Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. Apologies in advance if the point has been exhaustively discussed many times before (I suspect that it has), but, now that the Citroen C Zero sale price has been substantially reduced, I am thinking about getting one and will be test driving one soon, but am concerned about range. From what I have read on here and elsewhere a full charge delivers around 60 miles range in Winter (assuming that one has the heating on low or is using the heated seat option!) and a possible 70 - 80 miles during the Summer (without the air con on). Is that broadly right? I assume no one has managed the famed published 93 miles! Also is it really no more than 6 hours to charge the thing on a normal domestic? Grateful for all insights. I am also considering a used Renault Zoe, which seems to deliver around 80 miles in Winter, but am concerned that I may not be able to park the thing on my rather narrow drive!

·
Premium Member
9,823 Posts
Benefits of the CZero is that it is battery included and seems very reliable. Battery included used Zoe are hard to find.

I assume Citroen are selling off their stock. What sort of price are you looking at for a new CZero? Bear in mind that the new 40kWh Zoe can be bought for around £17.5K cash including battery and 4 year warranty.

·
Registered
519 Posts
The C Zero and Peugeot Ion are from the Mitsubishi I-Miev. Look up the Mitsubishi forum section on here and read

iMiEV/C-Zero/iOn range

I bought this yr a 5yr old Ion and am pleased with it but it works for me because i use it for the journeys it will do and my ICE car for others.
The question you pose is reasonable and the figures you quote are generally in the right ball park but otherwise i have come to learn that it is a "how long is a bit of string".

EVs love "round town" and dislike 70mph or more motorway driving.
With that in mind it then depends how you want/prepared to drive. Yes you can get 93mls but you will not because you would not want to run it to zero, max speed say 30mph, and range anxiety will have reduced you to a nervous wreck.

In short if you are thinking of using regularly close to the figs you quote then forget it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you all for all your comments. Much appreciated. 95% of my journeys are no more than 14 miles to work (so 28 miles each day and an average speed of under 30 mph), but occasionally I will want to head off somewhere. The Citroen C Zero is available new for £12,495 (including the plug in grant) and includes the battery which is warranted for 8 years. I am also looking at a Renault Zoe (late 2015 registration) for £7,500 with a monthly battery lease on top of £85 and so over 5 years will work out broadly the same and has more happening inside! The Citroen is a better fit on my drive (I have a new build home with a narrow driveway at the back of the house), but I reckon the Renault could just about fit on there too and does seem to offer a little more range according to the blogs I have read. I am still very much undecided.

·
Premium Member
9,823 Posts
Have you driven the C-Zero and Zoe? I have driven the Zoe but not the C-Zero - only sat in one (Miev actually). The Zoe is a more modern design (with more toys!) and I suspect is better to drive and will have substantially more range, particularly in winter because Zoe has a heat pump unlike the C-Zero.

BUT if you are thinking of keeping 5 years.I am 99% sure a C-Zero will be more reliable that the Zoe due to simplicity and Mitsubishi engineering.

·
Banned
476 Posts
Never driven Zoe. In addition to proddicts thought of CZeros reliability. Our Czero runs perfectly, 40k driven required a new battery 12v. First accident rear shunted new bumper and boot put them on no change runs perfectly. Second accident wife put it in a ditch written of bought it back, required every panel from front bumper to back bumper including doors windscreen etc. Took panels of put new ones on car runs 10k later runs perfectly. Also have Ion waiting for its return as that has been shunted in rear requiring bumper, was able to,drive number of miles home no flashing lights on dash drove perfectly. Ion at around 15k never required attention other shunt. Interested to no how much involvement French had in car's design I get the feeling Japanese told them to sling their hook and simply provide a badge.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you, Proddick and Stuart. I am yet to test drive the C Zero as Citroen is struggling to get hold of a demonstration vehicle, but Citroen phoned today and one is coming! It is effectively the i-Miev. Some of the styling is a little different to the Ion and the i-Miev, but effectively it is the same thing. Heated seats come as standard now, I am told, on the Citroen C Zero, which will help with range. As long as I can do at least 60 miles in winter (taking it steady) on range for those one or two occasional longer trips, I will be fine. I have read a fair number of blogs written by happy Zoe drivers and so I am keeping an open mind! I hope to test drive a Zoe at the weekend.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts