Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to replace the 12v battery on my C-Zero as the RAC tell me it is faulty. It should be straightforward but on the positive terminal where the red plastic fuse box is, there appear to be two nuts holding the connector in place where I was expecting only one. There is one on the terminal itself but there is a second nut which appears to be part of the red fuse box cover - is that supposed to be removed too? With one nut removed the connector appears to be firmly in place and I am reluctant to try prising it off, so it looks like the second nut is holding in. Not having done this before, I don’t want to mess it up. Having got a Yuasa YBX5054 battery, I thought this would be easy but I can’t find a YouTube video on the C-Zero or iMiev that shows what to do and the Go Green Autos post doesn’t help! Any suggestions please?

·
Registered
4,302 Posts
I'm struggling to visualise the problem you're having. Perhaps a photo ?

I don't recall there being anything out of the ordinary removing the positive terminal on mine. Just one nut needs to be loosened, same as the negative.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The positive terminal has a nut on one side (nearest to the windscreen or at the back of the compartment if you are facing it) which comes off easily enough. The connector (the piece of metal with a hole in it that goes over the terminal) appears to be a sort of loop affair which is attached to the red plastic cover by another bolt, so it is like a sandwich with the connector folded over itself and held together by the second bolt, which is on the side of the terminal nearest to the front of the car. Sorry if I have not described that too well. It seems to me the connector won’t budge with the first bolt removed but I may be wrong and perhaps I should use a screwdriver to prise it up, but I’m not sure that is safe.

·
richi.uk
227 Posts
Important: First loosen the nut on the negative terminal and remove the connector from the battery post (tuck it away for safety). Sorry if I'm teaching granny to suck eggs, but you don't want an acid explosion in the face.

Now loosen the nut on the positive terminal. If it doesn't just lift off easily, it's probably corroded onto the post, so try twisting it around the post to break the corrosion. Again, it should just lift off the battery post. All the other gubbins comes with it.

·
richi.uk
227 Posts
The positive nut you want to loosen is peeping out from under the red cover.

Yes, I went out in the rain to get you this. You're welcome ;-)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That looks the same as mine. The positive nut comes off no problem but the connector wouldn’t come off the battery post. Lifting the plastic cover with the positive symbol, there is another bolt which I presume just attaches it to the connector (the piece which goes over the battery post) so I shouldn’t have to touch that? It looked like it was attached to the battery somehow but I must have been mistaken. I will try again tomorrow and let you know how it goes. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
4,334 Posts
Careful - if you twist too hard you can damage the post in the battery (although I appreciate it is your old one). You can gently lever the jaws of the clamp apart with a screwdriver (after disconnecting the negative) if the clamp will not budge.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Managed to get the new battery fitted and all seems OK. I was expecting the positive connector to be the same as the negative one but it wasn’t. After removing the bolt it still wouldn’t budge so as suggested I had to use a screwdriver to prise it apart and it came off eventually. As with all things it’s easy once you know how! Big thank you to everyone.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts