he won't now he knows they are used and how!

Yes noticed the time of the tickets on yours and the Mitsubishi (1800). Would have been encouraging had I been relying on the charge. As it was have just got home with 12% left having driven 92 miles from my overnight charge so no worries.

Mon to Fri there is also a zero carbon world post at the Burway Garage available, office hours , no card needed.

The Copper Kettle and The Stiperstones Inn have also been talking about having charging. And 24 hour charging in Shrewsbury promised by the council.

Must have just missed you - shame! - we left at 3. Hope you are loving your Leaf. And few better places for hill walking :)

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh....and have yet to remember to leave my number in the dash when charging...but will try to now more ev's are about!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Cheers Steve. Absolutely delighted with my Leaf. Did I just see you in a leaf heading to Lawley or who?

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hah! Quite possibly! If it was a white one that looks grey as it needs a wash then yes....;)

Promise I am not following you, I live in Telford!

Glad you love your Leaf :)

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi Jason hope you are well! No was working. Took some of the guys I work with to Church Stretton for the afternoon. They love a cafe there called Berrys, and getting out to the countryside - is lovely in those hills. And I have learned through the years how much impact social isolation can have on the mental health of people I work with - so when I can I get them out socially in small groups. I am sure they often get more from their time with each other than with paid workers like me. And I get to hace eyes on how a number of our people are doing in a time effective way Pick up on needs if anyone is struggling.

In recent weeks the Church Stretton posts have been a handy extra and a nice talking point with my passengers. But would never go there in work hours relying on the charge. And was SO good to see both bays occupied by ev's actively charging on a Saturday afternoon.

The volunteers of Stretton Climate Care deserve an awful lot of credit for making this happen :)

How many miles are you up to now Jason? The Church Stretton posts are 24 hours might be worth keeping in mind - pim and chargemaster cards / apps accepted and free currently other than the parking fee.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
E Geeza, great to hear you are using this post too. Are you Shropshire based or were you passing through?

Great to see increased ev use locally. Every ev mile means less polluted air, less particulates, less cardiac distress....and less money per mile spent by the driver ;) .

I am a terminal optimist, but it does feel like there is a real sense of momentum around people choosing to drive ev's.... :)

·
Registered
103 Posts
Steve, we were eating in Berry's, so I probably walked right past you! Small EV world and a rather tasty Broccoli and Shropshire blue soup I might add :)

Reactions: Steve Thayne

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes it really is a small world!

My passengers ate in Berrys. These days my employer Shropshire Council won't even pay for a coffee when I am with clients - so I took the opportunity of taking my unpaid lunch break!

I do eat in Berrys when not working though. Locally sourced food, rooms completely different from each other and full of charachter and staff that obviously like their work so are a delight :)

Eating at Berrys while charging your Leaf sounds like a great use of your Saturday to me!

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
This Berrys place sounds like a great recommendation.

I meant Steve had you been CAR shopping? Last I saw you, you were in a LEAF.

I have been away for a month. When I left I was around the 14K mark since end of Feb. I loaned the car to the fleet manager at work so goodness knows what she's put on it - I do know through CarWings that she I'd charging it daily.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
No I intend to stick with the Leaf until at least the 5 years it takes to own it. Am 11 months and 20,000 miles in so far. The Outlander belonged to an unknown person.

Yes Berrys is great. Is tucked away down a side street though is signed from a main street in Church Stretton.

Ah ok....so you haven't been doing the regular run to Shropshire recently!

·
886 Posts
E Geeza, great to hear you are using this post too. Are you Shropshire based or were you passing through?
Passing through, (en route to the mid Wales charge desert!)- actually spent longer there than originally intended due to a planned charge at Leominster not working.

Apparently the 'roaming' ability of my charge card won't work with every PIM charge point as someone in a back office has been tardy in updating the whitelist...

A pleasant place to fetch up though, and the local economy had a few £ it wouldn't otherwise have received!

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
I've had a change around of customers and trying to wean Shropshire off.

For the month or so leading up to my hols I was in Shrewsbury on a Monday then down to London via Watford Gap & London Gateway. A couple of days there and back to Cheltenham via Membury. Thursdays & Fridays were then a quick pop down to Swindon and a little top up over lunch at Waitrose.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Passing through, (en route to the mid Wales charge desert!)- actually spent longer there than originally intended due to a planned charge at Leominster not working.
The Leominster post has not worked for other Leaf drivers, though worked for me. Hard to find at night too, tucked away in that unlit last annex! Church Stretton a much more pleasant place to charge :)

Yes mid wales is a charging desert! Without the scattering of zero carbon world posts from Hay on Wye to Macchynllech would be nearly completely so!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts